Helios 500 - Confused With CPU Temperatures

mikeyjames
mikeyjames Member Posts: 52 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,
I've had my Helios 500 for around six months now and it hasn't missed a beat. Thanks to help from @Red-Sand  I was able to get temps down by undervolting the MAX profile in PredatorSense by 0.145v and I now boot with that profile.

I was able to run the Intel XTU CPU stress test for an hour and get peak temps of 75c with CPU rock soild @ 3.9Ghz on all cores. Looking at Windows 10's Performance Monitor I could see all six cores were running at 100% the entire time.

All of my gaming was around the same temps.

Recently I've been using some flight simulator software and just changed from Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) over to Prepare3d version 4 (P3Dv4). I changed because to P3Dv4, a 64bit program because FSX was 32bit and was prone to running out of Virtual Address Space and crashing due to Out Of Memory errors. Both FSX and P3D are very CPU heavy but P3Dv4 is 64bit and seems to do a much better job of utilising all cores on the CPU, plus it does a better job of utilising the GPU. 

Since I've been using P3Dv4 I've noticed CPU temps spiking getting into the high 90's at times. Everything runs fine and if I hadn't been monitoring temps I wouldn't know the difference.

My Question is why the differences in temps between XTU and P3Dv4.

Intel XTU and some other synthetic tools with a 60-minute stress test  - runs all six cores (12 threads) at 100% with temps spiking in the mid 70s (as reported by XTU average temp in mid 60's / average CPU usage 99% / average clock speed 3.88Ghz)

P3Dv4 use forn an hour - all threads in use with temp peaks in mid 90's (XTU reports average temp 82c / av CPU usage 80% / Av clock 3.87Ghz)

All tests were done with system temp, as reported by PredatorSense, at around 40-42c with fans on high. 

Both programs are running all cores/threads at 100%, yet P3Dv4 leads to much higher temps. 

Any ideas why?

Thanks
Mick

Answers

• mikeyjames
    edited February 2019
    Hi Again,
    I couldn't figure out how to edit the post again. Just some additional info.

Even at stock settings, P3Dv4 gets CPU temp spikes into the 90's - only real difference is the average CPU speed drops to 3.5Ghz.

Just wondering, is there a separate cooling system for CPU and GPU? Thinking maybe the same heatsinks could be trying to cool both CPU and GPU which could be causing the CPU cooling to be a little less efficient when compared to CPU only, like with programs that stress the CPU. The only issues with this theory is that P3Dv4 is very CPU heavy, with GPU rarely getting beyond 40% load / 50c.

Cheers
    Mick

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    There are some copper pipes that are shared between the CPU and the GPU, so when the GPU is under load it will affect the CPU's temperatures.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• mikeyjames
    edited February 2019
    Hi @ven98
    Thanks for the reply, makes sense.

Monitored for a few 1 hours sessions with XTU while using the program. There were about 4 very brief spikes into the 90s over three hours, with temps mostly sitting between 75-85 so not going to worry about it.

Must be just the situation with all cores being constantly hammered in combination with the GPU being used as well. I have no other games that come close to utilising the CPU like this.

Thanks
    Mick