Laptop randomly shuts off when not on AC Power Acer Aspire E14 (E5-475G-380U)

ivanraptor730
ivanraptor730 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

Before anything else, my laptop: 
Acer Aspire E14 (E5-475G-380U) 
i3-7100U/GT940MX 
4GB RAM 
1 year old

I just suddenly had this problem where my laptop shuts off suddenly when on Battery power. The battery is fully charged and i don't suspect that the battery is dead. When it randomly shuts off, and i open it again without the ac, it will turn on, i'll hear the fan, or maybe the HDD spin for about 3 seconds, then it will shut off again. It will repeat the same thing about two times (without me hitting the Power Button), before it boots up normally, but will again, shut off. Is there a problem with the battery? or this is something else?

Sidenotes: I slept about 12:30am-ish, and woke up at 6:30am. When i turned on the laptop, the issue of turning off and ond again is still there, but it repeated for 5 times now before it boots normally (in the 5th, it showed the "Acer" logo), and i plugged the charger in. same thing, 100% battery. but when windows booted up, the time is STILL, 12:30am, but in reality, its already 6:30am. Does this have something to do with the CMOS?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Check bottom of machine for a battery reset pinhole. If it exists, gently press paper clip into pinhole for 30 seconds. Then let the machine rest for 15 minutes. The plug the charger back in and wait for the charger light to turn blue. Then disconnect the charger. Turn the machine on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ivanraptor730
    ivanraptor730 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Will this work even if the battery is fully charged? Or do i need to drain it?
    UPDATE:
    Laptop is alternating between the random shut off state and the normal state (not shutting off when no ac power). I still have no idea what causes this aside from moving the laptop (maybe?), because it only triggers when i move the laptop away from the table (e.g. putting it on my lap, or putting it on another place)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>because it only triggers when i move the laptop away from the table >>>

OK. The safety interlock switch or battery re-set switch is being inadvertently activated from pressure on the case. You must remove the HDD & RAM covers and 14 screws securingthe bottom cover and pry off the base as shown below.

First check the battery re-set switch under the pinhole to make sure something protruding from inside the bottom case can't depress it. If all seems OK, then look for another obvious protrusion inside the bottom case that is supposed to be depressing a mainboard safety switch when the cover is on. The purpose of this switch is to cut power if the bottom case is taken off. Sometimes this other protrusion inside the case doesn't fully depress the switch and the system shuts off when moved. The solution is to apply tape or spacer to the case protrusion so it presses harder against this switch to keep it on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ