Acer Aspire e15

kickabuck
kickabuck Member Posts: 8 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am attempting to install win8.1 ISO on Virtualbox.  When i get to "Windows Setup" it will not allow the host product key that I retrieved with Belarc tool to install. Thanks.

Best Answers

• kickabuck
    Answer ✓
    Thanks JackE. Your right. I had already tried that acer product key earlier and it nor the host product key works. Sometime, somewhere, during this whole virtual machine install I was told on the net maybe, that a 32 bit virtual machine could be installed on a host with the host 64 OS. Guess I'll just have to find another option. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    kickabuck Yes, a 32-bit Win8.1 guest machine can run on a 64-bit Win8.1 host machine. But only one license can work for one machine at the same time. You're trying to run two machines, a 32-bit Win8.1 guest and a 64-bit Win8.1 host, at the same time under one license. A no-no. You must purchase a license for the 32-bit guest machine. Just like I paid for my paid for both my 32-bit Win98SE and WinXP guests a while ago on my 64-bit host machine ---- 3 separate machines, 3 separate licenses. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon kickabuck !

Are you trying to install via VB a version of Windows already installed on your machine?
    Do you have the official activation key?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• JackE
    Regarding your earlier thread, if your Win8.1 host is an ACER factory installation, it is an OEM license for that particular machine's serial number id (SNID) NOT  a generic Microsoft license for a guest machine. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• kickabuck
    I downloaded an ISO (image) copy of win 8.1 32 bit from Microsoft. I am attempting to install a VirtualBox virtual machine on a Acer E510 laptop which has win8.1 64 bit. I used Belarc product key retrieval to obtain the original product key from the Acer host OS. During the windows set up portion of VirtualBox install it does not accept the product key retrieved. If there is a different product key for Acer, how do I go about getting it. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    Open the command prompt. Enter 'wmic os get serialnumber' . The result is the product key if the machine originally came from ACER with Win8.1 installed. It will most likely be an ACER-flavored OEM Win8.1 key, NOT a Microsoft generic Win8.1 key. In other words,the ACER OEM product key will NOT work for installing a Microsoft generic guest Win8.1. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kickabuck
    Answer ✓
    Thanks JackE. Your right. I had already tried that acer product key earlier and it nor the host product key works. Sometime, somewhere, during this whole virtual machine install I was told on the net maybe, that a 32 bit virtual machine could be installed on a host with the host 64 OS. Guess I'll just have to find another option. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • JackE
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    kickabuck Yes, a 32-bit Win8.1 guest machine can run on a 64-bit Win8.1 host machine. But only one license can work for one machine at the same time. You're trying to run two machines, a 32-bit Win8.1 guest and a 64-bit Win8.1 host, at the same time under one license. A no-no. You must purchase a license for the 32-bit guest machine. Just like I paid for my paid for both my 32-bit Win98SE and WinXP guests a while ago on my 64-bit host machine ---- 3 separate machines, 3 separate licenses. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ