Official AMD Vega Drivers out (Nitro 5 Ryzen Edition Users)

dclanz
dclanz Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all, AMD has released the official Vega 8 drivers here for the AMD Ryzen 5 2500U processor (among others). If you'd like to try the latest AMD drivers for your Nitro 5 Ryzen laptop then head over to https://www.amd.com/en/support and from the drop down menu select Processors with Graphics then AMD Ryzen processors and finally select your mobile processor (5 or 7) and processing unit (e.g AMD Ryzen 5 2500U). Installed and working here as per the screenshot below. Going to try some games. :) Note the version is radeon software adrenalin 2019 edition 19.2.3 released on February 25th, 2019.

If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
Be sure to check out my Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide.

Answers

• dclanz
    Update: Be advised that the installation will install drivers for the RX560. You can head to the device manager, right click the RX 560 and choose Update Driver, Browse my computer for driver software then Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, uncheck Show compatible hardware and browse the list for the first RX 560X driver (see screenshot). Click next to complete the install and for safety, reboot when it's done. Once you're back in Windows, head to the Radeon Settings and verify that the RX560X tab is accessible (see 2nd screenshot). Game on!

If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
    Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
  • Woofah
    Woofah Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    dclanz said:
    Update: Be advised that the installation will install drivers for the RX560. You can head to the device manager, right click the RX 560 and choose Update Driver, Browse my computer for driver software then Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer, uncheck Show compatible hardware and browse the list for the first RX 560X driver (see screenshot). Click next to complete the install and for safety, reboot when it's done. Once you're back in Windows, head to the Radeon Settings and verify that the RX560X tab is accessible (see 2nd screenshot). Game on!

Will we have to repeat this step every time there is an AMD driver update?
  • dclanz
    @Woofah Hopefully not, as I mentioned having to do all of this on one of AMD's Facebook posts and they requested that I send a report on the issue so they can look into it.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited February 2019
    Any noticable performance increase?
  • Brijac
    Brijac Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited February 2019
    Installed, and didn't need that second step for 560x install as it installed it automatically. 

• dclanz
    Brijac said:
    Installed, and didn't need that second step for 560x install as it installed it automatically. 
    Interesting, seems to have worked automatically for the Ryzen 2700. Same specs but it's labelled RX 560 Series however, once it works for you. Here is the Ryzen 2500 screenshots:

• dclanz
    Red_Sun said:
    Any noticeable performance increase?
    Hey Red, the only performance increase I've noticed is much smoother gameplay with Darksiders 3 and Wolfenstein The New Order which I'm playing back to back at the moment. Also, this could just be me but desktop interactions (dragging/ resizing windows) seem a lot more fluid. I've not done any sort of intensive testing with the new drivers really.
  • Brijac
    Brijac Member Posts: 3 New User
    Performance wise i didn't notice anything drastically, maybe less fps drop, but it removed the most annoying thing (drivers are not up to date) so i'm good :) Also, you can use hardware encoding on recording/streaming platforms such as OBS. I couldn't run Davinci Resolve 15 on the old drivers, i might try and install and run with these. 
  • nestynest
    nestynest Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    hi can you help me?, my ram is stuck at 300 mhz in acer nitro 5, i have updated my bios to the latest and it stuck since.
    thank you so much
  • dclanz
    edited March 2019
    nestynest said:
    hi can you help me?, my ram is stuck at 300 mhz in acer nitro 5, i have updated my bios to the latest and it stuck since.
    thank you so much
    Hi @nestynest can you explain a bit more? How do you know your ram is stuck at 300mhz? You can get more details about your RAM right in Windows using CMD and typing the following (without quotes): "wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, Capacity, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Speed". See my attached image for more details.