XZ321Q or XZ321QU

heart_of_the_tiger
heart_of_the_tiger Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
Hi everyone,
I want to buy a new monitor. I own an Nvidia GPU, but G-sync is really expensive. Recently Nvidia confirmed G-sync compatibility on a few Freesync monitors. I had my eye on the XZ321Q https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.JX1EE.005 , but it's only 1080p, Then I discovered there is a XZ321QU aswell https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.JX1AA.003 , which is 1440p, but not on the supported list. Now, will G-sync work with the XZ321QU, or not? The only difference seems ot be the resolution, unless I'm missing something.

Comments

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If it is not on nvidia's list of supported monitors, then gsync might work, but artifacts or some blinking issues might appear, so it is not guaranteed that it will work in simpler terms.

Different resolution means that a different display panel is used, so even if it works on XZ321Q it might not work on XZ321QU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• heart_of_the_tiger

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply. Shame though, that monitor had all the features I wanted.
  • ven98
    I know that feeling well. The number of monitors with Gsync is very limited. At least nvidia finally decided to enable adaptive sync on the GPUs.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Leclightning57
    Leclightning57 Member Posts: 2 New User

I own an Acer XZ321QU (the higher resolution) and installed the latest Nvidia drivers today (15th January 2019). The G-Sync settings do appear in the Nvidia Control Panel which also shows the monitor as not yet compatible with G-Sync (the XZ321Q presumably is compatible). My experience is that G-Sync does work with this monitor with few anomalies (I use flight simulation software not renowned for its high frame rates). It would appear that you have to use a Display Port connection since HDMI does not show the G-Sync settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. It could be that HDMI is not compatible with G-Sync.

A question to Acer: do you have to turn on Freesync to make G-Sync to work with the latest drivers? My experience is that this is the case.

• heart_of_the_tiger

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Yeah, AFAIK you have to use a display port cable to make use of G-sync, at least with G-sync monitors. No idea if this is true for Freesync monitors when using Nvidia cards. Maybe, just get a disply port cable, try it out and report back? Would be greatly appreciated.
  • Leclightning57
    Leclightning57 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yeah, AFAIK you have to use a display port cable to make use of G-sync, at least with G-sync monitors. No idea if this is true for Freesync monitors when using Nvidia cards. Maybe, just get a disply port cable, try it out and report back? Would be greatly appreciated.

Have tried a display port connection and G-Sync does work with the XZ321QU. It may be that HDMI support will be provided later with G-Sync in future releases of the drivers.
  • ven98
    HDMI doesn't support Gsync on the original Gsync displays(have no idea how to call the Gsync displays with Gsync chip inside). Maybe in future versions of HDMI, but currently it is supported via DP only.

Gsync that runs on the Gsync certified monitors(the ones without gsync chip, but are tested) is called adaptive sync. Adaptive sync is supported on HDMI.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• heart_of_the_tiger

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Have tried a display port connection and G-Sync does work with the XZ321QU. It may be that HDMI support will be provided later with G-Sync in future releases of the drivers.
    So, are there issues with adaptive sync on this monitor when using Nvidia cards with a display port cable?
  • ven98
    No, adaptive sync works with DP and HDMI.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• heart_of_the_tiger

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Sorry, I should have emphasized. Are there issues like flickering, blurring ect. when using adaptive sync via Nvidia cards with a display port cable on this monitor? If yes, is there any difference between displayport and HDMI in terms of the the artifacts produced?
  • I received this response from the moderator Acer-Karp:
    The model XZ321QU support Freesync.
    The model XZ231Q support G-sync.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • heart_of_the_tiger

Tinkerer

So, the XZ321QU won't be on the approved list in the future then?

I still want to people's experience with this monitor when turning on adaptive sync on Nvidia cards.
  • Honestly, I do not know to inform you, because the hardware of the XZ231QU monitor is different from the XZ231Q!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • heart_of_the_tiger

Tinkerer

If it wasn't, I wouldn't have started this topic.
  • MJ_
    MJ_ Member Posts: 1 New User

I own an Acer XZ321QU (the higher resolution) and installed the latest Nvidia drivers today (15th January 2019). The G-Sync settings do appear in the Nvidia Control Panel which also shows the monitor as not yet compatible with G-Sync (the XZ321Q presumably is compatible). My experience is that G-Sync does work with this monitor with few anomalies (I use flight simulation software not renowned for its high frame rates). It would appear that you have to use a Display Port connection since HDMI does not show the G-Sync settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. It could be that HDMI is not compatible with G-Sync.

A question to Acer: do you have to turn on Freesync to make G-Sync to work with the latest drivers? My experience is that this is the case.

@Leclightning57 would you be open to running one of geforce's gsync tests and letting us know how it goes? There are a lot of people waiting to find out how well this monitor runs gsync. I'd personally super appreciate it.

Here is the pendulum test: https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

When you say it runs with 'few anomalies', are you referring to the fact it didn't work on HDMI or are you seeing issues with the image or your screen?

Thanks heaps for your help.
  • nikitos569
    nikitos569 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    I have this monitor and when the nvidia driver came out I tested FreeSync on the same day. First, as I installed the driver there were huge flickering issues but after several days of trial and error I found the solution:
    In the nvidia control panel, go to "Set up G-SYNC". The option "Enable for full screen mode" must be chosen, so that FreeSync only works in Fullscreen applications.
    Go to https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/7317?b=1 and download the monitor driver. Install it. If you don't know how, here's the instruction: 
    Copy the folder with the driver from the downloaded zip archive to any folder, open control panel, open device manager, open the "Monitors" list of devices, right click on the device that is there, click "update driver", click "perfom driver search on this computer, click "Browse" find and open the folder with the driver you downloaded, the option under the folder path should be ticked (enabled), press "Next". The driver should install.

Now the flickering should be gone. If you still get some flickering in games where your fps goes to 144, then cap your fps to 142, because with FreeSync (G-SYNC) enabled, your fps sometimes exceeds the 144fps limit and that causes flickering.

So, about games. I have a 1080 ti and i7-7700k. Games that I tested and which do not have issues: AC: Odyssey, Battlefield V, Dishonored 2, Path of Exile, Dishonored 2. These games run at 60-100 stable fps. There is still one game that flickers a lot: APB: Reloaded but no one plays it, so it's okay :)

I think for 550 dollars there are better monitors than this one: Samsung's C27HG70 (C32HG70), XF270HU, XF270HUA and NIXEUS EDG 27

Tell me if you want any other games tested with FreeSync!

• nikitos569

Tinkerer

Forgot to mention: you cannot use HDR with FreeSync enabled (no Freesync 2 support)
  • Dazze82
    Dazze82 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this monitor and when the nvidia driver came out I tested FreeSync on the same day. First, as I installed the driver there were huge flickering issues but after several days of trial and error I found the solution:
    In the nvidia control panel, go to "Set up G-SYNC". The option "Enable for full screen mode" must be chosen, so that FreeSync only works in Fullscreen applications.
    Go to https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/7317?b=1 and download the monitor driver. Install it. If you don't know how, here's the instruction: 
    Copy the folder with the driver from the downloaded zip archive to any folder, open control panel, open device manager, open the "Monitors" list of devices, right click on the device that is there, click "update driver", click "perfom driver search on this computer, click "Browse" find and open the folder with the driver you downloaded, the option under the folder path should be ticked (enabled), press "Next". The driver should install.

Now the flickering should be gone. If you still get some flickering in games where your fps goes to 144, then cap your fps to 142, because with FreeSync (G-SYNC) enabled, your fps sometimes exceeds the 144fps limit and that causes flickering.

So, about games. I have a 1080 ti and i7-7700k. Games that I tested and which do not have issues: AC: Odyssey, Battlefield V, Dishonored 2, Path of Exile, Dishonored 2. These games run at 60-100 stable fps. There is still one game that flickers a lot: APB: Reloaded but no one plays it, so it's okay :)

I think for 550 dollars there are better monitors than this one: Samsung's C27HG70 (C32HG70), XF270HU, XF270HUA and NIXEUS EDG 27

Tell me if you want any other games tested with FreeSync!

@nikitos569 could you put this info here..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/agc348/freesyncvrr_compatibility_with_nvidia_megathread/
  • nikitos569

Tinkerer

• heart_of_the_tiger

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    So, the standard freesync mode just doesn't seem to work. Shame. If this goes on and there's no solution, I can see myself switching to a genuine g-sync panel, I hear the Predator Z321QU is pretty good. Maybe this was Nvidias plan all along, wouldn't surprise me that much.