Acer Nitro 5 Overheating, help!(Nitro 5 AN515-52

BogdanX904
BogdanX904 Member Posts: 51 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited June 2019 in Nitro Gaming
I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52, and as all of them, it overheats. I can't play anything, with my fans at max and coolboost on. I've tried undervolting, didn't help me. Any help? The laptop either gives me a BSOD, either just freezes randomly while playing games like Subnautica, CS GO etc, and the sound blocks and repeats, and I mean it's a strange sound, kind of like a buzzer. I have to turn if off by holding the power button 10 seconds. It also sometimes just shuts down on its own. It annoys me a lot. After a long waiting of it to boot up, I have to wait in order for it to work and NitroSense is bugged. Any workaround?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If the laptop crashes that means you have undervolted too much, so you may try increasing the voltage a bit.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• BogdanX904
    CPU: I5 8300H
    GPU: 1050
    OS; WIndows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Model Number: AN515-52, as I said in the title.
    I tried increasing the voltage a lot, it still did. Plus, if increasing them it doesn't really help anymore, no more temperature changes.
  • ven98
    How much was your first undervolt and by how much did you reduce the voltage? What is the current voltage offset you have set?

If the system crashes because the voltage(with the mentioned symptoms I am sure it is) is too low you have no other choice, but to increase it in order to stop the crashes.

At what temperatures the CPU and GPU are running at? 

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• BogdanX904
    Well, I undervolting even to -0.150 and it still happened, and now it's the default and happens also. My CPU gets at 98 degrees Celsius, when it "crashes"(freezes, shuts down etc.) it may get even hotter, but the most I've seen is 98. My GPU never gets past 80.
    Before I got bluescreens mostly(when I undervolted it) and occasional freezes like that. Now I only get the ones listed in my post. At -0.150 it didn't make any difference.
  • ven98
    -150mV is very low. What kind of errors do you get when the CPU isn't undervolted(stock voltages)?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BogdanX904
    When it isn't undervolted I get bluescreens(Didn't get them recently tho), it shuts down, and another problem, not even overheating. I will make a new thread on that.
    I get less overheating since a couple of days ago. I uninstalled ThrottleStop and used Intel XTU to undervolt to -0.150 and I don't even run it while gaming, it may have saved the voltage, but the BIOS resets it as I know, not sure, but I started to get lower temperatures.
  • ven98
    What kind of error does it appear on the BSOD when the device ISN'T UNDERVOLTED. I see you have created a new thread about a freeze and buzzing noise, which is related to your undervolt. -150mV is very low and you have to increase it to -120mV for example and that freezing will stop. If it happens on -120mV that means you have to increase further to -100mV until it stops freezing.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BogdanX904
    edited January 2019
    Thanks, about the BIOS I am not sure.
    But I barely see any temperature change with -150mV, what would -120mV help me for?
    Edit: The voltage is the default about that freeze, so idk why.
  • ven98
    That means you have to either repaste the CPU with a high quality thermal paste(voids warranty unless you are in the US) or contact Acer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Ayonhi5
    Ayonhi5 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    Try clearing your fan vents . Works like magic !
  • BogdanX904
    Ayonhi5 said:
    Try clearing your fan vents . Works like magic !
    Seriously?... It's an ACER NITRO 5. And brand new.

• BogdanX904
    ven98 said:
    That means you have to either repaste the CPU with a high quality thermal paste(voids warranty unless you are in the US) or contact Acer.
    I am not in the US, what could Acer do?
  • ven98
    Tell them that the laptop is overheating and because of that its performance is reduced and that most likely it needs to be repasted. 

Acer will repaste the laptop. In some cases they might replace the motherboard for no reason. There is a chance that they won't apply the paste correctly and the CPU will run hot again.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• BogdanX904
    Thanks, I will. After/If I do that I will tell you if it's any better!
  • ARA3601
    ARA3601 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52, and as all of them, it overheats. I can't play anything, with my fans at max and coolboost on. I've tried undervolting, didn't help me. Any help? The laptop either gives me a BSOD, either just freezes randomly while playing games like Subnautica, CS GO etc, and the sound blocks and repeats, and I mean it's a strange sound, kind of like a buzzer. I have to turn if off by holding the power button 10 seconds. It also sometimes just shuts down on its own. It annoys me a lot. After a long waiting of it to boot up, I have to wait in order for it to work and NitroSense is bugged. Any workaround?
    Pls , can you specify you laptop specs
  • BogdanX904
    Why though?
  • ARA3601
    ARA3601 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

@BogdanX904 did you solve your laptop's overheating issue? I'm planning to buy Acer nitro 5, so just doing some research?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    BogdanX904 said Quote "I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52, and as all of them, it overheats" Mine doesn't overheat and the only time we here of them overheating is on this Forum, that is a tiny proportion of them because there are thousands that have been manufactured and are in use. Nitro's and Predators are designed to run hot but you should aim for under 90deg C.

I would repaste with Grizzly Kryonaut (at least a 10deg reduction), game using Max fan and Coolboost, use a cooling mat such as Targus with built in fans powered from one of your USB's (another 5 deg reduction). Link on how to repaste below but if you are outside the USA it voids your warranty
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfoUkIazNA&list=FLyGta3Nb1XwOGMN6IM_qKAQ&index=2&t=262s

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• badmyn
    badmyn Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

this story with repasting is only an workaround which many times bring worst results.. take care, many people tell this story but just a few tried it in reality.

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    badmyn said:
    this story with repasting is only an workaround which many times bring worst results.. take care, many people tell this story but just a few tried it in reality.

I'm sorry but in my experience that isn't true, most people report a drop of 5 to 10 deg C. I have not read anywhere of people getting bad results unless they did not follow the correct procedure posted below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRe0ZcZLA6w

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★