Acer Aspire R3 N15W5 won't start

colin_mckellar
colin_mckellar Member Posts: 9 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I tried to upgrade the memory on my laptop today. I have done this many times on other laptops without any problems including a Dell on the same afternoon. 

I put in the new 4GB RAM and put it all back together. Absolutely dead, not a flicker of life. I took the new RAM out and put the original back in and still nothing. The blue power light at the side comes on and there is a bit of noise as if the hard disk is trying to start but the screen remains black. I have tried using a paperclip on the reset button underneath but that just shuts down the machine completely.

All 12 screws are back in place and the casing sits correctly so I am baffled by it.

Any assistance would be helpful

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Check the bottom of the case for a battery reset pinhole. If it exists, remove the charger and gently insert a paper clip for about 10 seconds to disconnect the battery. Then let the machine rest for about 15 mins. Re-install the original RAM. Insert the charger and try to turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• colin_mckellar
    Thanks for your help. Still nothing on the screen but the blue light comes and I can hear the fan running.
  • JackE
    Using a flashlight on the screen, can you make out any reflected images that may indicate the machine has actually booted? If not, can you see anything if you HDMI out to a TV. You may have to press the FN+F5 or FN+F6 toggle key combos to turn either the TV or LCD lid screen on or off. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• colin_mckellar
    I tried connecting to the TV without success. I took the back off again and checked everything inside which looked fine. The safety screw is present so that should keep the kill switch closed.

The only thing working seems to be the fan and the blue light at the end on the laptop. It's as if the motherboard has blown.
  • JackE
    >>>I put in the new 4GB RAM and put it all back together. Absolutely dead, not a flicker of life. I took the new RAM out and put the original back in and still nothing. >>>

This is where it started. ESD could've caused both modules to bite the dust. I suggest removing all memory. Then turn it back on and force the BIOS chip to either issue an error code or perhaps allow entry into the BIOS menu with the F2 key. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• colin_mckellar
    Thanks again for taking time with this problem. Still nothing. Laptop is completely dead apart from the fan. Nothing appears on the screen at all. Not sure if there could be a problem with the kill switch near the reset button.

I've never blown a computer yet after 30 years of working in IT. This could be the first time.
  • JackE
    The safety switch is normally open. Can you manually depress it on an insulated surface with the cover off and battery attached just to see if you can fire it up? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• colin_mckellar
    Same as always unfortunately. Still nothing on the screen and the only thing working seems to be the fan. Am thinking of getting another 2GB of RAM to see if that is cause of the problem and not a blown motherboard.
  • JackE
    For only about £20 more you get 8GB plus free shipping. Have faith. Go big.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• colin_mckellar
    JackE said:
    For only about £20 more you get 8GB plus free shipping. Have faith. Go big.  :) Jack E/NJ
    I agree but would rather find out if the unit actually worked before spending more money on it. The fact that the screen is completely blank with nothing showing might indicate that I have somehow fried the motherboard.
  • colin_mckellar
    The new RAM arrived today but the laptop still won't start up. Looks like whatever happened when happened when I put in the first 4GB of RAM has fried the motherboard.
  • JackE
    I doubt it's fried. More likely an issue due to mechanical disturbance when you changed the modules. Something simple like a loose ribbon cable connector. How much access or visibility do you have to the whole mainboard to go looking for something like this? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• colin_mckellar
    I have checked all the connector ribbons and they seem secure. I have gone round the board and pushed everything into place. Nothing seems loose anywhere. This is completely baffling as I have never fried any computer before as I think that can be the only answer.
  • JackE
    OK. I guess I didn't ask before. Did you pull the battery connector before installation? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• colin_mckellar
    I didn't isolate the battery as I have never had to do that before. I upgraded a Dell laptop same day with no problems. I did watch a couple of Youtube videos and no one there did anything more than remove the back cover and remove the module.
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    >>>I have never fried any computer before as I think that can be the only answer.>>>

Not disconnecting the battery isn't a good practice though it might not've been the cause in this case. Just like not wearing an ESD bracelet isn't a good practice. Especially now that dielectric layers are only a few hundred Å thick. Peer around the RAM slot and see if you can find a small safety interlock switch. The purpose of this switch is to cut power to the mainboard if the back cover is removed. It's possible the cover protrusion which depresses this switch may not be properly allgned with the switch's button. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ