Predator Helios 500 poor microphone audio quality

Bassforte
Bassforte Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I've just gotten the Predator Helios 500 and it's been running great so far, but the main issue I've encountered is it seems the default microphone array isn't working very well.  The sound that the build in microphone records sounds distorted and underwater with the volume dipping up and down like it's straining to hold together.  Ideally, I'd like to use the microphone port to pass in audio from my phone so that I can listen to music from my phone into my laptop's headphones but the same distortion comes in that way as well, so it's not just the microphone itself.  Is there anything further I should do to troubleshoot?

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>MP3 Player into the microphone jack>>>
    Sorry, this won't work well since the player's plug output impedance must match the jack's input impedance. The jack is for microphone input, not MP3 player input. The output impedance of an MP3 player is a lot lower than that of a high impedance electret microphone. You may be able to get an audio balun to better match the impedance.

>>>I then tried using the internal microphone>>> I hear the same sort of distortions >>>
    I'm not sure how you did this? Did try to play music from another speaker into the internal mic? I seriously doubt the fidelity would be much doing it this way.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bassforte
    Answer ✓
    Quick update.  It seems like it actually does work with line-in but for some reason it just wasn't taking with the Realtek audio drivers.  I've been trying some older drivers I knew worked in the past for the last few days and none of them worked, but today reinstalling the original drivers on the laptop let clean audio come in without issue.  This is probably the 4th time I've had the original drivers reinstalled so I have no idea why it's only working now, but everything works like I wanted!

Answers

• JackE
    Right click on the speaker icon in the tray. Click recording devices. Click mic. Choose properties. Choose levels tab. Increase boost slider. Then  select advanced tab, choose CD quality. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bassforte
    JackE said:
    Right click on the speaker icon in the tray. Click recording devices. Click mic. Choose properties. Choose levels tab. Increase boost slider. Then  select advanced tab, choose CD quality. Jack E/NJ
    Gave it a shot but no luck there. 
  • JackE
    Instead of the advanced button, try the configure mic button for your voice to see if that'll straighten it out. If not, you might want to try uninstalling the driver from Device Manager. Exit without re-installing. The re-boot and let Windows to auto re-detect and re-install the audio driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bassforte
    I tried reinstalling the Audio drivers but no luck there.  I can try configuring the mic button to see if that helps.
    I'm wondering though, has anyone been able to pass say a music player's audio into the microphone jack and gotten clear audio to play?  I'm wondering if I might be barking up the wrong tree and chasing a function that might be outside what this jack is meant for.
  • JackE
    >>>default microphone array isn't working very well>>>
    >>>might be outside what this jack is meant for.>>>

Wait! I thought you were referring to the internal mic, not an external mic? What are you trying to use? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bassforte
    Oh! Sorry it's a bit of both!
    So the final goal is to be able to plug in an MP3 Player into the microphone jack so that it's music and this laptop's audio both go to my headphones on the laptop.  When I do that, the player audio comes in but it's pretty garbled.
    I then tried using the internal microphone to troubleshoot and I hear the same sort of distortions which leads me to think it's either software or maybe an issue with the sound card itself, rather than the microphone but I've been pursuing possible solutions there since it sounded like a better place to start.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>MP3 Player into the microphone jack>>>
    Sorry, this won't work well since the player's plug output impedance must match the jack's input impedance. The jack is for microphone input, not MP3 player input. The output impedance of an MP3 player is a lot lower than that of a high impedance electret microphone. You may be able to get an audio balun to better match the impedance.

>>>I then tried using the internal microphone>>> I hear the same sort of distortions >>>
    I'm not sure how you did this? Did try to play music from another speaker into the internal mic? I seriously doubt the fidelity would be much doing it this way.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bassforte
    That's correct, I played a speaker with music into the internal microphone to test the quality.
    But thank you! Your input has helped a lot and it sounds like I'm just using this port outside what it was meant to handle.
  • Bassforte
    Answer ✓
    Quick update.  It seems like it actually does work with line-in but for some reason it just wasn't taking with the Realtek audio drivers.  I've been trying some older drivers I knew worked in the past for the last few days and none of them worked, but today reinstalling the original drivers on the laptop let clean audio come in without issue.  This is probably the 4th time I've had the original drivers reinstalled so I have no idea why it's only working now, but everything works like I wanted!

• JackE
    Bassforte>>>so I have no idea why it's only working now, but everything works like I wanted!>>>

Magic?  =)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ