Microsoft Office ?

Bobby1964
Bobby1964 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I'm trying to convince my wife that for what she does on a laptop using her Office 365,  the same could be done on my new Acer Spin 11 (CP311-1HN-C3E3, 2018 model) by downloading Office Online onto my Chromebook and signing into her Microsoft licence account.

I'm no expert, but I do realise that not all functions will be the same as what she currently gets on her laptop, but surely it can't be that different ?

Can anyone share their experience using Office on their Chromebook and is it usable ?

Thanks

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @Bobby1964

Microsoft offers a Microsoft Office 365 application that is available for purchase in the Google web store. If you do not want to purchase the Office 365 subscription, you can use the Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides applications to create or edit Microsoft Office files. Use the instructions below to edit Microsoft Office files on your Acer Chromebook.

1. Click the Launcher  icon in the lower left corner.
    2. Choose the program you want to use to edit your files.
      • Docs - Create, edit and save Microsoft Word documents.
      • Sheets -  Create, edit and save Microsoft Excel documents.
      • Slides -  Create, edit and save Microsoft PowerPoint documents.
    3. Locate and double-click on the file you want to open.
    4. Edit and Save your file
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Bobby1964 said:
    Hi, I'm trying to convince my wife that for what she does on a laptop using her Office 365,  the same could be done on my new Acer Spin 11 (CP311-1HN-C3E3, 2018 model) by downloading Office Online onto my Chromebook and signing into her Microsoft licence account.

I'm no expert, but I do realise that not all functions will be the same as what she currently gets on her laptop, but surely it can't be that different ?

Can anyone share their experience using Office on their Chromebook and is it usable ?

Thanks

Yes, regardless windows Operating system and Chrome Operating system Office online features would still be the same.. its just that in windows computers office files can be edited offline but not in chromebook.

Adding to this most of the latest acer chrome devices are compatible with playstore apps. So, if your device has this feature you can follow this link to use android office application. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Many features of O365 are not available in online versions of Office apps. For instance, 3D models, Icons, Design Ideas, etc.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • IvorTollah
    IvorTollah Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    You won't be able to "download" Office 365 on to the Chromebook unless you are talking about using the Android apps in the Google Play store.

The browser version of the office 365 app suite (https://office.live.com) is a good stopgap if you just need to do some basic work but I found you rapidly run into limitations - particularly in something like Excel which has a lot of the more advanced functions and features missing.

Depending on what your wife does in Office it could be a very good solution, otherwise I think the Google Docs apps are at least equal if not superior to the Office 365 versions, it comes down to personal preference I suppose.