Acer Nitro 5 Linux Installation

JustAnotherUser
JustAnotherUser Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-54GU with i5 8300H, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 1050TI and 1TB HDD with 16GB IntelOptane
PartNumber: NH.Q49SI.001 [Link]

I would like to dual boot Linux and Windows 10, I looked around online but got confused as to what configuration to use like using legacy or UEFI, secure boot ON or OFF,
I also tried live booting Ubuntu which works fine until I try to turn off, it just hangs and Fedora seems to hang at while trying to load the UI (maybe wayland issues?)
hence I am looking for some instructions to get Linux installed and working on this machine,
any help is appreciated.

Best Answer

• JustAnotherUser
    Answer ✓
    Fixed it by adding ' nomodeset ' in grub when booting,
    Installed Ubuntu and Nvidia drivers,
    Rebooted

Works properly now.

Answers

• You can do the dualboot! Ideally, you first install windows and then install linux! Also, since the bios is in uefi mode, you should convert the pendrive to gpt like this:

Then download an iso only x64 from linux! Remember that some versions of linux do not recognize sata mode in "rst with optane". You should select ahci mode, but this will cause the array to be broken!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • You should disable safe boot by creating an easy access password in setsupervisor password!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JustAnotherUser
    You can do the dualboot! Ideally, you first install windows and then install linux! Also, since the bios is in uefi mode, you should convert the pendrive to gpt like this:

Then download an iso only x64 from linux! Remember that some versions of linux do not recognize sata mode in "rst with optane". You should select ahci mode, but this will cause the array to be broken!
    Forgive me for the late reply, had internet issues.

Regarding the linux installation,
    I disabled secure boot, changed to AHCI, and flashed ubuntu using rufus under GPT option,
    but the problem still remains, Ubuntu, Fedora, Kubuntu all seems to freeze and  I'am not even able to get into TTY using (Crtl+Alt+F1),
    however Xubuntu, Kali linux XFCE, ElementryOS did work properly for sometime until they too froze

Here is the video of the ubuntu freezing [Link]

What seems to be the issue ? and how do I fix it? :/

• Is rst with optane mode active? I do not know if there is any problem with this, but so far, the linux operating system does not support rst with optane mode!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JustAnotherUser
    Is rst with optane mode active? I do not know if there is any problem with this, but so far, the linux operating system does not support rst with optane mode!
    I have disabled the optane memory so they appear as two different storage devices (Disk0 and Disk1)

and while livebooting linux set AHCI in bios,
    In Xubuntu I was able to even view the storage devices properly, But I want to install Fedora or Ubunutu with Gnome,
    Could it be a Display driver issue?
  • in this forum in Portuguese, say that it is necessary to install an application so that the icons of the desktop are active, see: https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/topico/UbuntuBR/Problema-ao-abrir-pastas-da-Area-de-Trabalho-no-ubuntu-1804 and https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1465/desktop-icons/

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JustAnotherUser
    in this forum in Portuguese, say that it is necessary to install an application so that the icons of the desktop are active, see: https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/topico/UbuntuBR/Problema-ao-abrir-pastas-da-Area-de-Trabalho-no-ubuntu-1804 and https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1465/desktop-icons/

That is not the problem, no matter what I click on top menu, applications on the sidebar, applications menu, right click etc,
    It is not responding to any input.
  • I'm going to ask a colleague who understands linux to check this topic!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning!

By its report it is very probablevél that the problem is with the video drivers of Nvdia that are propitious.
    This is not the case for all video game models.

Which version of Ubuntu did you try to install?
    Did you use an x64 distro?

Have you tried installing the proprietary drivers?
    See the links below how to do:

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-in-linux

https://websiteforstudents.com/install-proprietary-nvidia-gpu-drivers-on-ubuntu-16-04-17-10-18-04/

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• JustAnotherUser
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning!

By its report it is very probablevél that the problem is with the video drivers of Nvdia that are propitious.
    This is not the case for all video game models.

Which version of Ubuntu did you try to install?
    Did you use an x64 distro?

Have you tried installing the proprietary drivers?
    See the links below how to do:

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-in-linux

https://websiteforstudents.com/install-proprietary-nvidia-gpu-drivers-on-ubuntu-16-04-17-10-18-04/

I have tried Ubuntu 18.04, 18.04.1, 18.04.2 all amd64 version,
    Because of the freezing I am not able to open Terminal or TTY to install Nvidia-Drivers
  • JustAnotherUser
    Answer ✓
    Fixed it by adding ' nomodeset ' in grub when booting,
    Installed Ubuntu and Nvidia drivers,
    Rebooted

Works properly now.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning JustAnotherUser !

Glad you got it fixed!
    Needing something, just post!

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Great my friend! 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rahulpareek9250
    rahulpareek9250 Member Posts: 119 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @egydiocoelho can you help me to boot linux on acer nitro 5 ryzen?
  • deally you create a new topic! Call me by placing a @ before my name! Also, the linux operating system does not support the rst with optane!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tenshi
    Tenshi Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

The problem that i encountered is not able to install nvidia drivers because everytime it just says failed
  • Tenshi
    Tenshi Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

And it gets stuck in shutdown it just freeze
  • @tenshi Ideally you create a new topic by clicking Ask a question! Call me by adding the @!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tkalfaoglu
    tkalfaoglu Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Yep -- I am typing this on a Nitro 5 running Fedora 30.
    I had to change /etc/default/grub  file to read:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 pti=off i8042.nopnp"

• kathir
    kathir Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hey guys i solved it .
    Thereby i installed linux over windows 10 in nitro 5 and successfully boot into it.
    Here is the clear guide of how I did this..
    https://medium.com/@kathirvelk/is-linux-installation-alongside-windows-a-nightmare-in-acer-nitro-5-8f142dfda32f