Can't save game profile information

brockenflabel
brockenflabel Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a problem with playing No Mans Sky game.
When I first installed the game, it automatically choose to use the integrated graphics chip instead of using the much more powerful RX560 videocard.

I tried several solutions but none seemed to work for long, because the problem kept coming back.  Finally by accident I saw an option in Windows 10
at the bottom of the Systems settings screen called Graphic Settings.  It shows a page where you can tell Windows 10 to use which videocard for which 
application.  At first it worked, but then mysteriously it stopped working.  Then late while getting my Radeon console to work I noticed that it won't 
save any game profile changes?   I also stumbled by accident upon a setting called Switchable Graphics.  It has three options, power savings,high performance,based on power source.
It only shows one video option tho, my integrated graphics chip Vega 8.  So if I select high performance, it says "high performance Vega 8"?

It seemed to work temporarily, but the Radeon console changes won't save, once I restart the computer the changes on all my Radeon go back to default?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for 'fast startup' to disable 'fast boot'. Change to desired Radeon settings. Shutdown. Turn it back on. Are the settings retained now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

It was already disabled.  But thanks for replying.
  • JackE
    Well, then, have you also already tried to re-enable fast boot? Same deal. Are the settings then retained? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

oh ok, ill try that then, enable fast boot and see.
  • brockenflabel

Tinkerer

Well I tried to Enable it, same problem.
    One thing I noticed is under Gaming--> No Mans Sky, if I make changes like Triple buffering ON.  then leave , 
    under No Mans Sky is says "enabled".   Its "enabled until I restart the computer.

• JackE
    Instead setting the power plan thru the AMD app, see if Windows Control Panel 'change power plan' setting will stick. Sounds like AMD isn't over-riding whatever Control Panel power plan setting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

power plans stick in windows 10 on my machine, ive changed it and it stays.

One weird thing I just noticed is that I said every time I restart the computer I lose my game profile to default.
    Well for some unknown reason, its intermittant?  yes,  I tried it 8 times.

7 times game profiles got set to default, but the 8th time it didn't?  Why?  I don't know I did nothing different?

• JackE
    Intermittent, argghhh! Seems like the game file responsible for saving personal profiles is getting overwritten on startup. The only thing I can suggest from the ACER Win10 system point of view is to go back to checkmarking fast startup in Control Panel power button settings. The small amount of energy that's used when shut off may be enough to retain memory profile. Other than that, you might try to look for suggestions on how to override the default profile on the game forums. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

Actually I forgot one thing I played around was "I flipped it"

I first Enabled fast startup, then restarted
    1) still same problem, restart
    *2)profile stayed?, restart
    3) default, same problem, change, restart
    4) default, same problem, change, restart
    5) default, same problem, change, restart
    6) default, same problem, change, restart
    7) default, same problem, change restart, changed to Disable Fast Startup.
    8) default, same problem, change, restart, changed to Enable Fast Startup
    *9) profile stayed?

• JackE
    Well, we gotta have a (#10) for good measure. Leave it on fast startup. Shut it down again. Then start it up again. Did profile stay?  And what's the name of the game you're experimenting with? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

No Mans Sky,  an opengl game.
  • JackE
    How about joining on of the Redditt groups recommended by NoMansSky? https://www.nomanssky.com/2014/06/community/
    such found here  https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/  ?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

So I consider this problem solved. well two problems solved.

[1]memory leak problem, caused by installing Radeon Adrenalin drivers instead of installing Acer Radeon drivers.
    I had to use the amdcleanup utility to get rid of Adrenalin first.  I didn't know Acer drivers were slightly different.

[2]Radeon not saving profile:  I had to Enable Fast Startup in windows power.  Some people have to disable fast startup.
  • JackE
    Congratulations on solving the two problems! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

Actually I may have spoken too soon.  I thought it was saving my profile, because it says "enabled"  but I just noticed that
    when I go into the graphic settings they are all returned to default?  So Im back where I started now.
  • JackE
    Are we still referring to the graphic settings inside the NoMansSky environment? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brockenflabel

Tinkerer

I tried No Mans Sky

- v sync ON, Triple buffering ON  25fps

- v sync OFF, triple buffering ON  25fps

- v sync OFF, triple buffering OFF 25 fps

they had exact same frame rate and same game smoothness as far as I could tell

does this mean its not being enabled?  Too bad radeon didn't have some kind

of registry entry I could just go in and modify its settings somehow.  I looked

in the registry but can't seem to find any config.

• JackE
    I tried No Mans Sky
    - v sync ON, Triple buffering ON  25fps
    - v sync OFF, triple buffering ON  25fps
    - v sync OFF, triple buffering OFF 25 fps

This suggests the game isn't setting the adapter at all. Better give me your full ACER model number, AN51x-xx? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ