Nitro NP515-51 (Nitro 5 Spin) Nvidia Driver Power, Sleep and Screen issues.

SalarX
SalarX Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
So I've been facing this issue for many months. What happens is whenever I leave the screen to turn off automatically after sometime (or manually turn it off), the display turns off and I cannot access my laptop after that (it hangs with display off), until I do a hard reset by pressing the power button for 5 seconds. Because of this I have to keep to laptop back light always ON, which consumes a lot of battery. However this issue is solved if I disable the Nvidia Driver, but then, what's the use of a gaming hybrid laptop when, you can't do gaming on it?
Anyone else facing the same issue on their Nitro Spin 5 please reply. I have contacted Acer Customer Care Center many times but it's not solved. 
If you feel I've helped you, give a Yes to Did this answer the question? 
If you like my posts or comments, give a Like.
My laptop is Acer Nitro 5 Spin (NP515-51). 
I'm from India with love for technology, so message me if you want to discuss or ask a question  :3

Best Answers

• misterblack
    misterblack Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have the exact same problem as you.  My sleep and wake function doesn't work.  I constantly need to power off completely and power on whenever I need to wake up the laptop.

How do you disable the Nvidia driver?  Can you tell me the steps in detail so I do it properly?  If I disable the driver, does that mean the graphics card is no longer used?

I don't game, so I'm happy to use your solution.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    SalarX>>>The problem will never arise if I set Power Plan to never automatically sleep or turn display off after certain time.>>>

Yep. As I said to misterblack if you don't want to do this, then you'll have to click on and fiddle with changing the advanced power options for each device in the edit plan. However, the advanced options are quirky and don't always do what you would expect. For me, it's not worth the hassle especially when every other Win10 update seems to change these option settings among others. So I just press the power button or close the lid whenever I step away. Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• SalarX
    So I've been facing this issue for many months. What happens is whenever I leave the screen to turn off automatically after sometime (or manually turn it off), the display turns off and I cannot access my laptop after that (it hangs with display off), until I do a hard reset by pressing the power button for 5 seconds. Because of this I have to keep to laptop back light always ON, which consumes a lot of battery. However this issue is solved if I disable the Nvidia Driver, but then, what's the use of a gaming hybrid laptop when, you can't do gaming on it?
    Anyone else facing the same issue on their Nitro 5 Spin please reply. I have contacted Acer Customer Care Center many times but it's not solved. 
    I'm from India with love for technology, so message me if you want to discuss or ask a question  :3
  • Etheral
    Etheral Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

You may want to update your Intel chipset and graphics drivers. 

Here's a link to their support for drivers. 
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • JackE
    None of your power plans, including lid & button settings, should be set to hibernate, only sleep mode. The very minimal energy saving that hibernate allegedly provides the battery is not worth the annoyances it can produce. It's also best to set your power plan to never shut the screen off or put the laptop into sleep rather than set it automatically after a certain period of activity as it can lead to problems like this.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• misterblack

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I have the exact same problem as you.  My sleep and wake function doesn't work.  I constantly need to power off completely and power on whenever I need to wake up the laptop.

How do you disable the Nvidia driver?  Can you tell me the steps in detail so I do it properly?  If I disable the driver, does that mean the graphics card is no longer used?

• misterblack

Tinkerer

• JackE
    misterblackOpen Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do. Change all settings to sleep. The go back to 'edit power plan'. Change all settings to NEVER.

To disable nvidia driver, open Device Manager. Click 'diplay adapter' folder. Right click nvidia driver. Click disable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• misterblack

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    misterblackOpen Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do. Change all settings to sleep. The go back to 'edit power plan'. Change all settings to NEVER.

To disable nvidia driver, open Device Manager. Click 'diplay adapter' folder. Right click nvidia driver. Click disable. Jack E/NJ

Hi Jack,

All my settings were already set to Sleep, and I still have the same problems as SalarX.
    I'm not sure if you understand our situation.  SalarX and I both cannot wake our laptop with mouse or keyboard after it has gone to sleep.  The keyboard comes on after pressing a key, but the screen does not turn on.  If the screen has shut off without sleeping, the screen will turn back on  It has nothing to do with hibernation.  I never used Hibernate and I also doubt that SalarX used it either.

SalarX stated that if he disabled the Nvidia driver, the problems go away.  He didn't say that he disabled the card itself.  I'm guessing that if you disable the Nvidia driver, the graphics card and its memory remains usable by the system?  Is there a way to disable the driver but not the card, so that the system can still use the card and its memory in some capacity?  I don't game at all.

Thanks in advance!!!
  • misterblack

Tinkerer

Ok so I tested uninstalling the driver and disabling the video card, but it still won't wake up after sleeping with the keyboard or mouse.
  • JackE
    edited January 2019
    misterblack OK. Try this. Open Device Manager. Click Keyboard folder. Right click properties of each device that has a power management tab. Click box to allow the device to wake laptop. Same with mouse folder. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• misterblack

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    misterblack OK. Try this. Open Device Manager. Click Keyboard folder. Right click properties of each device that has a power management tab. Click box to allow the device to wake laptop. Same with mouse folder. Jack E/NJ
    These settings were already on for the keyboard and trackpad.  There were no such options for my bluetooth mouse.
  • JackE
    And neither work? If you tap the power button once to put the system to sleep, do they wake the system? If not, does tapping the power button once again wake it up?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• misterblack

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    And neither work? If you tap the power button once to put the system to sleep, do they wake the system? If not, does tapping the power button once again wake it up?  Jack E/NJ
    it works.  I'll be very clear.  This problem occurs only when the system initiates sleep on its own after the laptop is not in use (from power management plan)

If I click on sleep or press the power button once, it will be able to wake up.  But in the majority of circumstances, sleep is initiated by the minute timer on the power plan.

This is driving me crazy.  I've tried everything.
  • JackE
    As I mentioned earlier >>>'edit power plan'. Change all settings to NEVER.>>> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/636699/#Comment_636699

If you don't want to do this, then you'll have to click on and fiddle with changing the advanced power options for each device in the edit plan. However, be forewarned, the advanced options are quirky and don't always do what you would expect. Frankly, the Win10 app has not yet been polished ---- it hasn't changed much since WinVista.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mavuvu
    Mavuvu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem Misterblack
  • SalarX
    Mavuvu said:
    Same problem Misterblack
    But your screen is active. In my case, the screen is Blacked out and system is hanged.
  • SalarX
    JackE said:
    None of your power plans, including lid & button settings, should be set to hibernate, only sleep mode. The very minimal energy saving that hibernate allegedly provides the battery is not worth the annoyances it can produce. It's also best to set your power plan to never shut the screen off or put the laptop into sleep rather than set it automatically after a certain period of activity as it can lead to problems like this.   Jack E/NJ

"It's also best to set your power plan to never shut the screen off or put the laptop into sleep rather than set it automatically after a certain period of activity as it can lead to problems like this"
     What do you mean by this? Power Plan itself automatically manages automatic sleep or display off.
    The problem will never arise if I set Power Plan to never automatically sleep or turn display off after certain time. But this way laptop will loose battery power within an hour or less. None of the other Acer laptops my friends have any issue with Power settings. But when it comes to Nitro 5 Spin, it hangs as soon as display is set to turn of followed by sleep after certain period of time. Not only that shutting the laptop lid also causes similar problem when closing lid action is set to sleep.

In small words, whenever laptop is allowed to sleep after display turn off, it hangs badly.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    SalarX>>>The problem will never arise if I set Power Plan to never automatically sleep or turn display off after certain time.>>>

Yep. As I said to misterblack if you don't want to do this, then you'll have to click on and fiddle with changing the advanced power options for each device in the edit plan. However, the advanced options are quirky and don't always do what you would expect. For me, it's not worth the hassle especially when every other Win10 update seems to change these option settings among others. So I just press the power button or close the lid whenever I step away. Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

• SalarX
    JackE said:

So just a workaround and not a solution... But I must mention that it's not just with setting automatic timer for sleep or display off. If I assign Display off to the power button... it will hang anyway. The only solution is either to remove the Nvidia Driver completely or just never set to turn off the display; just set it to sleep.

Also I would like to mention it's more of a Driver conflict than issue with Windows, since just keeping my Intel Graphics and removing Nvidia Drivers solves the problem. I just hope that if Acer would look into this problem and check if it's just mine or misterblack's problem or it's a general issue with our laptop model, and accordingly provide a fix.
  • JackE
    >>>If I assign Display off to the power button... it will hang anyway. >>>

Don't set it to display off. Just put the computer to sleep. The amount of display power drained in laptop sleep mode vs display off mode is negligible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SalarX
    JackE said:
    >>>If I assign Display off to the power button... it will hang anyway. >>>

Don't set it to display off. Just put the computer to sleep. The amount of display power drained in laptop sleep mode vs display off mode is negligible. Jack E/NJ
    Okay thanks.