Why does my laptop's battery drains too fast?

Sunita_Chhetri
Sunita_Chhetri Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 2019 in Nitro Gaming
When my laptop is not put into charging, if it shows 1 hour remaining then it hardly lasts for 30 minutes. It hasn't been even one month that I've bought and used my laptop. What's causing the battery to drain so fast and is there anything I could do about it ? ( I haven't been doing heavy gaming on my laptop yet)

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning  Sunita_Chhetri!

There may be a flaw in your battery's power options.
    Make sure the device is set to High Performance in the power options.
    Always use plugged in?

Please perform the following procedures:

CALIBRATION AND BATTERY RESET

First, disable Quick Start in the power options and disconnect the notebook from the power outlet.

httpswwwhowtogeekcomwp-contentuploads201602fast-startup-650x313pngpagespeedcekM3Qa70mcUpng

BATTERY CONTROLLER RESET
    Access the device manager and look for the "acpi-compatible control method battery driver" and "microsoft AC adapter" and give it up.
    Then restart the notebook for Windows to reinstall and remove any errors.

httpsimagesdrivereasycomwp-contentuploads201811img_5bfe7020cb7efjpg

Process to reset the battery

Disconnect the power adapter.
        Locate the hole to reset the battery in the bottom of the computer.
        He inserted a small clip into the hole. Hold the reset button for 05 seconds.
        Let the computer rest for 5 minutes without power.
        Plug in the power adapter and turn on the system.

The button is the type that is identified in the photo.

External Battery Pack

If your notebook has an external battery, proceed as follows:
    1- Unplug the appliance from the mains and then disconnect the battery.
    2- Press the power button for thirty seconds, so that the static power is dissipated.
    3 - Replace the battery and turn the unit on.

Process for calibrating the battery

For this, you must turn off the device and give a 100% charge.
    Then unplug and use the battery until the battery runs out.
    Reload it as before.
    Repeat the process 3 times so that all cells are fully calibrated.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Red_Sun
    Red_Sun Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Mine's getting pretty bad as well.

Has anyone had any luck with an aftermarket battery in a unit such as this?

• MaClane
    Red_Sun disse:

Good afternoon !
    Have you performed the above procedures?
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    The battery life remaining being reported by Windows is only an estimate. If you change your power consumption at any point within the estimated remaining hour, that estimate is subject to change.
    Considering li-on batteries, they do not discharge at an equal rate throughout. It is not uncommon, as you reach the last remaining 15-20% of the battery life for the battery to start discharging at a faster rate. Also, as your battery gets older it will also hold less of a charge. After 12 months of normal daily usage, my 48Wh Nitro 5 battery has roughly a 7% wear value. Meaning, it is only holding 93% of the charge it did when brand new 12 months ago. This is not a problem or a defect, this is how all lithium ion batteries work.With every charge cycle, and with regular use you will impact the life of the battery slowly. You should easily get 3-5 years use out of this battery before it no longer holds a charge.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    MaClane said:
    Red_Sun disse:

Good afternoon !
    Oh yes indeed. Also made sure power plan limits CPU to 60% on battery.
  • MaClane
    edited March 2019
    Red_Sun disse:
    MaClane said:
    Red_Sun disse:

Good afternoon !
    Oh yes indeed. Also made sure power plan limits CPU to 60% on battery.
    The instructions for architecture of mobile systems are different from the architecture of desktops.
    Both processor and video (in some cases HDD and memory) only achieve performance when the system is set to "High Performance" in the power options and the device connected to a power outlet.
    On battery power alone, the system reduces performance by default.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Yashas24
    Yashas24 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have purchased an acer swift 3 evo i5 chip laptop, according to the company the battery life I should get is 10.5hrs but I am not getting at least 4 hrs even though i am keeping my brightness only 2points not more than that.

thank you.

• Yashas24
    Yashas24 Member Posts: 3 New User
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@Yashas24

I am really sorry for the inconvenience..  Let us do the basic steps first..

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help. Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down. On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and – sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer. Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery. Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down. On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door. Just below that you can find a latch. If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.  Hold the power button for 1 minute. After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn’t bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it’s internal statistics.

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear. Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.  

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.  Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet. Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.  Try to use an alternative charger if possible.  Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

Try windows x 

go to device manager 

expand Battery

right click on all the items below battery – uninstall 

Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@Yashas24

If you are still facing the same issue..  so it's likely the battery meter needs to be recalibrated. If your AcerCareCenter does not have the option to calibrate the battery meter, follow these directions

1. With the laptop turned off, connect the AC adapter and wait for the battery charge LED to turn from solid orange to solid blue.
    2. Turn the machine back on.
    3. Disconnect the AC adapter.
    4. Use battery power until the battery-low warning appears.
    5. Reconnect the AC adapter and fully charge the battery again.
    6. Follow these steps again until the battery has been charged and discharged three times.

It should work fine..

If it is still not working then you might have to replace the battery.

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.   Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - click on "contact support". Scroll down. You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store

Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★