Changing Hard Drive to SSD Acer Aspire E 14

Musicman58
Musicman58 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently tried to change my old hard drice in my Acer Aspire E 14, with a Kingston 240 GB SSD. I used Minitool partition Wizard to clone the old hard drive to the new SSD, but when I installed the SSD in the Aspire and turn on the power button, it says there is "No Bootable Device". I used a NEXSTAR dual Drive dock to clone the drive, but the sofware said I had to change the source drive from MBR to a GPT first. So now that I have the SSD cloned from the original HD, I changed it back to MBR. I Noticed there are three partitions. Which one needs to be set to active? How do I make the new SSD bootable? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night Musicman58 !

If the original HDD was in MBR and Bios set to Legacy, your SSD will only be recognized that way.
    If the SSD was passed to GPT, Bios should be set to Uefi mode.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Musicman58
    Musicman58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    MaClane said:
    Good night Musicman58 !

If the original HDD was in MBR and Bios set to Legacy, your SSD will only be recognized that way.
    If the SSD was passed to GPT, Bios should be set to Uefi mode.

I believe the original drive was MBR. But I changed it tp GPT to do the clone of the original drive to the new SSD. I was able to successfuly copy the original drive to the SSD, and was able to change it back to MBR. The laptop will still not recognize the drive as bootable, even after I made sure the boot mode was "legacy"  mode. The original and ssd copy both have three partitions. the first is called "* system reserved" the second is called "Acer" and the third is called "unallocated". I made the "Acer" patition set as "active" but I still cant get it to boot. Should I change the first partition to active? Please help