Need to replace a swollen battery so I need to know how to find in Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271

Sunyata
Sunyata Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2022 in Switch Series
I think the full model number is "Acer Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271". I've had it for 2 years now and it's been great, except now the screen is literally bulging out of the case on the left side. You can see in the picture that there's quite a bit of space there, I'm extremely worried!
I'm assuming the problem is a swollen battery, so I need to know how to find a replacement. Acer support is completely useless, and will only transfer me to some third-party Indian call center I can't even understand, so I don't know what to do. I'm really worried the battery will explode and destroy the entire thing, I'm on disability and cannot afford to replace it!
[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019
    Hello,
    If you own an SA5-271, here are the part numbers of the original batteries:
    KT.00204.003 | BATTERY.POLY.4870MAH.MAIN
    KT.00204.005 | BATTERY.POLY.4870MAH.MAIN
    You'll find a reseller by googling with the part numbers.
    France
  • Sunyata
    Sunyata Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you! Is there a difference between the two models you posted? I thought there were two variations of this device, the 271 and the 271P. I have the 271, so would it matter which battery model I got?
  • No differences between the two models of battery . The part numbers stated in my previous message are for SA5-271.
    France
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    The P model just had Windows Professional installed instead of Windows Home.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Peter604
    Peter604 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have the  SA5-271P, great little guy but just this week, the unit expanded in front of eyes.  The side started to swell and pushed out the front panel.  To the point the glass cracked.  I would have the battery replaced but with the front glass cracked.  Will Acer pay for the glass crack as it was caused by the battery expansion?

• billsey
    Dang, that's a shame. You can contact Acer, but if it's out of warranty I wouldn't hold out too much hope.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi Peter604,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your SA5-271P.  Can you please send me a private message with the S/N of your unit so I can better assist you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• arunj79
    arunj79 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here with the same model, this is serious manufacturing defect that is happening on other acer laptops too, my laptop is out of warranty but its shameful quality by Acer.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi arunj79,

I am sorry to hear this, Can you please send me a private message with the S/N of your unit?

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • jephtezeus
    jephtezeus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Any update on how the issue was resolved?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi jephtezeus,

I am sorry, are you experiencing the same issue with an Acer unit?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • kjljslsdfgstupid
    kjljslsdfgstupid Member Posts: 1 New User
    This happened to my unit too. @Acer-Manny, what info do you need to address this issue? Granted battery is a consumable, but I can't risk it blowing up in my face everytime I open my laptop. 
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    This happened to my unit too. @Acer-Manny, what info do you need to address this issue? Granted battery is a consumable, but I can't risk it blowing up in my face everytime I open my laptop. 
    I have sent you a private message requesting additional information to better assist you.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • zhuding
    zhuding Member Posts: 2 New User
    My Acer Switch Switch Alpha 12 started swollen a few days ago. I bought it from CostCo in US. Very worried whether it would explode. Any solution to solve it?
  • billsey
    When did you buy it from Costco and did you use their card to make the purchase? Costco provides and extra year of warranty and the card issuer does the same, so you get three years instead of the normal one year. If you are still in warranty then contact support and they'll fix you up. If out of warranty try first to contact @Acer-Manny via a PM before purchasing a replacement battery. I replaced mine (also bought at Costco) a couple of years ago.
  • zhuding
    zhuding Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks, Billsey, for the helpful information. I bought mine just three years ago thus it is out of 3 years of warranty. Sent a message to @Acer-Manny but haven't gotten reply yet. Could Acer-Manny help, please?
  • billsey
    He should get to you soon, they are really swamped with the changes they've had to do for COVID-19. Everything is less efficient when you are working from home and don't have the direct access to your normal paperwork.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    zhuding said:
    My Acer Switch Switch Alpha 12 started swollen a few days ago. I bought it from CostCo in US. Very worried whether it would explode. Any solution to solve it?
    Very sorry to hear this, i have replied to your PM requesting more information to better assist you.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • jmclaughlin27
    jmclaughlin27 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same issue. Can you hep me, too, @Acer-Manny?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Same issue. Can you hep me, too, @Acer-Manny?
    Yes jmclaughlin27, please send me the serial number and image with contact info via private message for follow up.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny