Acer Aspire E15 Fan Suddenly acting weird

Mr_Ghost1
Mr_Ghost1 Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've had this laptop for 2 years now, and the fan suddenly got extremely loud/fast today when I was watching videos/using high gpu. ALOT louder then it ever has been. Now it stays on for a like 30 seconds then goes away. I have updated my BIO, restarted my laptop, and tried to clean the fan (there was a good bit of dust on it, tried to get most of it off). Very UN-expereinced when it comes to taking apart laptops and computers though. But it still continues sometimes for 30 seconds or so when I am using alot of data, then goes away for a while. This particular model doesn't have cooler program or any fan speed utility. Could it be a windows update or a drive update, etc. that's causing this? My last idea is to restore my pc to a earlier date when I wasn't haven this problem with the fan.

Any help with this Aspire E15 Fan problem would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,467 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Well sure, but if you've already removed the heatpipe and fan module to clean them as you indicated earlier, then replacing the fan module should be easy. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Sounds like it's still overheating. Rather than taking it apart and risking more problems, I suggest you alternately vacuum the air intakes and blow air through the air exhausts to dislodge and remove any dust and debris clogs you might've missed deep inside the thermal module if you didn't take this module apart. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    Sounds like it's still overheating. Rather than taking it apart and risking more problems, I suggest you alternately vacuum the air intakes and blow air through the air exhausts to dislodge and remove any dust and debris clogs you might've missed deep inside the thermal module if you didn't take this module apart. Jack E/NJ
    I did this and it seemed to act better for a few days.. well, it still made this weird winding noise the first time it came on during the day. Ater that it seemed to not do that again and the fan seemed to work and sound okay

BUT today, the winding got worse. It is shaking my laptop and making such a weird noise. It also only spins for a second or two then stops, then repeats it's self. It sounds like it losing power or something?

Not sure what to do... any help would be great
  • JackE
    OK. Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point' . Click 'create a restore point' the left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. Look for an automatic restore point with a March 9 or 10 datestamp. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point' . Click 'create a restore point' the left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. Look for an automatic restore point with a March 9 or 10 datestamp. Jack E/NJ
    I tried this just now. Only had one restore point I could use, that was before the 10th. But when I had to restart my pc for the restore it gave me the blue screen error at start up. So I just un-did the restore.

The fan still sounding very faint and weird noises coming from it.
  • Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

Should I just try and replace the fan? I have a roommate is better with computers and could help possibly
  • JackE
    >>>The fan still sounding very faint >>>

What's the matter with sounding faint? At least it's not 'shaking the laptop'. What was the automatic restore point that gave the blue screen? I don't think I like that.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    >>>The fan still sounding very faint >>>

What's the matter with sounding faint? At least it's not 'shaking the laptop'. What was the automatic restore point that gave the blue screen? I don't think I like that.  Jack E/NJ
    Faint as in, not working. My laptop is getting up to 90Celsius easily when watching a stream or video. I never had this problem until March 10th. Seems like ever since the 10th when I posted this, the fan has slowly loss power gradually?

the automatic restore point was set for the 9th and it came up with a blue error message at start up, saying windows didn't boot properly. I'm guessing there was huge updates or something. Cause the next restore point I could choose was for the 12th "Critical Windows Update".. SO i just undid the restore.

Right now I have a hand held automatic fan laying down to my laptop trying to keep it cool...

I also took off the back of the laptop to see how much dirty and dust was in the fan. Surprisingly there was more then I thought. I cleaned it all. But still the fan seems to be doing the same thing. When it is on it doesn't seem like it's doing much, just making a weird winding noise.
  • JackE
    >>>I also took off the back of the laptop to see how much dirty and dust was in the fan. Surprisingly there was more then I thought. I cleaned it all>>>>

The vacuuming probably loosened things up a bit but not enough. I suspect hair wrapped around the fan impeller axel. The thermal module (and heat pipes if equipped) should be removed and thoroughly cleaned. What is your full model number? E5-xxx? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I also took off the back of the laptop to see how much dirty and dust was in the fan. Surprisingly there was more then I thought. I cleaned it all>>>>

The vacuuming probably loosened things up a bit but not enough. I suspect hair wrapped around the fan impeller axel. The thermal module (and heat pipes if equipped) should be removed and thoroughly cleaned. What is your full model number? E5-xxx? Jack E/NJ

Aspire E 15 E5-574G-52QU

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    Here are some pics of it

https://imgur.com/gznexRx

https://imgur.com/Md9tE7o

https://imgur.com/Z4S4dI1

thank you for the responses . I’m a broke student and I really need this laptop 
  • JackE
    OK. First remove the fan. Then remove the heatsink tube. Blow and clean them all out. Check for hair embedded around the fan impeller axle. You may have to remove hair with a tweezers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

I did this and cleaned it.... Now it is back to making a loud noise when the fan turns on. Kind of sounds like its trying to to go full speed but can't and keeps restarting the spin motion. Like something is stuck in it (Didn't see anything in the fan that could cause this)

I am thinking I just might have to by a cooler system for this laptop to compensate for the fan not working right? And just to deal with the sound since I can't figure it out?
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    Well, you could try to replace tbe fan. Not that expensive ~$15. Part # 23.MLNN7.001 Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    Well, you could try to replace tbe fan. Not that expensive ~$15. Part # 23.MLNN7.001 Jack E/NJ

My only worry is I will screw something up when I try to do this and make the laptop actually worse. No many videos/guides for this particular model. But if this is my last hope I guess I have no choice. I don't really want to pay someone at a shop to do it.

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Well sure, but if you've already removed the heatpipe and fan module to clean them as you indicated earlier, then replacing the fan module should be easy. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Good point, I will go ahead and buy the part (#23.MLNN7.001) and cooling pad on amazon and hope that works... If that doesn't work I am thinking it would be the orange heat sink thing??
  • JackE
    >>>orange heat sink thing??>>>>

That's just air cooling conduit from the fan to the CPU and the GPU chips on the mainboard. Should be blown out to chase any dust bunnies that still may be hiding inside.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>orange heat sink thing??>>>>

That's just air cooling conduit from the fan to the CPU and the GPU chips on the mainboard. Should be blown out to chase any dust bunnies that still may be hiding inside.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Well I did not think you could clean the inside of it. I could not get screw # 4 and 5 on the picture you showed how to take it out. The screws were stripped. I would have to get my drill from somewhere and try to get the screws out to get the orange thing completely off. When I said I cleaned it, I meant the outside of it. Do you think this could actually be the problem with my fan and the heating problem on this laptop? I didn't think anything can actually get inside the orange pipes
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    >>>The screws were stripped.>>>

Aye! Are the screws stripped or the phillips head of the screw stripped? A jewelers phillips head screwdriver is needed for these. If you cannot get the heatsink tube off, then try to vacuum the end of the heatsink tube with the fan module removed. The fan pushes air into this heatsink tube to cool the CPU and GPU that are covered by the squares at points A encircled in yellow in the image below. The inside of the heatsink tube could very well be clogged with debris. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Are the screws stripped or the phillips head of the screw stripped?
    I believe the screws was.. I will take a look tomorrow and take the fan out to see where i can vacuum inside the heatsink if I can't get the screws off.

JackE said:

if you cannot get the heatsink tube off, then try to vacuum the end of the heatsink tube with the fan module removed.

The end of the heatsink where it connects to the black part next to fan? Not the other end next to the #4 and #5 screws?