High temperature on high performance and issues after the 1.22 BIOS update on Acer Nitro 5, i7 8750H

Kholat
Kholat Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, all! Ive searched and found similar topics and some answers, but just to make it clear for myself, Ill ask here again, and I thank every answer in advance!

I have Acer Nitro 5, i7 8750H, 2.20/4.10 GHz, 9 MB), Nvidia GTX 1050ti, 16GB RAM). I run it on Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. The machine is under warranty. 
Soon after I got the machine (less then a month), it seems to work on high temps. On High performance the CPU quickly reaches peak temps of 95-96-97 degrees Celsius when playing (FPS multiplayer), while the average temp on this high performance use goes around 83-88 degrees. The GPU never goes above 71-73 degrees. I use Nitro Sense and Aida 64 to keep an eye on the performance, and both show those numbers. I use CoolBoost and max fan speed, but it doesnt really seem to make a difference. I have a cool pad, but... you know. If I switch to Balance mode, the CPU temp drops to steady 63-65 Celsius, which is the same for the GPU, but the gaming performance suffers. Unfortunately, Ive updated the BIOS firmware driver to 1.22, which now I know was a mistake, since I have the known issue with the keyboard backlights (switch off after 30 secs) and I also noticed, that the battery starts to recharge on random periods of time (which I think might be on purpose, but affects the gaming performance when it starts to recharge while playing). 

Is it normal to have average above 80 degrees Celsius while playing the multiplayer or I should definitely do a diagnostic in Acer Service?
Is it possible to blame the BIOS update for the heating issues as well?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• What is the exact model of notebook? Example an515-51!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kholat

Tinkerer

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention this. It is an515-52
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kholat

Tinkerer

I see. The table with temperatures is ok. I really hope that I dont have this masking tape as well. I do not want to open the laptop to check...
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited January 2019
    So far, the only bug one found in version 1.22 of bios, was in relation to the keyboard light! Did you confirm the temperatures with hwmonitor?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kholat

Tinkerer

Hi! I tried today the HWmonitor. It shows basically the same temperatures for the CPU and GPU. The clocks on all cores are around 3890mhz when playing on high performance. Still getting the high temp peaks from time to time. By the way, I bought new cool pad, and I think it works better (more expensive, more fans etc). From the Acer authorized service told me, that those temperatures for heavy using on high performance are OK. I guess it will be ok, at least for the warranty period and after that... who knows :) 
  • I consider that temperature to be 97 degrees high! Is your notebook showing shutdowns? Did you buy a cool pad that uses power output to be plugged into the electrical outlet?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kholat

Tinkerer

Well, those high temperatures of 94-97 degrees Celsius are just peak moments - the CPU reaches them only for fractions of a second, then cools down. As I said, the average temp during heavy load (playing a game for 40 minutes to 1 hour) is about 83-88 degrees. The machine has never shut down or restarted because of the temperature. I am just concerned weather those temperatures are really normal, or not. Overall, the performance of the machine is very good. With other games (older) the average temp is around 65-75 on high performance. 
    The new cooling pad is simple, it is USB connected to the computer, but has two large (140mm) fans, and it works good, at least for now. The one game, that is causing high degrees is a particular first person shooter online. I think, the fact that the game is online and is poorly optimized, is the reason for the high temps. Today I will install a more recent, high-demanding game, and will try to play it offline on high performance, just to compare whether the online playing might be the problem, or it is all the same.
    I appreciate your attention! Cheers!
  • The ideal would be to buy a cool pad that has a power outlet that can be plugged into the electrical outlet! Have you checked the temperatures with the nitrosense program?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kholat

Tinkerer

Yes, I will buy one, or will make one myself. I use NitroSense, Aida64 and HWmonitor, and all programs show the same. I think all these programs use information from the BIOS anyway. 
  • KedWalker
    KedWalker Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    i also facing this problem .. i undervolt my cpu -0.160v and temp is about 70c-80c while gaming for cpu and 60-75c for gpu