Nitro Sense displaying zero fan speed under auto/custom setting on AN515-42

Red_Sun
Red_Sun Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey all,
This problem just popped up out of knowwhere. Only way to adjust fan speed is to click on maximum button. I click on auto or custom and it goes right back to zero. I guess it might make sense for the fans to not spin under auto option if the cpu is running cool, but not where I had it set for custom. Restarting Nitro sense helps, but only for a few minutes.

Let know if anyone has had this problem. Saw another thread where poster reported Predator sense exhibiting similiar behavior, but no resolution occurred. In the meantime will reinstall NS and cross fingers.

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Red_Sun 
    Are you using a third party application to control or access the fans?
    Did you try updating/reinstalling Nitro Sense?
    have you checked by using application or playing games that needs more power from CPU?
    The fan is controlled by a thermal sensor. When the upper edge is reached, the fan starts. It is stopped when the lower threshold is reached by the cooling action.
    You can try reinstalling the Nitro Sense : Download and quick access application : Download 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Sonny_313
    Sonny_313 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    I am glad that I found this thread. 
    I bought acer nitro 5 few days back and one night after coming from work I noticed the same I even re-installed nitro-sense and stared changing settings and power plans. It didn't helped so after a while I started watching 4k video on my laptop. As soon as the my CPU temperature hit 40c temp. everything was back to normal. It's actually quite cold where I live when I start my laptop everyday the temp comes from 17c. 

THE SYSTEM WILL AUTOMATICALLY START YOUR FANS ONCE THE TEMPRATURE HIT 40C. I HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP. ;) 

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Red_Sun 
    have you checked by using application or playing games that needs more power from CPU?
    The fan is controlled by a thermal sensor. When the upper edge is reached, the fan starts. It is stopped when the lower threshold is reached by the cooling action.
    You can try reinstalling the Nitro Sense : Download and quick access application : Download 

• Red_Sun
    Sharanji said:
    Red_Sun 

Appreciate the response. Re-installed it. No change.

So even if I used the 'custom' feature, disengage the auto button underneath, the fans will only start spinning if CPU/GPU is above a certain temperature? When I first purchased the laptop, I swear using the 'custom' feature allowed me to turn the fans on at will, with whatever speed I am using.

I am concerned because would like to be sure I don't have a bad temp sensor. I hate going through RMAs... :s
  • mateodelrojas
    mateodelrojas Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the exact same issue I just got my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 on oct 12 and experiencing this issue along with freezing that is only remedied by closing and reopening my laptop

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    @Red-Sun! What is the version of your bios? There is a version that fixes the system management unit! This chip controls the power saving function! However, I'm not sure if it will fix your issue: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.10_A_A.zip?acerid=636767338274193133&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NITRO&Step3=NITRO AN515-42&OS=ALL&LC=pt&BC=ACER&SC=PA_3#_ga=2.93151962.696199812.1540933681-443835305.1540933681
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Sonny_313
    Answer ✓
    I bought acer nitro 5 few days back and one night after coming from work I noticed the same I even re-installed nitro-sense and stared changing settings and power plans. It didn't helped so after a while I started watching 4k video on my laptop. As soon as the my CPU temperature hit 40c temp. everything was back to normal. It's actually quite cold where I live when I start my laptop everyday the temp comes from 17c. 

THE SYSTEM WILL AUTOMATICALLY START YOUR FANS ONCE THE TEMPRATURE HIT 40C. I HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP. ;) 
  • Sonny_313
    Here is screenshot at 33c and once it hits 40c temperature.
  • It was very helpful to your response @Sonny_313! This demonstrates that there is no problem with the hardware!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • KedWalker
    KedWalker Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Its because the heat not enough to turn on the fan .. u should run some task and the fan will be running again .. 
  • Red_Sun
    Thanks for the responses to this old thread guys! Guess I am not used to having a laptop that doesn't constantly run at nuclear reactor meltdown temps, lol.

I also have noticed sometimes the GPU temp is reading 0 degrees under gaming loading, while the CPU is registering a normal load temperature. I verified via hardware monitor the GPU was, in fact, being utilized and running at whatever normal temps for gaming is. I just chalked this up as a bug and moved on.
  • @Red-SunHave you tried updating the bios? See if the unlocked predator program fixes your problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iLRSJ5cqrwvRW9eZmEInHYURTliN0gpH

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red_Sun
    @Red-SunHave you tried updating the bios? See if the unlocked predator program fixes your problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iLRSJ5cqrwvRW9eZmEInHYURTliN0gpH

Yes. I haven't gotten around to the latest version yet, but I have 1.11.
  • Please do not upgrade to version 1.12 as it was reported that this version erases the keyboard light when the notebook is plugged into the power adapter! Just try downloading the predator sense program that I sent!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ugurcnky
    ugurcnky Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Sonny_313 said:
    Here is screenshot at 33c and once it hits 40c temperature.
    It was very helpful to your response @Sonny_313! This demonstrates that there is no problem with the hardware!
    I have same problem but my cpu fan not working. temperature is going to 97C
  • @ugurcnky Ideally, you should create a new topic. Add me by putting an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Workedforme
    Workedforme Member Posts: 1 New User
    Sonny_313 said:

Thanks brother i was about to lock complain for this khali fokat me warranty claim hojati This helped