Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 - Black Screen

Capnwow
Capnwow Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Hi, so I've bought the Nitro 5 AN517-51 literally the day before posting this. Everything was fine, went home, set it up and left it charging for the night. Wake up, boot it up, and test out a new game- it all worked perfectly. Leave to run some errands, come back, and now the scree  won't turn on. They keyboard is on, the power indicator light is on, and I can even hear it boot up when I listen closely, so the computer is definitely on. The only thing is that the screen remains black, please help a guy out. Just wanna play some games. And not have an expensive brick sitting on my table. 

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Capnwow 
    What is the full model number of the laptop?
    Please try a simple power reset to check the auto shutdown issue. Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop. It should work fine.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • AngryFreak
    AngryFreak Member Posts: 3 New User
    I purchased a Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop 3 weeks ago. In the middle of surfing the net it froze without warning, though I had only turned it on for half an hour. Being a dummy at tech, I tried removing the battery and putting it back again (this worked for my previous laptop), hoping the screen would unfreeze. After doing this, when I turn on the laptop the keyboard lights up and the fans on the bottom spin for a few seconds, then stop. The keyboard remains lit and the screen is constantly black. Plugging and unplugging the charging cord produces a single ‘beep’ sound. Holding down the power button for 20 seconds and turning it on again gives no result.also i use this info here and nothing. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this? Thank you.
  • Trey_storj
    Trey_storj Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer nitro 5 screen went black after a few minutes of taking it out of the box I tried to do a system reset but it didn't work. If anyone has a different solution please tell me!

• AbuAakil
    AbuAakil Member Posts: 1 New User
    Today I got my Acer nitro 5 delivered I unboxed it and updated the window and all the things ,then after restarting I shutdowned the lap, later when I turned on it has an blank screen only and keyboard backlight. that's it ,I need a solution soon.
  • TurtleGod
    TurtleGod Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sharanji said:
    Capnwow 
    What is the full model number of the laptop?
    Please try a simple power reset to check the auto shutdown issue. Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop. It should work fine.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    So I did that, and I left it off for 1 minute longer. But it still isn’t turning on. Both lights by the cord are on and the keyboard is on while the screen is still black
  • RobertYonas
    RobertYonas Member Posts: 5 New User
    Any info have this issue been resolve? 
  • Kyuori
    Kyuori Member Posts: 2 New User
    Acer nitro 5 AN515-53 series.
    Model : N17C1
    AN515-53-55G9
    MFG Date : 2018/12/11

Bought one 2 weeks ago.."New" from ebay.
    I was using the laptop for a week with no problem then it froze... Trying to restart it again but i cant just black screen with keyboard lights stays on..
  • Kyuori
    Kyuori Member Posts: 2 New User
    Just wanna say it's motherboard problem. The repair will cost 250$.
    Thank you acer.
  • Paula1212
    Paula1212 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    Acer Nitro 5
    AN515-42-R8HN
    MFG: 2018/11/28

I am encountering the same problem. I really need to do some work tonight when my Acer Nitro 5 which I purchased just 3months, won't start up. The backlight is just on. I tried resetting the battery thru the reset PIN hole. Nothing happens...

I have no idea why this happens. I am not a gamer and believe it or not, I am only using this laptop for doing some paperworks. I had an autocad installed but i have never used it, so I really dont know why this laptop is having a problem right now!

Can someone help me please? Acer?
    Thank you in advance!
  • spoverho
    spoverho Member Posts: 1 New User
    Black screen happened to me yesterday.  Same symptoms, will not POST but fans operating and keyboard lights up.  This seemed to happen to me after the power adapter wiggled loose from my laptop and may have been making and breaking contact.  I depressed the battery reset button for 10 seconds but this alone did not help.  I then considered that there may have been an issue with the power brick since it was potentially making and breaking contact with the laptop.  I reset the battery again and unplugged the power brick for about ten seconds.  I powered up, and I also went to the BIOS screen and reloaded the defaults.  See, this seemed to happen when I had just changed the keyboard lighting timeout option to off, but that may have been a coincidence.  From this point forward, it all worked again.  I have since turned the keyboard lighting timeout to "off" with no issues.

Oddly, I had just added 8GB of RAM and also swapped my HDD with SDD.  Even so, this seems to be a coincidence as the loose plug at the laptop connector seemed to be the culprit.  Do power bricks have an internal breaker?  Why did it seem to work only after I unplugged it for a while from my wall jack?  Gremlins?
  • sthays10
    sthays10 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Have you had any luck with this?  My acer, same model number, keeps doing the same thing.  Usually when it's plugged in, and doesn't happen as often when it's just on battery. 
  • Paula1212

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    The day after posting my question above, I tried resetting the battery again thru the PIN hole and it worked! Thanks.

BUT now, I am encountering the same problem again after not using it for a couple of weeks. 😤
    I am realy loosing my patience. I will try to bring it tomorrow to the service center hundred miles away from me 😓

P.S. Acer, with all due respect, why do you still have this kind of "support" portal if you won't even address most of our concerns?

Btw, I bought my laptop in Philippine PESO. The price might be cheap for those using $$$ but not for someone like me. I still purchased Nitro 5 even though it's very expensive on my end, because I TRUST you. That what makes me even more frustrated because I am not receiving the service equivalent to the value I paid. Sorry.

Regards,
    Frustrated Me
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Paula1212 said:
    The day after posting my question above, I tried resetting the battery again thru the PIN hole and it worked! Thanks.

BUT now, I am encountering the same problem again after not using it for a couple of weeks. 😤
    I am realy loosing my patience. I will try to bring it tomorrow to the service center hundred miles away from me 😓

P.S. Acer, with all due respect, why do you still have this kind of "support" portal if you won't even address most of our concerns?

Btw, I bought my laptop in Philippine PESO. The price might be cheap for those using $$$ but not for someone like me. I still purchased Nitro 5 even though it's very expensive on my end, because I TRUST you. That what makes me even more frustrated because I am not receiving the service equivalent to the value I paid. Sorry.

Regards,
    Frustrated Me

@Paula1212 This is NOT an Acer support portal, this is a community forum where other Acer users share their experience and knowledge which may or may not solve problems, if you would like us to try to help please start a new topic and give exact details of your problem. Acer have their own official support please go here for the contact information
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/PH/content/support

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    GENERAL NOTE TO ALL WHO SUFFER FROM "BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM" Black screen is not the problem, it is the symptom of a problem and can be caused by a number of different things. So please don't post your issue in someone else's Topic, instead start a new Topic of your own

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Paula1212

Tinkerer

UPDATE:

I got my laptop fixed 😌. And yeah, it took months. The service provider told me that the problem is the main board. The question why it happened was not answered tho.

Then I noticed something odd whenever i tilt the laptop, i can hear a small thing rolling... I don't know if it's a screw or a broken piece of plastic (they said it's like a pin and it's normal when a laptop was opened. I have no choice but to nod and smirk 😐).  Now, I am just hoping and praying that there will be no problem til I get a new one (if God wills) that is not Acer, of course ✌

• darthjedi
    darthjedi Member Posts: 1 New User
    So, I had kinda the same problem, when I turn the laptop on, the keyboard lights up, but the screen is off (not blank, like, literally not turning ON), when I connect USB devices, it does not light up or work. I had the i5 7th gen GTX  1050.  All I had to do was clean (take out then put it back in) the RAM. 
  • numnum92
    numnum92 Member Posts: 1 New User
    i had the same problem and still do sometimes ( once every 2 weeks or so :anguished: but every time it happens i just shake my pc for a sec and it works fine again might me something lose in the pc i dunno but it for sure fix my black screen
  • thetguy11
    thetguy11 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I fixed it. It is not a file nor a bug, not even a battery issue; it's simply a design error made by the company purposely so that when it breaks you would be forced to buy another when you take off the bottom of the computer. Location: it is located on the top left corner of the computer it looks like. A half moon plastic cut out on the frame. For me, it was slowly impaling the wire it was supposed to protect. The same wire that makes what you see on the screen if it's not too late. You can move it out of the way of the plastic.                                                  HOPEFULLY IT IS NOT TO LATE FOR YOU ACER NITRO 5 PLS FIX THIS  i have a the i5 8th gen GTX  1050ti
  • Firmin
    Firmin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Capnwow said:
    Hi, so I've bought the Nitro 5 literally the day before posting this. Everything was fine, went home, set it up and left it charging for the night. Wake up, boot it up, and test out a new game- it all worked perfectly. Leave to run some errands, come back, and now the scree  won't turn on. They keyboard is on, the power indicator light is on, and I can even hear it boot up when I listen closely, so the computer is definitely on. The only thing is that the screen remains black, please help a guy out. Just wanna play some games. And not have an expensive brick sitting on my table. 
    I have a ACER Nitro 5 and the screen is gone blank/black. Reset the battery for four seconds and switched it on after 10 mins yet the same problem persist. Could I get someone to come and have a look at the laptop. I don't mind paying for it. 
  • Kez12
    Kez12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Just received a refurbished nirto 5 and the laptop is charging up but not turning on at all!!!! Not even the fans or the lights on the keyboard are kicking in, I can't believe ive it.