Review of the Helios 500

Comments

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    mankvl said:
    I still have problems with PSAdminAgent tried the fix, using the latest Killer drivers, tried to uninstall Killer Center install the latest one or the beta the problem still persist. Any one have such problem? 

Your PsAdmin still has the memory build up even with the killer network service tweak done?
    That makes no sense cause that's what causes it.

Can you share a pic of your killer network service properties tweaked?
    - Hotel Hero
  • mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Red-Sand said:
    mankvl said:
    I still have problems with PSAdminAgent tried the fix, using the latest Killer drivers, tried to uninstall Killer Center install the latest one or the beta the problem still persist. Any one have such problem? 

Your PsAdmin still has the memory build up even with the killer network service tweak done?

startup set to automatic. 
  • Red-Sand
    mankvl said:
    Red-Sand said:
    mankvl said:

What Windows version is that?
    - Hotel Hero
  • mankvl
    Red-Sand said:
    mankvl said:
    Red-Sand said:
    mankvl said:

What Windows version is that?
    Winver is 1809... tried to use killer driver uninstaller, then installed the driver only version but it's missing the killer network service and the bug persist. Then did killer uninstaller, removed drivers from device manager and deleted all temp files installed the killer driver suit, but I don't use killer network center, maybe that is the problem will try installing it right now. 
  • Bassforte
    Bassforte Member Posts: 10 New User
    I've been having a problem where the audio quality of the default microphone input sounds distorted and terrible.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've tried reinstalling the audio drivers and using different ones but they haven't seemed to help.  I'm wondering if it might be a hardware issue.
  • Bassforte
    edited February 2019
    Bassforte said:
    I've been having a problem where the audio quality of the default microphone input sounds distorted and terrible.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've tried reinstalling the audio drivers and using different ones but they haven't seemed to help.  I'm wondering if it might be a hardware issue.
    In particular, has anyone tried to plug the audio from a music playing device into that microphone jack and gotten clear sound out of it? I wonder if it might be only set to do voice with some clarity but music is too complex, or if it's just hardware and I should try for a replacement.
  • Red-Sand
    Bassforte said:
    Bassforte said:
    In particular, has anyone tried to plug the audio from a music playing device into that microphone jack and gotten clear sound out of it? I wonder if it might be only set to do voice with some clarity but music is too complex, or if it's just hardware and I should try for a replacement.
    AUX and MIC are two different things
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Bassforte said:
    Bassforte said:

Just to clarify.
    You're having your PSAdmin fill up your RAM usage slowly over time?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Bassforte
    Red-Sand said:
    Bassforte said:
    Bassforte said:

Just to clarify.
    No thing like that, just it was suggested in the sound options that the Microphone Array would be able to accept the input from an MP3 player but it looks like that was a generic prompt and likely outside the bounds of what this jack is meant to handle.

So to change gears into something a bit more direct, is there a recommended way to pass in the audio from a device like a Smart Phone or MP3 Player into this laptop so that the audio of both will come into the laptop's headphones?  On my last computer I could use the line-in port to achieve this but that doesn't seem to be an option here.
  • mankvl
    Red-Sand said:
    Bassforte said:
    Bassforte said:

Just to clarify.
    Yes that's correct it usually takes over night to get to 1gb ram. 
  • mankvl
    @Red-Sand can you specify what version of killer drivers are you using? Also what version of killer center? I might try installing the one from the acer support page, because nothing is slowing my problem :(
  • andriisev
    andriisev Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    Currently I score 17XXX on Firestrike and about 12XX on cinebench due to...

Hi Red-Sand. Regarding the fire strike, is this the general score or Graphics score? 

• Bassforte
    Bassforte said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Bassforte said:
    Bassforte said:

Just to clarify.
    No thing like that, just it was suggested in the sound options that the Microphone Array would be able to accept the input from an MP3 player but it looks like that was a generic prompt and likely outside the bounds of what this jack is meant to handle.

So to change gears into something a bit more direct, is there a recommended way to pass in the audio from a device like a Smart Phone or MP3 Player into this laptop so that the audio of both will come into the laptop's headphones?  On my last computer I could use the line-in port to achieve this but that doesn't seem to be an option here.
    Alright I've finally managed to get this one working but I can't for the life of me explain how.  In short, I've been tinkering around with different audio drivers but just now found that I can line-in audio to the microphone port and have completely normal audio quality. This is probably the 4th re installation of the original realtek drivers so I have no idea why they're working now when they were distorted the previous 3 tries but as long as it works!
  • Red-Sand
    andriisev said:
    Red-Sand said:

Hi Red-Sand. Regarding the fire strike, is this the general score or Graphics score? 

It is the overall score. Currently the #2 ranking spot for i7-8750H and 1070 on 3dmarks scoreboards is a Helios 500 @ about 17400
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    andriisev said:
    Red-Sand said:

Id like to add that I'm now hitting 16k (Little less than yours) on Firestrike after the latest Windows update.. so there's a performance drop to be noted.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Bassforte said:
    Bassforte said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Bassforte said:
    Bassforte said:

Just to clarify.

Alright I've finally managed to get this one working but I can't for the life of me explain how.  In short, I've been tinkering around with different audio drivers but just now found that I can line-in audio to the microphone port and have completely normal audio quality. This is probably the 4th re installation of the original realtek drivers so I have no idea why they're working now when they were distorted the previous 3 tries but as long as it works!
    It's most likely that you need to select in the "Recording" tab of Sound Options to be the input of the MP3 player while leaving the output to the Realtek for headphones.

Question.. why are you trying to passthrough mp3 player to headphones? to listen to music while you game?
    - Hotel Hero
  • andriisev
    andriisev Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    Id like to add that I'm now hitting 16k (Little less than yours) on Firestrike after the latest Windows update.. so there's a performance drop to be noted.
    What graphisc score are you getting?
    This result is not mine but of some guy I found online). This is a result of GL704GW with some basic repaste with Gelid GC Extreme. I am about to buy a laptop but not just yet, and the thing Im wondering is these results! It really looks that systems with rtx2070 that are available on market right now are just not worth it, they score almost exactly the same as helios 500 gtx1070, and helios is much quieter too.

I really don't get why wouldnt acer squeeze 1080 into helios chassis, let alone newer generation rtx models.
  • Red-Sand
    edited February 2019
    andriisev said:
    Red-Sand said:
    What graphisc score are you getting?
    This result is not mine but of some guy I found online). This is a result of GL704GW with some basic repaste with Gelid GC Extreme. I am about to buy a laptop but not just yet, and the thing Im wondering is these results! It really looks that systems with rtx2070 that are available on market right now are just not worth it, they score almost exactly the same as helios 500 gtx1070, and helios is much quieter too.

I really don't get why wouldnt acer squeeze 1080 into helios chassis, let alone newer generation rtx models.

Oh ok my bad lol here is a link to one of my scores.
    Im in the process of reinstalling Windows and my phone broke so I went MIA for a bit lol sorry.
    Looks like graphics hit 19395 for this one

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17982040
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    And its the new gen chips bro.. the Helios 500 outperforms the Predator 17x with the 1080 due to having last gen chips.
    Everyone is in a rush for the RTX cards at gen 1 and personally I think its dumb xD
    - Hotel Hero
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Red-Sand said:
    And its the new gen chips bro.. the Helios 500 outperforms the Predator 17x with the 1080 due to having last gen chips.
    Everyone is in a rush for the RTX cards at gen 1 and personally I think its dumb xD
    100% agree  it will be a complete waste of money

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

This discussion has been closed.