Fan speed control and Overheating on Aspire VN7-592G laptop

DarkAEther
DarkAEther Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey there,

I have an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-592G running a dual boot Windows 10 and Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.
The problem below persists in both OSes.

I am noticing heating issues in the area below the keyboard.
It is not noticeable from the top, but the bottom of the laptop just under the keyboard becomes burning hot. The CPU is idling and the GPU is off. The fans also switch off due to no load.

Acer has not allowed access or has not built in any PWM capable sensors, so controlling fan speeds using Linux tools such as fancontrol and similar is impossible.

In Windows, I don't have any fan control software from Acer, except Coolboost which is always ON.
I tried Nitro Sense and Predator Sense with no luck. The applications don't show any fan rpm or CPU frequencies (since my laptop is neither a Predator nor a newer Nitro).

Does anyone have any advice?

Machine Specifications:
i7 6700HQ
Geforce GTX 960M 4GB
1TB Hybrid Hard Drive
16GB DDR4 RAM

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What are CPU/GPU temps under both high and low loads? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RK66
    RK66 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello,

I am having the exact same issues as you DarkAEther. I have the same exact laptop with same specs. I dont know if this is a common issue as I just bought this secondhand from someone. Did you somehow resolve this issue?

And to answer your question JackE. The CPU idles at about 45-60 and under a high load it can reach all the way up to 88-90 degrees Celsius. The GPU goes up to 90 degrees while under load.

I would really appreciate some helpful feedback, thank you.

Machine Specifications:
    i7 6700HQ
    Geforce GTX 960M 4GB
    1TB Hybrid Hard Drive
    16GB DDR4 RAM

• JackE
    If the machine is not reaching the throttling threshold, which is quite high for this model, then your system seems normal. If it does throttle, then cleaning & re-pasting the thermal module is suggested. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RK66
    RK66 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your quick response.

So are you telling me that these temps are actually okay?  Im afraid that these temperatures may damage my pc if they stay like this for an extended period. Also the fact that it burning hot underneath the laptop.

and because I am unable to monitor my CPU fan speed then I cant say for certain if it is throttling, however the fan speed seems to increase once I start playing a game. But I do have the intention to reapply thermal paste, hopefully that helps and it is not a hardware malfunction.

• JackE
    >>>So are you telling me that these temps are actually okay?  Im afraid that these temperatures may damage my pc if they stay like this for an extended period. >>>

No. Just saying they seem normal according to the thermal module specsheet. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ