Aspire ES1-523 stuck on BIOS

hellobilly
hellobilly Member Posts: 62 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
My laptop, Acer Aspire ES1-523 is stuck on the BIOS screen.
It all started when I installed Ubuntu, but kept Windows, so I dual-booted it? :p Well, I, stupid *****, as I am called, except of booting into Widnows, I booted in System Setup instead. Realising my mistake, I shutted down the computer with the power button. After opening it, it was stuck on the boot screen  :# . I cannot restore the device via loading system defaults. I'll just recreate the BIOS menu.
Information                                                                                                        Main (ask me)   Security (ask me)     Boot

CPU info: AMD E1-7010 with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics                                                                                              Boot Mode [UEFI*
                                                                                                                                                                           Secure Boot: [Enabled]
System  BIOS Version: V1.01                                                                                                                                    Boot Priority Order

GOP Version: AMD GOP x64 Release Driver Rev. 1.58.0.0.0. Feb 17 2015. 15:41:41                                                 Windows Boot Manager
                                                                                                                                                                          HDD: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HDD Model Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                           ATAPI CDROM: Slimtype DVD A Da8AESH
HDD Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                                 USB FDD: (unknown once again  :open_mouth: )
ATAPI Model Name: Slimtype DVD a DA8AESH                                                                                                      Network Boot-IPV4: (unknown once again  :open_mouth: )                                                                                                                                                                                                    USB HDD: (unknown once again  :open_mouth: )
                                                                                                                                                                        USB CDROM: (unknown once again  :open_mouth: )
Total Memory: 4096 MB                                                                                                                                      Network Boot-IPV6: (unknown once again  :open_mouth: )                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Serial Number: *************************
Asset Tag Number: (unknown mwahahahhhahahahahahahhah)
Product name: Aspire ES1-523
Manufacturer Name: Acer
UUID: C3EAE1F8890A11E6AFC0FC5962DB395

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Harvey]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    As noted earlier, your HDD's hidden ACER Win10 recovery partition has either been erased or corrupted. So you seem to have the following 3 choices.

(1) Use Windows USB media creation tool to try to re-install a generic Win10 version on your machine. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery . It will likely require downloading a few ACER drivers to get everything working again https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6885?b=1

(2) Download and try to install another Linux version such as Mint.

(3) Try to purchase the ACER Win10 version on a USB HDD based on your machine's serial number id (SNID) https://www.acer.com/ac/el/GR/content/support Price would be about $50 USD if it is available in your region. This should have all the ACER drivers pre-installed and return your machine to a factory fresh state. This would probably be the easiest for you to try.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rebit
    rebit Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Use another computer to make a USB (that will be wiped) using the MCT. Set the UEFI options to Secure Boot and plug the damn stick in and turn it on. Acer machines will always read a correctly formatted USB stick in preference to anything else.

If you really want to make sure there are no issues, remove then plug the drive into a USB-SATA cable and use diskpart to erase everything on it before starting.

Answers

• JackE
    >>>I booted in System Setup instead.>>>

What do you mean by this? How exactly to did boot into System Setup? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    >>>I booted in System Setup instead.>>>

What do you mean by this? How exactly to did boot into System Setup? Jack E/NJ
    In Ubuntu, (dualboot) after the choice to boot into Windows, is a BIOS Setup option. Hope you can understand ;) !
  • JackE
    Turn the machine completely off. Then turn it back on again and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Go to the BIOS Main tab and make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled. Then go to the BIOS boot tab and make sure Windows Boot manager is ahead of Grubxxx.efi. Then F10 to save settings and exit. Shut the machine off again. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F12 key to bring up the Windows boot manager. Select Windows. Does it boot into Windows OK. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    edited February 2019
    JackE said:
    Turn the machine completely off. Then turn it back on again and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Go to the BIOS Main tab and make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled. Then go to the BIOS boot tab and make sure Windows Boot manager is ahead of Grubxxx.efi. Then F10 to save settings and exit. Shut the machine off again. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F12 key to bring up the Windows boot manager. Select Windows. Does it boot into Windows OK. Jack E/NJ
    Hey, appareantly, I don't have the Grubxxx.efi thing. Should I just continue or not?

• JackE
    Yes. Want to see if you can still boot into Windows OK. Also remove the ubuntu installation stick or disc. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    edited February 2019
    JackE said:
    Yes. Want to see if you can still boot into Windows OK. Also remove the ubuntu installation stick or disc. Jack E/NJ
    No luck. Do you maybe know how many times I need to press the F12 button? I spammed it for 6 seconds.
    Edit: I spammed it before the logo appeared, the most I could spam it is 3 seconds if the logo appeared.  :astonished:
  • hellobilly
    edited February 2019
    I don't think I'm able to boot into Windows Boot Manager. What if I make a bootable USB stick and force my computer to boot with it via BIOS, then install Ubuntu?
  • JackE
    Go back into the BIOS menu. Make sure the F12 & D2D options are still enabled. I also think you'll have to set & save a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password, disable secure boot and save settings again. Then see if the F12 option works. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Go back into the BIOS menu. Make sure the F12 & D2D options are still enabled. I also think you'll have to set & save a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password, disable secure boot and save settings again. Then see if the F12 option works. Jack E/NJ

Got it.
  • hellobilly
    edited February 2019
    Do you know for how much time I need to spam the F12 button?

• hellobilly
    I feel like it's booting too fast, any ideas?  :/ 
  • JackE
    Is it still going to setup screen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Is it still going to setup screen? Jack E/NJ
    It is.
  • JackE
    And you can't seem to navigate this setup screen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    And you can't seem to navigate this setup screen? Jack E/NJ

Nope, I can't. 😞
  • JackE
    What are you trying to navigate with? A USB mouse? Touchpad? Keyboard? Have you tried them all? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    What are you trying to navigate with? A USB mouse? Touchpad? Keyboard? Have you tried them all? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, I have tried them all.
  • JackE
    Just want to make sure the ubuntu iso was on a GPT stick with UEFI bootstrap? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• hellobilly
    JackE said:
    Just want to make sure the ubuntu iso was on a GPT stick with UEFI bootstrap? Jack E/NJ
    Yeah.
  • JackE
    >>>I feel like it's booting too fast, any ideas? >>>

Turn it off. Press and hold the F12 key. Turn it on while holding F12. If you still get the same screen, grub seems to now be default but can't handle the input. Did you try each USB port for the mouse dongle? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ