Keyboard Back-Light BIOS bug. Nitro 5

AMDKilla
AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Since the Acer reps that browse this forum are apparently incapable of reading or understanding what people are complaining about, I am making this thread for people to reply to so we can show Acer how many people are affected.

Acer. You say that the backlight time out is a feature. While on battery power, it is yes. But we are telling you it's doing the same while on AC power. One of the reasons I bought my Nitro 5 was because I liked how the keyboard functioned. Now that you've changed this, I feel the product has been mis-sold. If you are unwilling to fix or even acknowledge that there is a problem, I will be returning my unit to the retailer and avoiding Acer products in the future.

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    @Jack22! This only happened when the notebook was used on the battery. When you connect the notebook to the power adapter, the keyboard should be permanently turned on. However, after upgrading to bios 1.22, the keyboard automatically shuts off after 30 seconds on both the battery and the power adapter!
    Hi all,

I have been informed that the backlight functionality for On Battery Power or AC Adapter Power has been change to do the same (always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke), i understand that their's been reports and comments in the community that you're not happy with this update and therefore we are forwarding this message to our design/engineering team for feedback.

Update it article: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause,
    Acer-Manny 

Answers

• todythedoby
    todythedoby Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

yes they are really clueless about the problem.i downgraded to bios 1.19 and it's the only solution atm.i was also thinking to record a video of how kb light stays on on ac power(for eternity) in bios 1.19 on my mobile and send the acer employees.but i am pretty sure they won't understand a thing.
  • AMDKilla
    I love how their support system says they will answer technical support emails within 48 hours... They still haven't got back to me yet.
  • Mikey2Toes
    Mikey2Toes Member Posts: 1 New User
    ya since the BIOS 1.22 update my backlight goes off after a few sec on a/c power but before the update it stayed on which is one feature i loved. acer if your seeing this please bring back the always on for the backlight or give us control of it our self's
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @AMDKilla
    I want to clarify the issue of the backlight on all Nitro's 5 and Acer models is to always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke, this is not a bug but a feature (is not new), and it is a power saver (it does save on battery life).
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903 

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • @Jack22! This only happened when the notebook was used on the battery. When you connect the notebook to the power adapter, the keyboard should be permanently turned on. However, after upgrading to bios 1.22, the keyboard automatically shuts off after 30 seconds on both the battery and the power adapter!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • @Jack22 What I said is correct, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    egydiocoelho
    I agree what is given in the Acer answers :)
  • AMDKilla
    Jack22 said:
    @AMDKilla
    I want to clarify the issue of the backlight on all Nitro's 5 and Acer models is to always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke, this is not a bug but a feature (is not new), and it is a power saver (it does save on battery life).
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903 

I wish people would stop quoting what the Acer Rep INCORRECTLY stated. If it was a feature while on AC power, then how come it wasn't in the earlier BIOS revisions? Why wasn't it added to the release notes for 1.11/1.22? And why wasn't it mentioned to me by Acer's technical support when they suggested collecting my laptop from me at their cost to see what was wrong? Why would they opt to pay for a courier if they didn't think something was amiss?
  • kenadhitya
    kenadhitya Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    I just updated to 1.22 from 1.19 without any clue about the keyboard timer fix. I'm REALLY having trouble with typing now, since most of the time i work in dark environments (like most of us users). Having to press a random key just to have the keyboard lit again is very non-productive! (YES the laptop is plugged in)

Is it possible that acer would include a toggle feature for this in the next upgrade or something? Im pretty sure a lot of users would agree with this.

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    @Jack22! This only happened when the notebook was used on the battery. When you connect the notebook to the power adapter, the keyboard should be permanently turned on. However, after upgrading to bios 1.22, the keyboard automatically shuts off after 30 seconds on both the battery and the power adapter!
    Hi all,

I have been informed that the backlight functionality for On Battery Power or AC Adapter Power has been change to do the same (always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke), i understand that their's been reports and comments in the community that you're not happy with this update and therefore we are forwarding this message to our design/engineering team for feedback.

Update it article: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause,
    Acer-Manny 
This discussion has been closed.