Aspire S7 - SSD Disk failure - Reboots automatically right after starting Disk Repair

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    Unlike a RAID0, a RAID1 likely can be easily broken by simply removing one of the SSDs since they mirrors of each other with all the partitions needed to boot and recover each drive separately. And changing the BIOS setup from RAID1 to ACHI. I sense that the repair failures may be due to their inability to properly detect and handle RAID 1 configuration errors. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006188/technologies.html   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• portos
    portos Member Posts: 22

Tinkerer

Thank you, both.

Notebook name and Bios included in previous post (in the post itself and attached to such post) as noted by Jack. Please let me know if additional information is needed and I will provide

The SSD came with the laptop, however I sent it back to factory shortly after buying it due to some errors in the SSD and it was replaced (at least they said so)

F10 does not work in my laptop. In any case, I prefer to avoid reinstalling or reseting Windows 10 if possible.

• portos

Tinkerer

Thank you both!

Laptop model and BIOS info is on the post referred by Jack E (in the body of the post and attached to it). Please let me know if you need additional information and I will provide

The SSD came with the laptop but I sent it back to factory shortly after buying it due to some failure on the SSD. The disk was replaced (or that's what I was told).

F10 function does not work for me. I tried several times. However, I'd rather not reseting or reinstalling windows if it can be avoided

Thanks
  • portos

Tinkerer

Sorry I did not see that there was a second page of posts  :# 

I will review the documentation to delete a mirror and, if so, give it a try. I will get back to you
  • portos

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    I have been reviewing the information under Intel plus navigating through Intel Rapid Storage Technology app, trying to delete the RAID 1 mirror but this is what I now understand (I might be wrong but would prefer to populate my doubts with the group):
     - I have 2 128GB SSD installed (different serial number each) but working as one volume of 256 GB  (Volume 1)
     - Both are running as RAID 0 (stripping)

Sorry if I am saying something very obvious, but I am no expert. If one of them fails or I delete it, both fail/are deleted. I couldnt find the reference to RAID1. Attached you'll find a couple of screenshots. 

Thanks!
  • JackE
    Sorry. No. Your earlier BIOS screenshot seems inconsistent https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/632288/#Comment_632288  with your latest post. The BIOS detects two separate 256GB m.2 SSDs (HDD0 & HDD1) with HDD0 as the boot drive. HDD1 is just a mirror of HDD0. This is a RAID1 setup, not RAID0. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    You can simply remove the HDD1 with serial number ending in CF5 and the system should still boot on HDD0 with serial number ending in CF3. The BIOS Main tab SATA mode would also have to be changed from RAID to ACHI. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• portos

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack.

I am starting to think that there may be a problem with the BIOS (??). A just received feedback from KINGSTON and they basically say that my SSD model (SMSM150S3/24G2)  is a 32Gb drive (????), discontinued in 2015 with no firmare updates available

I have been through some reviews of the S7-392 model and everywhere says thnik like it features "standard mSATA Solid State Drive. The system shows a RAID 0 configuration with two 128 GB SSDs". "Acer equips the S7-392 with a RAID 0 SSD that consists of two 128 GB Solid State Drives. However, both SSDs are on one mSATA module. The resulting capacity is 256 GB and the operating system only shows one drive. Data is divided across both drives, which increases the read and write performances noticeably. But the problem with this solution is that you will lose all your data if only one drive is damaged.  The RAID system of the S7-392 is slower than the counterpart from its predecessor. While the sequential reading performance only shows a small difference, we can see almost twice the writing speeds from the old S7-391. This is, however, not really perceptible in practice"

With this in mind, could it be possible that my BIOS is the one not showing the right results? Should I update the BIOS (if possible)? Should I ask INTEL directly to unravel the mistery (??)...

Laptop Detailed: S7-392-9890-US W8ML64A13/I7-4500U/BT/8G/

• JackE
    >>> my SSD model (SMSM150S3/24G2)  is a 32Gb drive (????), >>>

No.The model number listed in the BIOS is SMSR150S3256G NOT SMSM150S3/24G2. Also an mSATA card drive is not the same as an m.2 SATA card drive. I think your BIOS firmware is correct since it almost exactly matches the spec sheet for this S7 model. Not a single HDD0 RAiD0 configuration but two separate HDDO + HDD1 RAID 1 configurations. I would not attempt to fix this with a BIOS firmware update since the machine is functional and an firmware update can risk a brick or cause adverse device side effects. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• portos

Tinkerer

By the way, my BIOS firmware is 2.09, so It should not be related to the problem reported directly by Acer (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4821;-;Aspire S7-392). However, there are two additional updates (2.10 and 2.11). I will update to 2.11 and see what happen
  • portos

Tinkerer

Thank you, JackE. We just posted at the same time. I will look into it with Disk Management tool
  • JackE
    Hold on. My mistake. They are mSATAs, not m.2 SATAs. But the RAID configuration is still questionable as two separate drives are listed not one. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Yes. It will be interesting to see what diskmgmt.msc reveals. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• portos

Tinkerer

Hi... sorry I could not respond earlier. Attached a couple of pages with screenshots from Disk Management tool. I think it says that it is format as RAID 0. Not sure what the next step may be (if any)...

• JackE
    BIOS suggests only two RAID1 256GB drives (HDD0 & HDD1)
    VS
    Diskmgmt two RAiD0 256GB drives (HDD0) and a 512GB D drive (HDD1).

Is the D drive external?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• portos

Tinkerer

Yes, D is external. I was backing things up when I opened Disk Management... Sorry I did not mention it.

Then, do we really have a mistery? Who should we believe (DiskM or BIOS)? Who's the murderer? I bet it was the butler with the knife in the cellar...
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    OK. I now tend to believe Diskmgmt. It seems to be a RAID0 setup with two separate 256GB Kingston mSATAs acting as a single HDD0 C drive. RAID0 increases disk access speed by splitting processing between 2 drives instead of 1. RAID1 uses only 1 drive for processing and the other drive for mirror data backup only. So RAID1 is about half as fast as but safer than RAID0.

Which brings us right back to square one --- your very first post --- and your comment "I do not want to go for full reset if can be avoided."
    You seem to have 2 choices. (1) Skip disk checking like you did before with Win8 or (2) Do what you don't wanna do either with a factory Win8 or an upgrade Win10 reset 

If it was mine, I'd probably choose (1) as long as I regularly back up my data, which I do anyway. My reasoning is that this issue has been occasionally manifesting itself for a very long time without much change and without apparent consequence other than the annoyance of hitting the skip button on boot. Yes, some data corruption/errors or SSD transistor failures might have happened that can't be corrected. Might even be getting progressively worse but seems pretty slowly. I'd probably also turn off fast startup in Control Panel's power button plan to try to clear any lingering RAM data errors that might carry over from one boot session to the next.

Jack E/NJ          

Jack E/NJ

• portos

Tinkerer

Thank you!

I am following your advise, just turned off the fast startup process (although not a great change, still boots pretty quickly) and will keep skipping the disk checking at the beginning. 

If anything new comes up in the future, I will keep this forum posted

Thank you, Jack E and Egidyocoelho for your time and expertise! 

Best

• You are Welcome!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)