Hinge Issue on Aspire E 15 (E5-575-33BM)

PFIT
PFIT Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can push me in the right direction. I've had this laptop for a little less than a year. When I first received it from amazon, the screen was smashed. I'm assuming shipping issue, Acer replaced no problem. Now this laptop is still under warranty, and after sitting on hold for about 30 minutes with their support number I gave up. The left hinge on the monitor has came loose. Now anytime you attempt to move the laptop screen it cracks plastic and pops the bezel around the screen out of "socket". After doing a bit of googling a lot of people seem to have an issue with the left hinge. Unlike most other users, my hinge came off inside of the monitor section not the base.

So here is my question, can I just use some hot glue inside of the cracked spaces where the screws used to screw into and let it set with a small vice. I'm concerned about the heat near the 2 small wires in near the hinge (assuming display port and antenna?). I'm not going to send back to Acer and spend $200-$300 to fix a $350 laptop.

This is actually kind of disappointing, I think this is my 6th acer and I bought my girlfriend the same model and her machine shuts off randomly when on battery. My guess bad cell in battery but since the battery isn't easy to get too, I'm not in a hurry to rip it apart. Thanks for any input.

Fred

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

Sorry to hear your having issues with the hinges, i am unable to determine if is cover under warranty or not on this channel, please contact your local support center for better assistance, have the serial number ready and i recommend to have some pictures as well, they can determine and give you all a better explanation of the process to follow.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

We apologized for any inconveniences this may cause,
    Acer-Manny

Answers

• Blubecca7
    Blubecca7 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same laptop. I've had it for a year. And the right hinge is now coming apart really bad. It's taking the plastic off the front of the screen around the edges. And I can't even fully open it or close it now. Because it's just coming apart. I have never had this problem with any of my other laptops, different brands, and I don't know what to do. I can't afford to take it to get fixed. Any advice?
  • Ruff
    Ruff Member Posts: 1 New User
    @Acer-Manny
    I am experiencing the same issue and my laptop is still under warranty. Does it cover this problem? I really can't afford to pay in order for it to be fixed since I'm still a student. Please help!
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

Sorry to hear your having issues with the hinges, i am unable to determine if is cover under warranty or not on this channel, please contact your local support center for better assistance, have the serial number ready and i recommend to have some pictures as well, they can determine and give you all a better explanation of the process to follow.

We apologized for any inconveniences this may cause,
    Acer-Manny

• Niniane
    Niniane Member Posts: 1 New User
    I recently acquired an Acer E5-575-33BM. Suddenly yesterday the hinge on the right side of the laptop broke and now I can't open or close it without the casing around the screen separating. I'm surprised this happened on a relatively new laptop.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Niniane,

Please contact your local support center for better assistance, have the serial number ready and i recommend to have some pictures as well, they can determine and give you all a better explanation of the process to follow.

Thank,
    Acer-Manny
  • gunmar
    gunmar Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same issue on both of our Aspire E15 (E5-575)'s.  

We bought one last year and liked it so much we bought another the next month.  a couple months ago the right hinge on one of them broke leading to the same separation of the screen frame and inability to close the laptop.  We've been trying to use it for the past couple months but now the screen stopped working.

Last month the second laptop did the exact same thing.  hinge broke during normal operation and now the plastic frame around the screen is separating, wires exposed and screen not working.  

I called Acer to see if it was a known issue and whether or not it's covered under warranty.  They would only issue a repair authorization and ask that i ship them to the repair center (on my dime by the way) with the understanding that i would pay for both repairs if they determined it was not a manufacturing error.

Not sure why i'd send them back to Acer - it's too easy for them to say it was dropped or misused and charge for the repair.  Pay a couple hundred dollars to repair a $300 laptop?  No way. 

Shady.  

• aedyall
    aedyall Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I have found that a small binder clip is just the right size to hold it together and also allow it to open and close.
    Kinda tacky, but it is working so far. 
    It's a shame that Acer hasn't come up with a fix for everyone with this ongoing problem.
    Seems like the should offer a free fix since the problem is so widespread.
  • NDeepK
    NDeepK Member Posts: 1 New User
    aedyall said:
    I have found that a small binder clip is just the right size to hold it together and also allow it to open and close.
    Kinda tacky, but it is working so far. 
    It's a shame that Acer hasn't come up with a fix for everyone with this ongoing problem.
    Seems like the should offer a free fix since the problem is so widespread.
    Hey,

If possible, could you please share a picture of how you managed to do this? 
    I am facing a similar issue with Aspire E15 model E5-575G-53VG.

Thanks,
    Namandeep Kaur
  • aedyall

Tinkerer

I just clipped it from the side at the bottom of the screen over the hinge area.
  • JoeyB
    JoeyB Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same problem with both hinges on my 2 year old Aspire E5 575G. I tried several glues/epoxies, but the stress on the hinges is too great, so no go. The solution I came up with works well, but is not for the faint of heart.

The problem was caused by the metal sleeves into which the hinge screws go cracked out of the plastic lid. I removed the metal sleeves, filled the void with epoxy and re-attached the hinge by drilling out the hinge screw holes to accept flathead 4-40 stainless screws. Then, holding the hinge in place to use as a guide, I drilled completely through the cover (#33 drill). I countersunk the screw holes so the screw heads are level with the hinge surface so the screen bezel will fit. I used stainless acorn nuts on the outside of the lid. I was pleased to find that the aesthetics of the cover were not badly affected. The acorn nuts are symmetric and give the laptop kind of a "heavy duty machine" look. If you try this, first make sure to cover the keyboard with a protective board with tape all around the edges. Vacuum out the work area to make sure no metal particles are left behind.

• PleaseH3LPme
    PleaseH3LPme Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had this problem how can I fix this
  • aedyall

Tinkerer

"I had this problem how can I fix this"
    See above for my workAround. It's not a fix, but it makes the unit usable.
    It seems that ACER doesn't care that so many of their customers are having this exact same problem.
    I would certainly *not* buy another ACER product simply because they have not responded to this widespread problem with an otherwise good product.
    I also tell anyone who is considering buying an ACER product to not waste their money.
    Really a shame.
  • Simonsez
    Simonsez Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm experiencing the same issue with my ES-575. This is a manufacturing flaw. The hinges are far too stiff for the already flimsy screen. My laptop is about 18 months. About 4 months ago I found a tiny phillips head screw next to the left hinge. Shortly after the plastic frame around the screen began catching which eventually caused the screen frame to come apart. I found a youtube video that shows how to remove the screen frame. I put the screw back in and tightened the other 2 screws. Last night the entire left hinge broke off with the 3 screws still attached to the hinge, the plastic that held the nuts broke. I'm not spending 100 to fix a 300 laptop so tomorrow I'm breaking out some JB Weld and going to attempt to fix it.

Acer, this should have been a recall as these hinges are too stiff for the job they have to do.
  • vancouvermark
    vancouvermark Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2019
    so I have had to repair one side of my E5-575 AND NOW THE OTHER SIDE IS doing the same ***** thing.
  • westcoastpeanut
    westcoastpeanut Member Posts: 1 New User
    i have spent over 300 dollars repairing the hinges of my E5-575 and now I come across this community of people with the same model computer al having the same problems.  And I read the comments from Acer snubbing everyone because of their years of research.  We guess what even University Professors make mistakes after their years of research.  The blatant denial of the flawed manufacturing of this model has just made my next purchase much easier ... its not going to be an Acer.
  • struct_dhancha
    struct_dhancha Member Posts: 3 New User
    One day I was just opening my laptop like every day, and what I see is that the laptop frame had popped out from the right side! After searching a lot I found this discussion and this is the same thing that happened with me. The Acer officials just say that this is a case of physical damage and won't cover under warranty. I can't even visit the service center in this lockdown situation :(
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hello to all,

The topic is closed because of its age and since there is a solution mark, if you still have problems with your computer, I invite you to open a new question or post so that the users of the Acer community can guide you.

Thank you,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.