Nitro 5 515-52 Bios 1.22 Keyboard Back light Problem

Zero_dB
Zero_dB Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Previous Bios 1.19 everything works perfectly fine. Since I've updated to 1.22 keyboard backlight will turn off 30sec after the last stroke even if it is with "AC Adapter" attach
Can we roll back from 1.22 to 1.19? 

In 1.19  AC Adapter = always on keyboard backlight possible

Best Answers

• AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You can indeed downgrade, I managed it about a month ago with BIOS 1.11 on an an515-42.

"I successfully downgraded using the Windows based Flash Utility.

You have to run the installer for the version you want, and let it get to the error about the BIOS being newer than the flash file. Keep the program open and browse to your User\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. There will be a folder called something similar to "7zS1A52.tmp" that contains a program called H20FFT-W.

Copy this folder somewhere else, and then edit the Platform.ini

Use CTRL+F to search for "flag=2". You are looking for the one under [Bios_Version_Check]

Change this 2 to a 0 and save. You can then run the H2OFFT-W program and it will flash that version to your BIOS.

REMEMBER, THIS HAS THE ABILITY TO RENDER YOUR LAPTOP AN EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT!!"

File names will be slightly different as you have a different BIOS version, but the process is the same. You can ignore the post from Acer-Manny that says it's supposed to cut out after 30 seconds. They didn't read what the actual problem was before commenting. It is supposed to go off after 30 seconds, but only when on battery power. It is supposed to stay on during AC power.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi all,

I have been informed that the backlight functionality for On Battery Power or AC Adapter Power has been change to do the same (always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke), i understand that their's been reports and comments in the community that you're not happy with this update and therefore we are forwarding this message to our design/engineering team for feedback.

Update it article: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause,
    Acer-Manny 

Answers

• kenadhitya
    kenadhitya Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Im having the same issue here! its really annoying, since most of the time im using my Nitro 5 in dark environments. I updated to 1.22 yesterday, and im  not happy having to press random keys in the dark just to see the keys lit. I read somewhere in the forum that it was "supposed" to be 30 seconds default, and BIOS 1.22 fixed that. Could @Acer address this for future BIOS update or is there solution around this? Most of us users would benefit from this feature especially when working in the dark.
  • AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    You can indeed downgrade, I managed it about a month ago with BIOS 1.11 on an an515-42.

You have to run the installer for the version you want, and let it get to the error about the BIOS being newer than the flash file. Keep the program open and browse to your User\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. There will be a folder called something similar to "7zS1A52.tmp" that contains a program called H20FFT-W.

Use CTRL+F to search for "flag=2". You are looking for the one under [Bios_Version_Check]

Change this 2 to a 0 and save. You can then run the H2OFFT-W program and it will flash that version to your BIOS.

REMEMBER, THIS HAS THE ABILITY TO RENDER YOUR LAPTOP AN EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT!!"

File names will be slightly different as you have a different BIOS version, but the process is the same. You can ignore the post from Acer-Manny that says it's supposed to cut out after 30 seconds. They didn't read what the actual problem was before commenting. It is supposed to go off after 30 seconds, but only when on battery power. It is supposed to stay on during AC power.
  • kenadhitya

Tinkerer

AMDKilla said:

Do you think this method will work downgrading from 1.22 to 1.19? I really wanna try to do this, but im still waiting for an official statement from Acer about this issue. The 30 second timer bug is really killing me at this point.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I'll consider following these steps if no hope prevails
  • kenadhitya

Tinkerer

I successfully downgraded to 1.19! Thank you so much!
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi all,

I have been informed that the backlight functionality for On Battery Power or AC Adapter Power has been change to do the same (always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke), i understand that their's been reports and comments in the community that you're not happy with this update and therefore we are forwarding this message to our design/engineering team for feedback.

Update it article: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause,
    Acer-Manny 
This discussion has been closed.