Is the fans of the predator change randomly even if doing nothing?predator helios 300 )

idan1243
idan1243 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2019 in Predator Laptops
I've owned a gaming laptop - Acer predator helios 300 since an half year now

SPECS : i7 7700hq, 16gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb, 256gb ssd, 2td hdd

For some reason ive been noticing that the fans sound louder and then quieten randomly during use. Even when I'm idle and not gaming or doing something heavy

I have checked predator sense to confirm that the fans in fact ARE spinning faster

This is getting really annoying and i don't know where the problem lies. It would be nice if someone helped out!

Please help

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Even if the device is idle, there are background processes that load the CPU. When the CPU works it produces heat and when the temperature goes a bit higher than fans speed up a bit. The fan speed changes according to temperature not load.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• idan1243
    idan1243 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I know that but there is nothing that soposse to make the cpu to change his fans like this. I checked in the task manger and other then google chrome there is noting that take this much cpu power processing or ram usage.

Do you know where more I can check dipper in the system? to find the root of this behavior?
    because I don't remember when I buy it it was like this.

Thanks
    ven98 said:
    Even if the device is idle, there are background processes that load the CPU. When the CPU works it produces heat and when the temperature goes a bit higher than fans speed up a bit. The fan speed changes according to temperature not load.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Maybe there is a dust build up in the fans and now they have to spin faster in order to cool CPU the same way as before. Is the laptop resting on a hard surface?

Download HWiNFO and report the temperature of the CPU when the system is idle.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• wally_conf
    wally_conf Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2022
    Hi I had the same problem. My fan would randomly spike mildly high and then off. I checked my task manager / resource manager and noticed that my CPU utilization was high. After this I went to my Predator Sense to monitor the CPU temps. I noted it was 185 degrees Fahrenheit and would bump down to 165 and then 140ish when the fan would stop. I continued to monitor the temps and it again would spike to 185-190. I then filtered my running processes using the most CPU. Acer Care service's process was consuming nothing alarming with the CPU however it was constant. I ended the process and then opened the Acer Care application's settings. I disabled background apps, and I also repaired it. Since doing this my CPU temps have decreased to an average of 100-110 degrees. I have screen capped my predator sense to show this. Moral of the story, definitely check bloatware, if you don't know what a process is, check the file location and the properties. In my case it was Acer "Care Center" bloatware.

Now this may not work for you, but the issue is hardware or software. Update drivers, OS, and make sure that's squared away and then start addressing the running processes on your computer. If your fan is on the GPU or CPU is being utilized. Figure out what using it. Kill all apps that don't need to run. Close your internet, disable your startups, and make a clean baseline with nothing running and start filtering for programs that way. Best of luck and I hope this helps!!!!!!

• wally_conf
    wally_conf Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2022
    Hi update: The offending process is ACCStd and I have brought up the properties to show that it is related to the Acer Care Center. I have provided two screen caps as evidence / demonstration of what I explained earlier. I have also included a third screenshot of the app you can find on your computer so you can terminate it, repair, reset, or uninstall it. If you don't have a warranty, you don't need it anyways.