Need help with a HDD install on a E5-576G-5762

TomHF
TomHF Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I just got the Acer Aspire laptop and I want to add a 500GB/1TB HDD for additional storage space and possible backup. I've already ordered the 42.GDEN7.SV1 caddy and I am looking for advice on the drive itself. I am completely ignorant when it comes to technology so please treat me as a total novice.  I need to know what specs I should be looking for on the HDD such as size, connection type, etc, etc. I also need to know if there are any other steps that I need to take besides the actual mechanical installation of the drive such as formatting or any necessary steps to have the laptop recognize the drive.
TIA for any advice or help.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You need a 2.5" SATA HDD, attach the bracket to the HDD and insert the assembly as in the snip, the laptop will recognise the HDD and no preparation needed.

• TomHF
    TomHF Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Thanks for your response Brummy. Does that mean that a 2.5" SATA III HDD would be acceptable?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    No problem, yes 2.5" SATA III HDD will be fine.
  • roshanamin
    roshanamin Member Posts: 62 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    You need a 2.5" SATA HDD, attach the bracket to the HDD and insert the assembly as in the snip, the laptop will recognise the HDD and no preparation needed.

I opened the panel and slid in a 2.5" 1TB WD SATA HDD but without any bracket and yet it sits quite snugly. I do't have access to the Acer drive bracket in India though the LT has been purchased in the US. Would it be advisable to use it in such a manner? I have pre-partioned the HDD in to 5 drive volumes using AOMEI Partition software. I had not switched on the LT with the add on HDD but just checked the fit. Will the LT delete all data on this pre-partioned drive or ask to format again when it recognizes it? My requirement is for example the Steam game software and the MS Store purchase games, to by default install my games to this large HDD rather than the default SSD. How can I achieve this and also for example the over the close to 150 gb games already installed, would it be possible to migrate it without having to re-download the humongous data all over again? If yes, How?