acer switch alpha 12 screen flickering and going totally black

Rolo123
Rolo123 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi
I recently bought an acer switch alpha 12 core i7 windows 10, model No. N16P3, after 2 weeks of use, it started to flickers and then went totally black from time to time, at least once every time I used it.
I tried changing the power settings disabling the "extended battery life for gaming" and "Display power saving technology" options.  It worked fine for diminishing the frequency of flickerings and screen shut offs, but the eventually will appear again, not as frequently as before, but the problem persists.
I hope someone can give me some advice since I was really exited about getting this laptop but now I'm a bit dissapointed

thanks

Answers

• SMT
    SMT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi
    I have been having the same problem with my Acer Switch Alpha 12 also.  I have had my device for almost 2 years now without this problem.  The laptop has been fantastic until now.  Mine started with the flickering in January or February 2019, not sure of the exact date.  Having looked for other answers online and now seeing your post, I am starting to believe that it is the result of Windows software update.  I have checked my drivers against the Acer and Intel sites and everything is running the current drivers.  The only change to my system has been the windows update.  Hopefully, Acer and/or Microsoft can figure out how to fix this soon.

Has anyone else had trouble and come across a cause or better yet a solution?
  • castrow
    castrow Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have exactly the same "pain". I have updated the bios and the intel driver. it improved (less times during a session) but the rpoblem remains. HW issues? HELP!!!!
  • ebilliot
    ebilliot Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am also having the same problem with an Acer Switch 12 SW5 12-52-55YD. It started a few week ago and has gotten worse. Are there any solutions?
  • deanpark1
    deanpark1 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I am having the same problem, as well.  I have been considering having the battery replaced, but that will cost quite a bit and may not solve the problem.  Like you guys, I'd really like to find a solution with some certainty.  I like the computer and it works well as long as it is connected to a power supply.
  • Switch12
    Switch12 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same exact screen issues - it's just about 13 months after purchase - hence probably not covered. How annoying!!! Is this really a hardware issues, or is there anything I can do to fix it?? Thanks. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I have never seen the issue with my SA12, but if I did I'd likely be looking at the cable that goes between the display and the motherboard. I bet one end is working just the littlest bit loose. Since there's no hinge on these like a normal laptop it's much harder for the cable to break, but just normal jostling could exacerbate a slightly loose connection.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hermfresh
    hermfresh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Switch12 said:
    I have the same exact screen issues - it's just about 13 months after purchase - hence probably not covered. How annoying!!! Is this really a hardware issues, or is there anything I can do to fix it?? Thanks. 
    Were you ever able to fix the issue? I have had the issue and its just recently accelerated.
  • Boojums
    Boojums Member Posts: 1 New User
    billsey said:
    I have never seen the issue with my SA12, but if I did I'd likely be looking at the cable that goes between the display and the motherboard. I bet one end is working just the littlest bit loose. Since there's no hinge on these like a normal laptop it's much harder for the cable to break, but just normal jostling could exacerbate a slightly loose connection.

I'm having this problem now (and have for a few months), having purchased the acer back in the summer of 2017. What are you talking about wrt the cable between display and motherboard? You'd open up the casing and look inside? If I understand correctly it's got a liquid cooling system, and I'm really not certain of where (or how) you'd go about taking it apart. In any case, late 2020 and this problem still seems to be unaddressed. Too bad, pretty neat system otherwise, and I'm sad to have to replace in such a short period of time.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Yes, you'd have to open it up to reseat the cable. They are no too bad to open, there are a couple of screws under the kickstand arms, but it's fairly easy to break tabs as you pry it open and the keyboard cable can be torn if you're not careful when you get to the last tab or two.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.