Touchpad Scrolling Vanished(Aspire R5-471T.)

Robthewriter
Robthewriter Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I hope someone can help!

Either through the last windows update or through updating my drivers using Driver Booster, I can no longer 2,3,4 finger touchpad scroll. I'm fairly sure I used to have a precision touchpad in the settings but on that page now it's simply blank underneath 'Touchpad Sensitivity' where before there were many further options.

I have an Aspire R5-471T. I presume I simply need the correct driver for the precision touchpad that has vanished, is that correct? If so where could I find it?

I have ensured my updates are up to date and checked for upgrades in device manager but to no avail. I'd really like the scrolling back so please advise if you have any idea how I can do it!

Many thanks

Rob

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Shut the machine off. Then turn it back on again and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Under the BIOS main tab, click on the touchpad settings. Set it from basic to advance mode. Then F10 to save settings and exit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack, I really appreciate your reply! Unfortunately it's already set as advanced. In some notes to the side it states that it needs an I2C driver to function in advanced state. Is that what I need to get? The touchpad does work, it just doesn't scroll.

Cheers

Rob
  • JackE
    Do you still have the factory BIOS version? What version? Keep it for now. Don't try to upgrade it. Change the BIOS touchpad mode from advanced to basic to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

I'm not sure if it's the factory version - it's v1.06. Went from Advanced to Basic - no change at all in scrolling or settings available so changed back. Anything else worth doing that you know of?
  • JackE
    OK. Good. Looks like v1.06 is the original BIOS version. Now press the WINkey+Rkey. Enter 'msinfo32.exe'. In the left pane, click on the 'components' folder. Then the 'input' subfolder. Then the 'pointing device'. In the right pane, what is the hardware type, Synaptics or Elantech? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

Thanks - it's 'HID-compliant mouse'
  • Robthewriter

Tinkerer

Excuse the dozy response above - there are 3 hardware types under pointing device. USB Input device and PS/2 compliant mouse are the others. No mention of synaptics or elantech anywhere there.
  • JackE
    Click on each one of them. On the right side of the msinfo32.exe screen, will show the type of hardware. Either synaptics or elan. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

Unfortunately not...

• JackE
    OK. Press WINkey+Rkey again. Enter ' main.cpl'. How many mice under the hardware tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

3; 2 x HID and 1 x PS/2
  • JackE
    >>>3 hardware types under pointing device. USB Input device and PS/2 compliant mouse >>>

In Device Manager, do you see one touchpad in the HID folder? And is it enabled? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

I have 3, the same again. How do I see if they are enabled?

• JackE
    Sorry. I meant the HID folder not the  Mice folder. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

No not at all, completely my bad - you did say that! Here's what I have:

• JackE
    OK. I think you may be almost there. From what I can see, the Win10update has apparently forced your system to use only Microsoft drivers instead of Synaptics. So the fix may be to force it back to the way it was following the advice given by this user in this https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/379779/touchpad-gesture-solution-e5-573g-user   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Robthewriter

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack that's really useful. I actually got to this point in my own research but the Synaptics page that is linked to in point 1 to download the driver now no longer does that as far as I can tell? On a google search I found some places purporting to provide the driver but upon downloading I wasn't sure of the veracity of the site or the download (or even if I had the correct driver). Is there a site you could recommend for downloading synaptics drivers? Thanks
  • Robthewriter

Tinkerer

Cheers Jack - alas there is no change after i downloaded the above. My experience was not the same as the solution, as follows: (my comments in bold italic)

4) Go to Control Panel, Device Manager, find your mouse. It should be a PS/2 device now. Same as before, 2 options for HID & 1 PS/2 Click on it, go to update driver, browse for driver, select from a manual location, navigate to the location of your Synaptics download folder that you unzipped, all that was fine then go in to the WinWDF folder, then x64 folder, and there is your Synaptics driver inf file no possibility to go into any WinWDF or x64 folders unless i'm misunderstanding? The only folder option was the synaptics zipped folder that did not open any further as the process required a folder and within it there are no more folders. Go ahead and install. It may prompt you and say that it's unsure this is for your specific device, it is. Did not happen.

I feel like I'm maybe missing something fundamental here... what do you think?
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    Open Device Manager again. Open the mice folder with the 3 mice. When you pull the mouse usb dongle, which one disappears? Plug it back in. Then open the HID folder. Pull the mouse usb dongle. Anything happen in the HID folder? He also mentioned something about not using the i2c hid which you seem to have in the  HID folder. Not sure what to do about that. Also not sure why it seems to have one too many mouse entries under mice folder. Jack E/NJ

PS: Did you unzip the downloaded file?
    PPS: I just unzipped it. I can see the inf file you're looking for in the unzipped folder.
    PPPS: The unzipped folder has the same name as the zipfile

Jack E/NJ