Aspire V5-171-9661, audio out jack intermittent, internal speaker OK

sbershtein
sbershtein Member Posts: 9 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
This laptop DOES NOT appear to have RealTek software.  Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Uninstall the HD audio device. Then use this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4285?b=1  to download the realtek driver zipfile for the original factory installed windows version that was on this machine. Unzip the file. Right click on the EXE installation file. Click properties. Click the compatiblity tab. Checkmark box to run the EXE under compatiblity mode for the original factory Window version. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or  yellow warnings? If not, click on the audio, video, game. etc controllers folder. What device drivers do you see there? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sbershtein

Hope this is enough information.  The USB audio dev and NoMachine adapters are legitimate.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Uninstall the HD audio device. Then use this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4285?b=1  to download the realtek driver zipfile for the original factory installed windows version that was on this machine. Unzip the file. Right click on the EXE installation file. Click properties. Click the compatiblity tab. Checkmark box to run the EXE under compatiblity mode for the original factory Window version. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• sbershtein
    OK.  I did the install.  It added the RealTek driver that was non-existent previously.  All works OK at this writing, but as the problem is intermittent I can't say it's fixed.  Will write back in 24hrs either way.  Thank you for your help!
  • JackE
    OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Make sure system protection is enabled in Control Panel's 'create a restore point' app. This is so a Winupdate can easily be reversed if it decides to re-install the Windows generic audio. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sbershtein
    No good on the fix.  The failure mode is as follows:  Plug outboard speakers into audio out jack.  Hear sound from outboard speakers.  Come back ~1hr later, no sound.  Unplug outboard speaker, hear sound from internal speaker.  Repeat.  I'm going to use a USB audio device for now.  If you have any other troubleshooting/repair ideas I'd enjoy hearing them.
  • JackE
    Do you mean the sound is just shutting off after a certain period of time? If yes, it probably simply means you must edit your Control Panel power plan so the computer never goes to sleep. This is how I set mine to give trouble-free performance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sbershtein
    Yes, I mean the sound is just shutting off.  My settings were to never sleep, but spin down HD and turn off monitor after 20 minutes.  I've set all to never or many days.  I'll see if that fixes it.  I don't see any power-save settings for the audio drivers.  
  • sbershtein
    Sadly, the problem is hardware.  When the sound drops out tapping on the case in the vicinity of the audio connector makes the sound come and go.  In addition the USB 2.0 connector right next to the audio connector is similarly sensitive to tapping.  So perhaps a cold solder or crack in the MB.  I lack the fortitude to open the unit up at this time so thanks for your help, and case closed.
  • JackE
    Don't give up! The audio jack is simply a few mechanical switches inside. The jack's contacts to detect when the plug is inserted or not probably need to be cleaned up a bit. The best way to do this is simply shutting the machine completely off,  removing the battery & charger, and inserting/reinserting the plug a few dozen times to clean them up. Wouldn't hurt to vacuum the jack as well to dislodge and chase out any dust bunnies that could be lurking between the contacts. As for the USB connector, give that a good vacuuming too. Also wouldn't hurt the USB port to moisten a qtip with rubbing alcohol and clean the port's inside. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• sbershtein
    That much 'maintenance' I'm willing to try.  I have some industrial strength contact cleaner too.  I'm not really convinced it will work, but tomorrow I'll certainly give it a try and let you know.
  • JackE
    >>>industrial strength contact cleaner >>>

No. That might attack the plastic as it's usually got some fairly potent solvents. Nothing stronger than rubbing alcohol, 100 proof vodka or gin. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sbershtein
    Tried it.  No joy.  If this laptop had a decent fhd panel with reasonably relaxed viewing angles I'd send it back for repair.  But, as is, I'll just use USB audio and 'hobble along'.

• JackE
    Sorry. You can pickup a new I3 mainboard for about $40 or an I7 for $75. Or if you're adventuresome, a solder-reflow would probably fix the issue if it is indeed a solder issue. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ