SSD m.2 does not show in BIOS but appears in Windows

Ala_bek
Ala_bek Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I wanted to upgrade my laptop acer VN7-571G so I added a TOSHIBA 256GB SSD M.2. My goal is to boot my OS from this SSD. The SSD shows up well in Windows 10 and I was able to write/read from it. When I checked the  BIOS this drive does not appear at all. I tried cloning my OS from the HDD to SSD but the boot did not work. I upgraded my bios, still it did not work. I tried to install windows on the SSD alone but this did not work as windows says that it cannot be installed on this drive because it doesn't show up in BIOS. I tried to force the laptop to boot from SSD so I unplugged the HDD, still this did not work.I want to know if there is another way to make the SSD apparent in the BIOS boot menu. 

Answers

• Hi! What is the serial number and exact model of your ssd? have you tried updating the ssd firmware? Is ssd identified in the bios information section?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ala_bek
    Sorry for this late reply, I was travelling. So the SSD is KXG50ZNV256G NVMe TOSHIBA 256GB, this does not show in my BIOS as I stated above but it works in Windows just fine. I updated its firmware to the latest but still does not show up in BIOS.

• OK! Can you tell if ssd is detected in the bios information section? What is the bios version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ala_bek
    My BIOS version is V1.14, which is the latest version I could get for my laptop. The bios does not detect the SSD neither on the information page nor on the boot menu.
  • Are you already changing the bootmode to legacy if ssd is recognized? Have you checked if ssd is converted to gpt to work in uefi mode?
    Convert with these commands in cmd as administrator: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x, clean, convert gpt, create partition primary, format fs=ntfs quick, assign!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ala_bek
    I tried these possibilities, still neither worked on the SSD. I tried even to modify the Windows Boot Manager to start from the SSD, nevertheless it gave me errors.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    Have you tried upgrading the notebook bios? The sata mode is ahci or ide?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer