My ACER NITRO 5 AN515-51 is having major performance drops while gaming. How can i fix this?

wHISPER
wHISPER Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Its only been an year since i bought the ACER NITRO 5 AN515-51, and at the beginning it was running really well. But recently while gaming it is facing major performance issues.
 - The fps while playing cs-go is usually 100 -120, but now it drops to 30 - 60
  - Most games run smoothly for the first 5 minutes, then suddenly their fps drops to around 40
Please Help.
Thank you

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Download HWiNFO and report the average and max temps of your CPU and GPU while gaming.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• wHISPER
    ven98 said:
    Download HWiNFO and report the average and max temps of your CPU and GPU while gaming.
    Before GAMING
    GPU------- 73C - 76C (BEFORE GAMING)

CPU CORE 0 75C - 82C (BEFORE GAMING)
    CPU CORE 1 75C - 81C (BEFORE GAMING)
    CPU CORE 2 76C - 82C (BEFORE GAMING)
    CPU CORE 3 74C - 81C (BEFORE GAMING)

WHILE GAMING
    GPU--------73C - 94C (WHILE GAMING)

CPU CORE 0 75C - 96C (wHILE GAMING)
    CPU CORE 1 75C - 97C (wHILE GAMING)
    CPU CORE 2 76C - 97C (wHILE GAMING)
    CPU CORE 3 74C - 97C (wHILE GAMING)
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I assume the average temperature is the left and the max is the right.

The GPU's temperature is too high and because of that it thermal throttles. The only way to fix that is to open the laptop and repaste the CPU and GPU with a high quality thermal paste like MX-4 or thermal grizzly kryonaut. Your other option is to contact Acer is the device is under warranty.

The CPU temperature is also high and undervolting with throttlestop will help reducing it.

The CPU and GPU and under the same heatsink, so once you remove it you have to repaste both.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• wHISPER
    ven98 said:
    I assume the average temperature is the left and the max is the right.

The GPU's temperature is too high and because of that it thermal throttles. The only way to fix that is to open the laptop and repaste the CPU and GPU with a high quality thermal paste like MX-4 or thermal grizzly kryonaut. Your other option is to contact Acer is the device is under warranty.

The CPU temperature is also high and undervolting with throttlestop will help reducing it.

The CPU and GPU and under the same heatsink, so once you remove it you have to repaste both.

thanks man
  • RipeNitro
    RipeNitro Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    did repaste work?