Bios update on Linux Aspire A517-51G

GSTPrecision
GSTPrecision Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hey, I had an accident and spilled liquid on my laptop. I dried everything and restarted it. I was getting a 0xc0000098 error and asking for repair. I tried a million things and even took the laptop to a repair shop, I am unable to repair or clean install windows 10 64 bit. I was successful in installing Win 10 32 bit.

I tried updating the Bios as I believed there might be some issues with it preventing the install of 64 bit (UEFI) but in Win 10 32 bit I get a "Unable to mount EFI partition" error when trying to do the bios flash.

I now installed Linux Mint 19 without any issues. I tried running Win 10 from an external HDD but I still get the same message 0cx0000098 error on boot. I did the Win Install from my desktop.

Is there any way I could flash the bios in Linux environment? Or any other option?

I hope this is all clear.

Thanks

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    first things first - as you're in linux, install software called woeusb , download a MS windows 10 .iso, then make a bootable usb stick using that image with woeusb then give it a go and see if/where it fails on the install (unless you know specifically the bios is the issue, updating it ain't going to help).  
    here's an ubuntu guide for woeusb (mint is based on ubuntu so same process/repo's):
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/create-bootable-windows-10-usb-ubuntu

and here's the link to MS's page for the 10 .iso (64bit)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

once you've made the stick, boot from it (F12 option needs to be enabled in the bios then when booting, tap away on F12 to give the option to boot from your usb stick thats already plugged in)
  • GSTPrecision
    I did try to install a virtual machine in Virtualbox and was getting the same error code.

I loaded a bootable copy of Win 10 on an external hard drive. I got the same codes again it won’t even boot. 

It seems like the UEFI does not like Windows 10. Says cannot find the boot file.
  • Gawain
    edited February 2019
    did you use the same .iso for both? You see, VBox won't touch .efi listed files for safe boot in the bios.  And when you say you loaded a bootable copy on an external hdd, do you mean you made the external hdd bootable using the .iso, or the hdd had a full version of 10 already installed on it (using something like wintousb)?  If it was the same .iso, and as it's happening in VB too, first step would be to download a new .iso as that one sounds uncannily like it didn't download properly.
  • GSTPrecision
    I just tested my USB external HDD on my work computer and had no issues loading it. I will try again tonight but I am very certain I will get the same error codes, 0xc0000098 or 0xc0000221.
  • Gawain
    edited February 2019
    Well, I suggested something that might help, downloading  a new .iso and using a usb stick to make bootable media using woeusb within mint.  It's up to you if you wanted to try that or not, so good luck solving your problem.  
  • GSTPrecision
    Thanks Gawain. Unfortunately for some reason my computer does not want to boot any Windows system. I have 3 different version of windows (1 original OEM usb Win 10, 1 iso windows 10 and 1 iso Windows 8 from the creation media) I did a bootable hdd with Windows 10 that works on any other computer but when I try loading it on my laptop, UEFI or Legacy I get a message that my computer require repair. 0xc0000221 error code.

i believe I have exhausted all my rescources at that point, I was hoping maybe there would be Linux BIOS flash. I guess I will run linux mint exclusively on that computer.

thanks for the help
    GST