2018 Acer Swift 1 SF114-32 eMMC SSD

Mateo620
Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I'm curious to know more about the eMMC SDD in the SF114-32. My particular SF114-32-P2PK came with a SanDisk DF4064. I believe the DF4064 is e.MMC v5.1.

Commonly eMMC SSDs are considered to be slow and to a certain extent they are. In my day to day use I don't really notice how "slow" it actually is. I suppose my workload just isn't taxing on the storage system so that's probably why.

I went ahead and ran a couple benchmarks just to see what the SanDisk DF4064 eMMC SSD in the my SF114-32 is capable of. I ran the following on battery. The first test I didn't do anything special to the drive. In the second test, I shrunk the primary Windows partition and created unallocated space 25% of the total available storage space. I made sure the trim command ran and then ran the test. I used Crystal Disk Mark 6.0.2 x64 for these first few benchmarks. I'll include other benchmarks some other time when I get a chance.

Bench 1: stock

Bench 2: 25% unallocated storage space

Performance did not increase with my modification but I am aware SSDs benefit from having this additional unallocated write space. I did not expect much to begin with and it can be easily reversed if the additional storage space is needed. Its just nice to see what this particular model is capable of. I did notice that if I kept testing the Seq Q32T1 Read MB/s kept dropping little by little but the Write MB/s stayed about the same. 

If we compare this to even an entry-level budget M.2 SATA SSD it will definitely look very slow side by side. However in my day to day use of this laptop I don't feel like I'm missing out on much by sticking with the onboard SanDisk DF4064 eMMC SSD. Booting up Windows, starting apps and programs feels quick enough as does reading and writing files locally or moving them to an external storage medium. I would like to find out if we can modify the BIOS in order to extract the most of the eMMC SSD by revealing settings Acer has not made available. Some Chinese branded laptops and tablets use this exact same eMMC SSD but often their BIOS has options to tweak the eMMC. 

What eMMC SSD came in your 2018 Acer Swift 1 SF114-32? 

Are you happy with its overall performance? 

If possible, would you want the option to tweak the eMMC in the BIOS?

Answers

• Mateo620
    I recently picked up another SF114-32 for less money than the cost of my first unit and the second one came with a different eMMC SSD. I wasn't expecting it but the second unit came with a "Hynix hC8aP>". This is the same eMMC SSD available in Microsoft's Surface Go 64GB. I ran CDM on it just to see what it could do and the result was pretty good. Compared to my first unit this eMMC SSD performs much better. 

Hynix hC8aP>

SanDisk DF4064

As you can see the Hynix hC8aP eMMC SSD is faster especially when it comes to write performance. I've since sold my SanDisk DF4064 SF114-32.
  • orbx
    orbx Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    I have the same HYNIX & don't know how to clone or backup (-as an ACRONIS *.tib file....... for instance)????????

Acronis WD Edition -from bootable media CD- doesn't show my eMMC!!!!!!!
    Although I did use the 18 version & not the 19 ?????????????
    Do I need the installed program??????????
    No adequate software at Hynix site..........
  • Mateo620
    edited July 2019
    Try a different cloning software?! Report back.

Or simply start with a clean slate/canvas?! Maybe?