X34 PBMIPHZX flickers after starting a game

OddlyVague
OddlyVague Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2019 Archives
About half the time when I start a game, the monitor will go black for a few seconds, return for a second, and go black again for a few seconds. This will continue until I select the monitor menu > Gaming > Apply and Reboot. Once the reboot is complete, everything is fine. This occurs both at the default 100Hz and the overclocked 120Hz. I am using the supplied DP cable and the latest Nvidia driver, 417.35.  This problem presented itself during the first week of use.

Is there a firmware update that will fix this? I do not see one on the support page for the monitor.

I tried to contact support, but all I can find is an RMA request option.  It would cost me $82 to ship this.  I paid $855 for a new monitor and it should function as promised.  Acer failed to meet their obligation. Why should I pay more for it?  Beyond the bad customer service of costing me more money, I have a fear of RMA's in general. It rarely goes well for me. I either get someone else's beat up refurb or the tech does not treat my equipment as if its their own and it comes back to me not in the same condition I sent it.  My fear goes on.. dead pixel and I am told its in their acceptable limit, etc.

PS I have not written my Newegg review yet. hint hint. As it stands now it would cost me an additional $82 for an RMA, I'm thinking 2 stars and my title would read, "Awesome, but I do not recommend it". I thought it would be fair to Acer to see how the company corrects this issue before I submit my opinion. I am hoping you will treat me fairly Acer.
Case Number : 5386762U

Best Answer

• theaminator19
    theaminator19 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Try a new Displayport cable, I had a similar issue and it was being caused by G-Sync and the included DP cable. Basically the computer was telling the monitor that g-sync wasn't enabled when I was just doing desktop based things, then anytime I loaded something fullscreen (including youtube videos) it would flicker once or twice and sort itself out and realise I have g-sync enabled. Now with my 3rd party gold plated displayport 1.4 cable, the monitor is constantly in G-sync mode and I don't get the flicker anymore. 

If you want to test this is your issue, put the monitor LED into MNT Status in the colour option, should be white with no G-sync and Red with G-sync, that's how I discovered my issue, and in nvidia control panel in your G-Sync settings, make sure it's set to work in both windowed and fullscreen modes

Answers

• theaminator19
    theaminator19 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Try a new Displayport cable, I had a similar issue and it was being caused by G-Sync and the included DP cable. Basically the computer was telling the monitor that g-sync wasn't enabled when I was just doing desktop based things, then anytime I loaded something fullscreen (including youtube videos) it would flicker once or twice and sort itself out and realise I have g-sync enabled. Now with my 3rd party gold plated displayport 1.4 cable, the monitor is constantly in G-sync mode and I don't get the flicker anymore. 

If you want to test this is your issue, put the monitor LED into MNT Status in the colour option, should be white with no G-sync and Red with G-sync, that's how I discovered my issue, and in nvidia control panel in your G-Sync settings, make sure it's set to work in both windowed and fullscreen modes
  • OddlyVague

Tinkerer

Thank you.  I will try that.
  • OddlyVague

Tinkerer

theanimator19, I changed the LED to MNT status and I am experiencing what you described.  I don't think I would have connected those dots.  I made an assumption that they would have put in a premium cable to ensure their expensive product came off looking good.

What DisplayPort cable did you get? I purchased "Nixeus VESA Certified DisplayPort™ 1.4 HBR3 Cable (6 ft) - Supports HDR Gaming Monitors, FreeSync™, G-Sync™, 4K 144Hz and up to 240Hz Ultra High Refresh Rate" from Newegg.  I haven't experienced the g-sync issue yet, but on two occasions I the screen went blank for half a second due to lost signal.  When the monitor came back, the monitor showed the DisplayPort source overlay.  I wouldn't have thought this would be so difficult.  Weird stuff.
  • some_guy123
    some_guy123 Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited February 2019
    I went through the Displayport cable woes for a while, thought it was my graphics card, then I thought the monitor was overheating etc etc. That was on a 60hz Ultrawide. I'm on my 4th cable before the problem went away.

You guys are owners of the X34P and I'm in the market for a high refresh rate Gsync Monitor. Displayspecifications.com "says" that this monitor has Picture by Picture mode but I can't see it in the OSD manual anywhere. Can one of you confirm whether or not this monitor supports Picture By Picture ( 2 PCs at the same time. One displayed on the left half and the other on the right half ).  I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

My LG 34UC97 3440x1440 60hz monitor has this feature and I won't budge from this monitor without that feature. But if I find a good gaming variant of 3440x1440p with Split Screen I'll move.
  • OddlyVague

Tinkerer

I went through the Displayport cable woes for a while, thought it was my graphics card, then I thought the monitor was overheating etc etc. That was on a 60hz Ultrawide. I'm on my 4th cable before the problem went away.

You guys are owners of the X34P and I'm in the market for a high refresh rate Gsync Monitor. Displayspecifications.com "says" that this monitor has Picture by Picture mode but I can't see it in the OSD manual anywhere. Can one of you confirm whether or not this monitor supports Picture By Picture ( 2 PCs at the same time. One displayed on the left half and the other on the right half ).  I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

My LG 34UC97 3440x1440 60hz monitor has this feature and I won't budge from this monitor without that feature. But if I find a good gaming variant of 3440x1440p with Split Screen I'll move.
    I'm not aware of a Picture by Picture feature.
  • AllGamer
    AllGamer Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited April 2019

Thanks! this helped greatly troubleshooting the video problem.

and indeed I found both issues, crappy DP cable and the ***** Nvidia drivers kept trying to switch it to G-sync mode, which causes the annoying video flicking because the cable was not good enough for G-sync.