Monitor choppy, laggy and delaying when connected to laptop

cwkim150
cwkim150 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
Hey all, I recently purchased a MSI GE63 and a Acer monitor and am having an issue that I cannot solve. 

1. The problem: when on the desktop and not running games, the laptop/monitor is extremely choppy. When browsing the web, moving a folder, watching a film - it’s extremely choppy/laggy on the external monitor ONLY. I don’t have this problem when it’s just the laptop.

- When playing any games on the external monitor, I.e. Escape from Tarkov, CSGO, SCII - I have ZERO issues with a choppy/laggy screen. 
- Set to use external monitor only (I am not extending the display).
- Connected by HDMI to HDMI. I initially tried to use Display Port (from monitor) to HDMI (computer) but there was no signal and could not get it to work. 

2. Hardware specifics:

- The monitor: Acer ED242QR Abidpx Black 24" 144Hz AMD FreeSync VA Curved Widescreen LED backlight Monitor, HDMI, DisplayPort.
- The laptop: MSI GE63, Intel Core i7-8750H processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8GB GDDR5, 256GB M.2 SATA and 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Disk Drive, Display: 15.6 in. FHD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz 3ms.

3. I’ve read many threads on here and tried to troubleshoot the issue. Changed the settings from advice on here. I.E.: I’ve turned off hardware acceleration on chrome. 

Thanks, guys!!

Chris 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    You shouldn't be seeing performance issues like that. Are you using desktop scaling in Windows? Or perhaps have the monitor set to the wrong resolution?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.