A few questions about the Swift 1 (SF114-32-p2pk)s internals

Darkended
Darkended Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently picked one up for college and I've filled up the 64gb flash chip on here so I was wondering whats upgradable inside it, I would open it up myself but I don't have the correct sized bit for it. If possible, could someone tell me if it has a free m.2 or 2.5 inch slot and if the m.2 supports NMVe drives and if the RAM is soldered on or not.

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Darkended 
    This model supports Solid state drive 
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 GB / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    64 GB eMMC

Secure the SSD module to the upper case using one screw.
    Some of the officially listed SSD's are listed below

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    Darkended said:
    Hey so one more question is the m.2 mounting screw included or would I have to purchase one?
    If the screw is not included, you may get the below mentioned screw from a technician at any local computer repair shop.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    Darkended 
    This model supports Solid state drive 
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 GB / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    64 GB eMMC

Secure the SSD module to the upper case using one screw.
    Some of the officially listed SSD's are listed below

• Darkended
    Hey so one more question is the m.2 mounting screw included or would I have to purchase one?
  • Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    Darkended said:
    If the screw is not included, you may get the below mentioned screw from a technician at any local computer repair shop.

• Darkended
    Ok thanks!
  • Darkended
    Hey so I just got my NVMe drive today and it can't read it, it's not showing up in the BIOS nor windows drive manager so unless its a dead drive this laptop probably can't carry PCIe over the M.2 slot.
  • Darkended
    Actually, It's probably a dead drive as it also didn't work on my z97 system.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Member Posts: 22 Networker
    edited September 2018
    I have a similar model and as per this thread I had issues with an NVME drive. Instead I had to get a SATA SSD which worked perfectly. Your experience may be different, best to rule out faulty drive first.
  • Darkended
    Yeah, I got a ADATA SATA SSD to replace my NVMe one and it worked without issue. It's really annoying that Acer advertises it as PCIe 4x compatible and don't bother to include a simple PCIe M.2 enable/disable switch.
  • Bellerophon
    Bellerophon Member Posts: 1 New User
    Here's a list taken off Acer Support today. I ordered the Micron 256 for my Swift 1. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro pretty much wasted my 64GB and, despite adding the smaller Alduino SD card adapter, that SD card STILL sticks out too far for comfort (btw, though, that adapter DOES work just fine! By all means if you're using SD Card, replace that standard adapter!) BONUS: Micron 256 is on sale at Newegg for $60! 
  • mgriff73
    mgriff73 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I purchased the micron SSD from the list on this Page .I haven't been able to get the laptop to recognize it .Any suggestions
  • Darkended
    Hey op here. After a two week long back and forth with acer I found out that it only supports nvme when the intenal flash storage is disabled so you can either return your drive or disable the internal 64gig drive.

If it's a SATA drive Tylenol check disk management to see if it's enabled from there.
  • JR2006
    JR2006 Member Posts: 2 New User
    So, If the internal flash 64gig drive is disabled, does that mean an operating system (i.e. Windows 10) must be loaded on the newly installed SSD?  Also, if a SATA internal SSD is installed does the existing 64gig flash drive remain the booting drive (since Windows 10 was included already installed on it)?