How do I make the left and right click on my touch pad both a left click

EthanSandum
EthanSandum Member Posts: 8 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi I have an acer Aspire V5 and I would like to make the touchpad right click a left click too. Is there any way I can do this because I would like to just press down on the touch pad with two fingers to right click. I also noticed if you press down on the left click section with two fingers it doesn't right click. Is there maybe a different driver I can get for it; I have a synaptic pointing device driver? Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What is your V5's full model number? V5-xxx or V5-xxxG? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EthanSandum
    V5-571P-6866
  • JackE
    Try this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EthanSandum
    My two-finger tap action is already at value 2. if you could tell me what values mean what I could probably figure it out for myself unless you have more help. thanks 
  • EthanSandum
    So just to confirm, I want to make it so on the left button you can use two fingers and press down in order to right click. I also want to make it so in the right button if you use one finger and press down that it will left click. buy buttons I mean the portion at the bottom of the touchpad that you use for left and right clicking normally. It's really hard to explain what I mean
  • JackE
    I think I know what you mean. Let's try this. Press the WINkey+Rkey. Enter 'main.cpl'. Click on the Buttons tab. Checkmark 'switch 1* & 2* buttons for the touchpad. See what happens. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• EthanSandum
    This is what I have can you send a screenshot of what I'm supposed to do
  • JackE
    What I meant was to switch from right to left handed operation to see if that will allow one finger touch to give you a left click, and a 2 finger touch a right click, no matter where your fingers touch the board. If that doesn't work, then checkmark click lock and change time intervals to see if that'll make a difference. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EthanSandum
    That didn't work
  • JackE
    Check your BIOS Main tab for a touchpad advanced options menu. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EthanSandum
    the main tab doesn't have all of the touchpad stuff but I think if we go back registry editor we could find some edits that can work. 
  • JackE
    Export regedit to a text file before making any registry changes as you could disable the system.  Registry items and values aren't well documented and most fixes found on line are stumbled upon and not necessarily applicable to your particular hardware. It might be safer to experiment with different synaptics drivers. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• EthanSandum
    So I figured it out. you go into the windows 10 settings and navigate to devices then touch pad settings. There you then go to the additional settings link and it will take you to mouse properties. Then you will want to go to settings on the far right and click on the settings button. This will take you to properties where you will want to go to the clicking checkbox and hit the settings icon on the right side of the clicking checkbox. where it now says corner click you can click on and scroll up to make it a primary click. This will adjust your settings to a Chromebook styled touch pad. The only way to right click will be with two fingers. Thank you guys for helping me find this!
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back on your success. Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ