Acer Swift 1 Boot Menu

Windowsfree
Windowsfree Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, I just purchased a Swift 1 N5000 and would prefer not to use Windows OS.  I am unsure on how to setup the BIOS to boot a USB install disc so that I can change the Operating System.   Can someone point me to a guide or any instructions?

Thank you.

(i have also posted this in Members Lounge, if a moderator needs to remove, please do so)
~Bob

Best Answer

• Windowsfree
    Answer ✓
    I want to thank everyone who has responded.  I did all the steps above and have updated the BIOS.  I used Etcher to create the boot usb disc.  Problem was it wasn't seeing it at all when depressing F12 at start.  I realized the 16 gig USB drive was 2.0 so I plugged into the other side and booted into linux.  Wifi, bluetoooth all working.  No issues with touchpad either.  I am using the live USB right now to write this response.

So it was me not using the proper port to boot the drive.  Thank you everyone that has responded.  Screenshot of desktop below.  I am considering this thread resolved.

~Bob

Answers

• AlpineTom
    AlpineTom Member Posts: 58 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Turn on our laptop and keep pressing F12 repeatedly to get to the boot menu.

Sometimes, however, the boot menu isn't enabled by default. If you keep pressing F12 but nothing happens, turn the laptop off and on again, and keep pressing F2. This takes you to the BIOS setup where you can enable the boot menu.
  • Mateo620
    Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    FYI, the SF114-32's BIOS does NOT have an option to change from UEFI mode. You can however disable Secure Boot if need be. 

Out of curiosity, what OS are you going to be using?
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    when you go into the bios using F2, the F12 option will be greyed out.  To enable this, you'll have to set a supervisor/admin password in the bios and that'll make the F12 option available to be "enabled". (turn off secure boot as it doesn't add anything to a linux install but might just be a pain instead!).
  • Windowsfree
    Mateo620 said:
    FYI, the SF114-32's BIOS does NOT have an option to change from UEFI mode. You can however disable Secure Boot if need be. 

I will be using Manajaro Linux distribution - with the XFCE desktop environment
    ~Bob

• Windowsfree
    edited January 2019
    Thank you to all who responded so far, I will attempt suggested steps and advise later.  I see there is a BIOS update available as of yesterday.  [8 Jan 2019]
    ~Bob

• Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Thank you to all who responded so far, I will attempt suggested steps and advise later.  I see there is a BIOS update available as of yesterday.  [8 Jan 2019]
    Wonder if it's possible get some info about the new bios 1.07 before updating it.
  • Mateo620
    edited January 2019
    Mateo620 said:

I've tested a few live CDs for a few distros. I will make a separate thread about my findings soon.

Awesome, thanks for pointing out the new BIOS!

Like Bytemare said, I'd like to know what was updated in this new 1.07 BIOS. I'm hoping for a few fixes specifically HDMI 2.0a 4K@60Hz video output support by the N5000.
  • Gawain
    i've a sf113 and am presently running manjaro deepin without any issues but before i was using opensuse (kde) - both work like a charm (except the fingerprint reader) even though the processor is light weight.  With any bios update, if you really have to (using 1.06 i think on mine), do it before you put linux on it as they're a lot easier with windows.
  • Windowsfree
    Gawain said:
    i've a sf113 and am presently running manjaro deepin without any issues but before i was using opensuse (kde) - both work like a charm (except the fingerprint reader) even though the processor is light weight.  With any bios update, if you really have to (using 1.06 i think on mine), do it before you put linux on it as they're a lot easier with windows.
    My thought process was to try it prior to doing a BIOS update, in case there are more BIOS features locked down with the newer version.  If I have trouble installing, I will update the BIOS and give it another shot.  Won't know for a few hours yet.
    ~Bob

• Windowsfree
    Mateo620 said:
    Mateo620 said:

I've tested a few live CDs for a few distros. I will make a separate thread about my findings soon.

Awesome, thanks for pointing out the new BIOS!

Like Bytemare said, I'd like to know what was updated in this new 1.07 BIOS. I'm hoping for a few fixes specifically HDMI 2.0a 4K@60Hz video output support by the N5000.
    BIOS 1.07 - Updates feature code version (not very detailed info)
    ~Bob

• Mateo620
    No, not very detailed or useful description. C'mon Acer what the heck man?

I extracted the BIOS 1.07 download as much as I could but did not find any release notes or an update log.

Now that we've gotten the first updated BIOS of 2019, I'm hoping updated drivers are next to be released. At the very least the Intel graphics drivers to coincide with the new Windows DCH Drivers for Windows 10 as listed on Intel's Support site.
  • Windowsfree
    Mateo620 said:
    No, not very detailed or useful description. C'mon Acer what the heck man?

I extracted the BIOS 1.07 download as much as I could but did not find any release notes or an update log.

Now that we've gotten the first updated BIOS of 2019, I'm hoping updated drivers are next to be released. At the very least the Intel graphics drivers to coincide with the new Windows DCH Drivers for Windows 10 as listed on Intel's Support site.
    Thanks for the info
    ~Bob

• Windowsfree
    well, i turned of secure boot and I cannot get computer to recognize the USB drive with Manjaro on it.  I guess I may wind up running it in a VM
    ~Bob

• Mateo620
    edited January 2019
    How did you create the USB drive? With what software?

How did you format the USB drive? FAT32, NTFS? For MBR or GPT partition? As ISO Image Mode or DD Image Mode (applies to Rufus)?
  • Gawain
    edited January 2019
    just to check, you did enable f12 in the bios and when you tap away on f12 on boot, you do get a list of drives to boot from?  and then it fails when selecting your stick?
  • Windowsfree
    Answer ✓
    I want to thank everyone who has responded.  I did all the steps above and have updated the BIOS.  I used Etcher to create the boot usb disc.  Problem was it wasn't seeing it at all when depressing F12 at start.  I realized the 16 gig USB drive was 2.0 so I plugged into the other side and booted into linux.  Wifi, bluetoooth all working.  No issues with touchpad either.  I am using the live USB right now to write this response.

So it was me not using the proper port to boot the drive.  Thank you everyone that has responded.  Screenshot of desktop below.  I am considering this thread resolved.

~Bob

• Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Ok so I took a chance updating  to the new bios 1.07 and so far everything seem to be working fine. :)
  • Mateo620
    edited January 2019
    Bytemare said:
    Ok so I took a chance updating  to the new bios 1.07 and so far everything seem to be working fine. :)

Did you notice any differences inside and outside the BIOS?
  • Windowsfree
    no, nothing discernable
    ~Bob

• Windowsfree

Below is picture taken with phone showing Manjaro Linux running from USB drive prior to install.

~Bob