I need to download windows 7 home Premium 64 Bit with sp1 to do reapair on laptop

japentz
japentz Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello,
I am repairing my friends laptop who is NOT technical and did not make restore discs.  Microsoft wants you to go to the OEM (Acer) but Acer does not offer the download.  Yes, i have the Serial number and ID.  I need Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version.   I have the Serial number on the bottom of the laptop.  Its and Acer Aspire.   You would THINK Acer would have a download available.   I GET that the pc is out or warranty so they won't talk to me. 

I KNOW Microsoft took all their download links down.  They want you to get it from the manufacturer who won't talk to me.    I DO get that.   How can these people NOT provide this at Acer?   

I certainly can SUPPORT and fix their pc if only i had the tools available.  I'm not looking to pay their third party who can't help me.   I have the product code on the bottom of the PC.  They should at least have this available if you log in and go to downloads under OS   (there is a tab with Nothing).

Answers

• floorbook
    floorbook Member Posts: 4 New User

You can still download the disk image from the microsoft website if you have the product key.

Here is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

You will need the product key (on a sticker on the laptop) to get the download.

• japentz

Thank you for that but that link only allows for you to enter a key from software that was purchased independently.  It does not allow to download software OEM version and attempting to enter the product key on the laptop I am working on gives the following response:

Error

The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Acer is doing customers a great diservice by not putting the OS on their download tap that says OS in support.

Additionally I have encountered the laptop requires a password to get into the BIOS.  I KNOW my friend has no clue as to why she should even attempt to go to the BIOS.   I cannot get the laptop to boot to the Windows disc.

I was able to find an ISO .  Its a SHAME everyone just cuts people off when they could fix their own PC's.

I did find an ISO of Windows Home Premium 64 bit at
    http://www.pcsteps.com/45-download-windows-7-iso-legally-free/

• floorbook
    floorbook Member Posts: 4 New User

Then they could not gouge people for insane ammounts of money for recovery disks for something freely downloadable on the web Smiley Happy

It sounds like this was a company laptop, since it had the Pro version of windows and a locked down bios.

The hard drive is also probably encrypted and will need to be replaced if you don't have the code.

You will have to find the bios password, or else try a CMOS reset.

I hope it is not a stolen machine.

• japentz

I am certain it is not a stolen machine.  My friend is a 20 year veteran of the company she works for.  It may have been their laptop, but it was most certainly not stolen.   I'll have to rest the CMOS. 

• CabinFever
    CabinFever Member Posts: 2 New User
    Japentz, did you have any issuing the link you provided? Was the file that you downloaded loaded with any malware?
  • Curlytm15
    Curlytm15 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem. I own a Veriton V290G, 9 yrs old. Hard drive died and need to install Win 7 Home Premium on replacement. Windows download site says

Error

The product key you've entered appears to be for software which was pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

ACER support site sucks and offers no solution that I can find. i mean they don't even have an email address that i can send questions too. Does anybody know how to get around this *****??

• TerryMulhern
    TerryMulhern Member Posts: 5 New User
    japentz said:

Thank you for that but that link only allows for you to enter a key from software that was purchased independently.  It does not allow to download software OEM version and attempting to enter the product key on the laptop I am working on gives the following response:

Error

Acer is doing customers a great diservice by not putting the OS on their download tap that says OS in support.

Additionally I have encountered the laptop requires a password to get into the BIOS.  I KNOW my friend has no clue as to why she should even attempt to go to the BIOS.   I cannot get the laptop to boot to the Windows disc.

I was able to find an ISO .  Its a SHAME everyone just cuts people off when they could fix their own PC's.

I did find an ISO of Windows Home Premium 64 bit at
    http://www.pcsteps.com/45-download-windows-7-iso-legally-free-learning process

@ japentz, thanks for the reference, I completed a successful installation on Rufus. Just one remark (in case someone is having issues with the ISO image extraction failure), I had to get the 64bit Ultimate ISO through the ***** file, not Heidoc downloader.

This discussion has been closed.