What is the maximum safe temperature that will garuntee the laptop won't be damaged?

NotGoodWthTech
NotGoodWthTech Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire 5 A515-52-51TT
Intel Core i5-8265U 1.6GHz 8th gen
The username says it all.

When I play Smite it usually stays around 60-77 degrees Celsius, but in an actual match, it usually ranges from 60-79 and sometimes 90 degrees Celsius.
With this being said, I just got this laptop 2 days before new years eve and I want to make sure the laptop lasts as long as possible, and the past few days in Australia have been humid, which is probably the cause for the very high temps.
I am not asking when is a temperature that my laptop can withstand, I am asking what temperature my laptop can go up to- being entirely safe for the laptop.

Also, does going up to 80 degrees celsius ruin the battery/laptop? 
I'm thinking of buying a cooling thing.

Also, should I charge and play games? If so, how often?
Is it better to charge and play than play through battery life?
How much should I be using my laptop in one day to play games? (with breaks of course).

Final question- How do I activate turbo boost? I have a Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz?

Generally, I'm asking what's a safe temp to play games at.
Thanks.

Best Answer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hardware longevity is a guessing game, with science applied. No one can say, for example, "At X-temperature your CPU will last for X-amount of years". It's just not that exact.

Most modern chips are designed to shut down around 100C. Below that, they are designed to throttle their speeds to stay within operating temperatures. It's safe to assume then, that if the CPU is not shutting itself down it is not damaging itself. Thermal throttling is not a damage to the CPU, but a function to prevent damage. So even running around 80-90C where you may see some throttling, it is not unsafe. Some would say, it hurts the longevity of the hardware in that range and I would tend to agree. Nothing lasts forever though.

Charging and gaming is fine. I would not recommend gaming without the charger. Running the battery from 100% to 0% is not ideal and you should avoid fully discharging the battery ever. - https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47972/~/lithium-ion-battery-overview

Turbo Boost is a feature of the CPU that is active by default. It will Turbo up to 3.9GHz on single core applications but may be slightly lower with multi-core workloads. Expect to see the CPU frequency fluctuate.

Answers

• NotGoodWthTech
    I NEED A HERO
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hardware longevity is a guessing game, with science applied. No one can say, for example, "At X-temperature your CPU will last for X-amount of years". It's just not that exact.

Most modern chips are designed to shut down around 100C. Below that, they are designed to throttle their speeds to stay within operating temperatures. It's safe to assume then, that if the CPU is not shutting itself down it is not damaging itself. Thermal throttling is not a damage to the CPU, but a function to prevent damage. So even running around 80-90C where you may see some throttling, it is not unsafe. Some would say, it hurts the longevity of the hardware in that range and I would tend to agree. Nothing lasts forever though.

Charging and gaming is fine. I would not recommend gaming without the charger. Running the battery from 100% to 0% is not ideal and you should avoid fully discharging the battery ever. - https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47972/~/lithium-ion-battery-overview

Turbo Boost is a feature of the CPU that is active by default. It will Turbo up to 3.9GHz on single core applications but may be slightly lower with multi-core workloads. Expect to see the CPU frequency fluctuate.

• NotGoodWthTech
    tobimaru said:

Let's say, in 365 days, I use the laptop for around 4 hours in total in 1 day for 300 days.
    Basically- I use my laptop for 4 hours in total for 300 of the 365 days (3 hours total of gaming above 65 degrees),
    Could you estimate how much damage would be on my laptop/battery?