will a 256GB mSATA Mini PCIE SSD Solid State Hard drive work in my 5517

pntfrmr
pntfrmr Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Am rebuilding my 5517 and was wondering if I could use the sata onboard port to plug in a 256GB mSATA Mini PCIE SSD Solid State Hard drive, and if anyone else has gone this route?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Sorry, specs don't show an onboard mSATA port for this model. Does the port in question on your machine seem to show the mSATA card on the extreme right in the image below might fit the port receptacle? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pntfrmr
    yes the one on the right will fit the socket on my motherboard
  • pntfrmr
    my next question is can I use both it and the hdd in the bottom of the case at the same time? eg 500 gb ssd in case and 256 onboard as operating system drive?
  • JackE
    Since your mainboard seems to be different than the Aspire 5517 spec sheet, I can only say that your mSATA card should work as a D drive. However, whatever mainboard you have is probably about 10 years old. So I see little or no advantage to try to boot from an mSATA card instead of the 2.5" SATA SSD. The speeds should be comparable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pntfrmr
    My motherboard is a NCWGO LA-5481P but I think you answered my question I will just install the mx500 crucial drive and let it go at that thanks.
  • JackE
    I'm still not seeing an mSATA slot in the specs for that board either. Could you please post a screenshot of what you're seeing? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ