Change HDD to SSD - Swift 3 Ultra-thin | SF315-52G

lurker20000
lurker20000 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just purchased the Swift 3 Ultra-thin | SF315-52G Silver. Is it possible to change the HDD into an SSD? I would like to run it all on SSD and get myself a 1TB SSD instead. Is this something that is possible?

Also, it doesnt matter if I dont have windows on the machine, I will run Ubuntu on it anyway. But can I replace the disk myself, or can Acer do this for me? Is there somewhere on the Acer website that I can ask to have this done before it ships to me?

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Yes, it is possible to run windows and programs in ssd itself! You can replace the hdd with a 2.5 "sata 3 ssd. However, do you think there is a need to replace the hdd? You could leave the hdd just for backup!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes I want to remove the HDD completely and run everything on SSD, even if it already comes with one. Do you know if this is possible? Can the HDD slot be replaced by an SSD? Something tells me there is not going to be compatability for this?

In the HDD slot you can install an up to 2TB SSD in the 2.5 "Sata 3 standard.
    Already the slot M.2 2280 only tested SSD of up to 512Gb by Acer.
    This does not mean that you can not test others with higher capacities, but I believe the best solution is to keep the 512Gb M.2 and add another SSD from the local HDD.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Good afternoon lurker20000 !

Acer does not make changes to the commercialized devices.
    Then you will have to trade on your own.

What is the EXACT model of your laptop?
    Some versions already ship with SSD included.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• lurker20000
    Hi!

Do you know if I can switch the HDD out for an SSD myself? I would like a 1TB SSD and get rid of the HDD completely.

• Commodore_1995#
    edited April 2019
    This model, already come with a ssd m2 2280 of 512gb!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    As reported in the link you sent, this model comes with a 512GB SSD in addition to the 1TB HDD.
    Even though there is a need to exchange or purchase another SSD?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• lurker20000
    Yes I want to remove the HDD completely and run everything on SSD, even if it already comes with one. Do you know if this is possible? Can the HDD slot be replaced by an SSD? Something tells me there is not going to be compatability for this?
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Yes, it is possible to run windows and programs in ssd itself! You can replace the hdd with a 2.5 "sata 3 ssd. However, do you think there is a need to replace the hdd? You could leave the hdd just for backup!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaClane
    Answer ✓

In the HDD slot you can install an up to 2TB SSD in the 2.5 "Sata 3 standard.
    Already the slot M.2 2280 only tested SSD of up to 512Gb by Acer.
    This does not mean that you can not test others with higher capacities, but I believe the best solution is to keep the 512Gb M.2 and add another SSD from the local HDD.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• lurker20000
    Thanks all! I will have a play with this once it arrives.

I will definitely kill any trace of Windows on it and install Ubuntu instead. After that I will experiment a bit and see if I can get a new disk for it.
  • I do not recommend you do this, because there is a hidden partition from Acer, which allows you to reinstall the original factory operating system! In addition, you will lose the 90-day software warranty! I suggest you choose to do a dual boot!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaClane
    Thanks all! I will have a play with this once it arrives.

I will definitely kill any trace of Windows on it and install Ubuntu instead. After that I will experiment a bit and see if I can get a new disk for it.

Good night !

One thing you should know is that on the original factory HDD (in this case, probably on the SSD) Acer creates a hidden partition on which are the recovery files of your Windows OEM.
    If you remove this partition you will lose the software warranty.
    For the current period, the recommendation is to keep this partition intact.
    In this case you can perform a dual boot with Linux.

If you are in the process of posting help, just post!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Alex0815
    Alex0815 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Hi,

please let me / us know which SSD you plug in and if it works, i can still get no other (larger) SSD running, HDD and M.2

Thanks
  • You are Welcome my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• miran_da_bear
    miran_da_bear Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Has anyone tried to install a 1TB M.2 SSD to the Swift 3?
  • Eozen355
    Eozen355 Member Posts: 27

Tinkerer

Has anyone tried to install a 1TB M.2 SSD to the Swift 3?
    Sorry for my very  bad english, i am french :)
    I have a SWIFT 3 SF315-52G with a M2 SATA 118GB drive and  1TB HDD SATA3 drive.
    I tried to change both but it seems impossible...
    When i try to install 1TB SSD drive (M2 OR SATA 3 HDD),  the laptop hang on ACER logo... I can't reach BIOS.
    ACER doesn't want to help me for that...
    Searches on internet seem to show that a bug appeared after the 1.04 bios, preventing any installation of SSD greater than 512TB, either on the M2 port or the SATA port.
    Their technical support walks me with uninteresting answers ....
    They are however responsible for this bug and are apparently not determined to correct it, probably to sell newer machines ...

• Commodore_1995#
    edited May 2019
    @Eozen355 Ideally, create a new topic by clicking "Ask a question"! Call me by adding a @ before my name!
    @Eozen355 Idéalement, créez un nouveau sujet en cliquant sur "Poser une question"! Appelez-moi en ajoutant un @ avant mon nom!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer