Acer Nitro N50-600EB14 - How To Remove Optical Drive Bay and PSU?

david_eeee
david_eeee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, was looking to upgrade the n50-600's GTX 1060 to a 1070ti. 

However, in order to do that, I first need to swap the 500W liteon PSU for a better PSU. I've been able to take out the 4 pin connector for the CPU, the peripheral cables for the hard drive, and the 6 pin connector for the 1060. However, I still need to remove the 24 pin connector on the motherboard in order to take out the 500w PSU and swap it. Unfortunately, the Optical Disk Drive Bay is in the way of the 24pin connector. 

Note that I've already taken out the **Optical Disk Drive Reader**, the part that actually reads the disk itself, out of the case by pressing the latch on the back, inside the case. However, the **Optical Disk Drive BAY** is still inside. I can't figure out for the life of me how to take out the bay itself. Is there any help anyone can give me on this? Or is there an n50-600 manual floating around somewhere? The 24 pin connector is so close

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    david_eeee 
    Please check if the below images.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    david_eeee 

• david_eeee

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    david_eeee 

Hi Sharanjii!

These pictures are extremely useful for taking out the drive bay itself, particularly the first 2. However, I now have run into another problem - those 3 screws are unfortunately underneath the black plastic shroud that surrounds the metal chasis of the n50-600. Even if said screws were magically unscrewed somehow, it would still be impossible to physically pull the slim ODD out.

Do you happen to have a guide on being able to remove the front part of the plastic shroud as well?
  • david_eeee

Tinkerer

to anyone in the future, please see this thread

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/561248/acer-nitro-50-n50-600eb14-how-to-remove-plastic-front-panel#latest

for information on how to get to the front of the case

good luck!