Dead laptop , only white screen Acer Aspire 5222

kristofkiss
kristofkiss Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
I have an Acer Aspire 5222 series laptop. SNID: ************.
Yesterday I got a windows update and a restart was needed, so I restarted the computer but I only got a blank white screen. Hdd led doesn't work, fan speeds up then down. I cannot even access the BIOS. Help me please.
Thanks.

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Harvey]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Shut the machine completely off. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the Alt key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear as in the video below. I suggest you try refresh your machine while saving your personal files. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

Tried it, doesn't work. I assume for this to work firstly the Acer logo needs to be displayed. But in my case when I hit the power button a blank white screen is displayed instantly, nothing else. I was thinking maybe the BIOS is faulty?
  • JackE
    No. Often it's too late by the time the ACER screen appears. Try this. Shut the machine completely off again. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Don't wait for the logo screen to start tapping the F2 key. If you still get a white screen, then assuming it's actually into the BIOS setup menu 'blindly' press the F9 key to load BIOS defaults. Then blindly press the F10 key to save setttings and exit. Then blindly press the enter key, to complete the BIOS menu exit. Then keep your fingers crossed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

Doesn't work either. Now I'm trying to flash the BIOS but I don't know how to do it exactly. If I hold fn + esc keys then plug in the ac power, then start the laptop the screen now is black and fan is at full speed.
  • JackE
    You must have a fat32 formatted USB stick with the BIOS flash file in its root directory for the FN+ESC method to have a chance to work. Usually it doesn't work if the BIOS firmware has been corrupted or the chip itself has been damaged.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

I've downloaded the BIOS from acer and it has 4 files a FLASHIT.EXE a Projchk3,exe a XEWxx214.bat and a XEWxx214.FD. On some forums they say that the files need to be renamed, but I cannot find any infromation about the names to rename. And do I simply just format the USB stick and copy the files or use some program like rufus and then copy the files into the root?

• I would try before doing a power reset! To do this, disconnect the notebook from the electrical outlet and disconnect the lithium battery. Then press the button for thirty seconds and test the notebook with the battery disconnected!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    I agree. Do what  egydiocoelho says first. Changed my mind, if it doesn't work, next try to HDMI or VGA out to an external monitor to see if you get the same kind of screen. Last, try the flash. Put the XEWxx214.FD in the USB root directory.  No other files should be on the stick. If it doesn't work, then try re-naming it to BIOS.FD.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

Yesterday I've already tried the power reset and the external monitor as well, but I'll give it a try again. And for the flash a simple windows format is enough?
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    Yes. MBR partition FAT32 format stick with only the FD file in its root. Jack E/NJ

PS: If the flash works, then I suggest you also change the BIOS coin battery since it's more than 10 years old and likely well below 3v.

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

OK. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it tomorrow afternoon, then ask for help if it doesn't work. I honestly have no idea how a windows update can mess up my laptop this badly.
  • JackE
    Only Win10 updates can do that. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

I was trying the whole afternoon, but nothing so far. Tried different pendrives, renaming , older BIOS -- none of them worked. I've read through different forums but found nothing helpful. There they said that it is normal that the screen remains black while flashing, others said different key combinations, I am sooo confused. During this week I might bring it to my school and ask for help there. I'm really starting to think there is no way to save the laptop.
  • JackE
    Wait. What exact ACER link did you download that BIOS file from? And for what exact Aspire model. I can only find 5220. Not 5222. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

I use this site: https://www.acer.com/ac/hu/HU/content/support-product/3276?b=1&pn=LX.R440C.076 
    An SNID is needed to identify the product.
  • JackE
    it's the 5552 model , not the 5222  model as in your title? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    XEWxx214.FD or the same file renamed to BIOS.FD should be the only file on the MBR FAT32 stick. If the BIOS chip is unable to read stick,  the chip's boot section has somehow been damaged or corrupted but very unlikely due to a Windows update. A remote possibility is that the CMOS lithium button cell battery on the mainboard has developed a dead short. It is more than 10 years old and should be replaced anyway. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

Sorry my bad, it is the 5552 model. I'm fairly certain that the issue is in connection with the windows 10 update since before that the laptop was working just fine, for years. Anyway I'll keep trying with flashing , maybe for the hundredth time it'll work. Whilst flashing the screen should remain completely black, or some text should appear? And if I want to try it with a CD how is it done? Isn't there any other way to solve this issue other than replaceing the motherboard?
  • JackE
    Aye!!! You actually did downgrade to Win10! I assumed you still were on Win7. When did you do this? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

No, I Have been using windows 10 for a year and a half now.