Acer Aspire M5 Backlit keyboard default setting

2»

Answers

• bupbebexinh
    bupbebexinh Member Posts: 1 New User

So do I. I wana to make the keyboard off by default.

• BLJ
    BLJ Member Posts: 1 New User

I want the keyboard backlight off permanently. Can this be achieved? BLJ

• NLASSATER
    NLASSATER Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a Aspire E15 I was wondering if there was a way to keep my backlit keyboard on and not have it time out on me as fast or to be able to turn it on and keep it on or turn it off and keep it off?
  • JeffCarroll58
    JeffCarroll58 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Aspire R14

This inability to set when the keyboard lighting defaults is frustrating.  Also setting the timeout period would be nice.  Its hard to set hit the keys in the dark.  Seems like it turns off after 15 seconds.

This is my second and last Acer.  The first Acer worked correctly.  Seems like they are cutting corners.  
  • Chorister
    Chorister Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi laptop wiz. I got new one and it's Acer aspire 3. I'm  wondering if this model has keyboard backlight and if so, how can I turn it on because I have poor eyes. Thanks
  • Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Chorister said:
    Hi laptop wiz. I got new one and it's Acer aspire 3. I'm  wondering if this model has keyboard backlight and if so, how can I turn it on because I have poor eyes. Thanks
    Try FN + F9 and check if the backlight is turning on. 
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• drew111333
    drew111333 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Type your commen So is there a ambient light sensor on the acer 5 aspire, because I cant get the back lit key board to comme on.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    @drew111333 you should start a new thread with your question. This one is several years old and deals with a different model than you have. Please include the full model number in your question so we can get you the best answer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AceUser81
    AceUser81 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2023

So … for anyone that finds this. I went ahead and suffered through the acer support process. After a few hours, they finally confirmed that Acer does not provide any option to disable the backlight. There is an option to change the timeout and a key to temporarily turn it off, but there is no option available to actually change the default behavior.

@billsey What's the point of starting a new thread when we're all experiencing the exact same issue? We're finding our way to /this/ thread because /this/ thread has our issue … and the (lack of) response from Acer. Even better … instead of 50+ no-answer/me-too posts cross-linking to each other, we can easily see this is a general problem that has been affecting many models for nearly a decade.

… can you imagine a smart home that turns the lights on every time you walk into a room and doesn't provide any option to disable it?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

In most cases, users don't bother looking at a thread that's years old, so aren't available to answer your question. You get much better visibility into the forum with a new thread, even if it's for an older topic. If you are posting to an old thread the assumption is that you have gone through the thread to try the offered solutions and none worked, so you really want to have new eyes on the issue.

In this case you are essentially asking for a different design, since the laptops are working as designed by the Acer engineers. You will be more likely to see changes in future designs to better match your expectations by sending a request to Acer instead of posting here to other Acer users. Acer doesn't monitor this forum other than what the moderators do, and they are mostly concerned with community guidelines, so removing spam and such. You can use the feedback on Acer's support sites to send suggestions directly to Acer. With enough people asking for the same feature they might actually implement it on future products.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.