Brand new Acer Nitro 5 with battery drain of 1%/minute and full battery of only 2 hours.

Anthony81
Anthony81 Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
Hello, I have just bought an Acer Nitro 5, which really works for gaming. The only concer that I have is battery life. A full charge only lasts 2 hours, 2 hours and a half sometimes. The battery drains 1% every minute, by just surfing the web, so imagine when gaming. For a £700 gaming laptop, I do not think that that is an acceptable battery life. The computer is only 7 days old. Any suggestions? 

Best Answer

• Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    By the way, you don’t have to worry. With stock settings, nitro 5 has only that much battery life when it comes to ordinary use. There may me methods to increase it but given to itself, the laptop happens to be that way. It is not a defect.

Answers

• Anthony81
    Update: System Model Nitro AN515-52 (in case someone wants to know)
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try reinstalling the driver for Microsoft ACPI-Compliant control method battery, go to Device manager, expand Batteries, go to the Properties of Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control method battery, uninstall the driver in Driver tab, reboot and let Windows install the driver.

• Anthony81
    Hi,
    You could try reinstalling the driver for Microsoft ACPI-Compliant control method battery, go to Device manager, expand Batteries, go to the Properties of Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control method battery, uninstall the driver in Driver tab, reboot and let Windows install the driver.

So I uninstall it, restart the computer and everything should be fine right?
  • brummyfan2
    Yes, that's correct, sometimes reinstalling the driver rectifies the fault.
  • Anthony81
    Yes, that's correct, sometimes reinstalling the driver rectifies the fault.
    Sadly, it did not work, I think it went even worse. I have 50% with an estimated duration of just 49 minutes.
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi, call acer and check for the warranty support. looks like hardware issue. try to do a factory reset.if its still having same prob then you can contact acer.
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • atulhimi88
    atulhimi88 Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Same problem with me , i have to plugged in my charger to play games and also for normal use as well
  • brummyfan2
    OK, give this a try, manually calibrate the battery for accurate battery life estimates, the instructions are in the middle of this link:https://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/
  • Anthony81
    christy1 said:
    Hi, call acer and check for the warranty support. looks like hardware issue. try to do a factory reset.if its still having same prob then you can contact acer.
    Would I have to send them my laptop or can I also go to the store I bought it from? (Currys PC World)
  • Anthony81
    OK, give this a try, manually calibrate the battery for accurate battery life estimates, the instructions are in the middle of this link:https://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/

Will try that. If that does not work, do you have any more suggestions?
  • Anthony81
    This Acer Nitro has a button that simulates the battery being removed and placed back again. Should I try that?

• brummyfan2
    Anthony81 said:
    This Acer Nitro has a button that simulates the battery being removed and placed back again. Should I try that?

Yes, if you are asking about battery reset button, you can try it as well.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • Slipperyslipped
    Slipperyslipped Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

@Anthony81 did you find a solution to this problem? I'm also losing about a percent per minute.

Don't know what to do. Laptop is still in warranty though
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Anthony81 said:
    christy1 said:
    Would I have to send them my laptop or can I also go to the store I bought it from? (Currys PC World)

@Anthony81,

If unit is with in 15 days then you can try with store,if not you will have to send the unit to acer for a warranty service. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Anthony81
    @Anthony81 did you find a solution to this problem? I'm also losing about a percent per minute.

Don't know what to do. Laptop is still in warranty though
    Hello. Even after all of these months, I still have not found a solution. I called up the shop where I bought my laptop from, and they told me that it’s max. battery life was of 6 hours. By this, they meant 6 hours with the computer idle. With normal use however, the battery shortens a lot, with only 2 hours. Sadly, I have to always have the laptop plugged in. This laptop underperforms in everything when it is not plugged in. 
  • RAZihad
    RAZihad Member Posts: 1 New User
    Use Intel extreme tuning utility to lower the voltage of the CPU. That should double the battery life.
    My battery life increased from 2 hours to more than 4 now.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

• Hahaha
    Intel XTU does not work will all models of nitro 5. So look it up first. 
  • Hahaha
    Answer ✓
    By the way, you don’t have to worry. With stock settings, nitro 5 has only that much battery life when it comes to ordinary use. There may me methods to increase it but given to itself, the laptop happens to be that way. It is not a defect.
  • Anthony81
    Thanks for all the comments, it does seem that the battery life it’s the way is supposed to be. It is understandable as a GTX 1050 does use quite a lot. Although I still find this a bit unreasonable, these components need high power, so it’s normal. The laptop got replaced twice and same results. 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Modern gaming laptops including the Nitro series are not designed to game on battery power only, they cannot reach High Performance on battery alone because no battery can supply the power needed for the CPU and Discrete GPU to achieve any significant performance. 
    It is recommended to charge the battery to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP it plugged into the power while gaming

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★