TITLE: [HELP] BIOS RECOVERY filename request for Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51 ==BLACK SCREEN==

2»

Answers

• setiblaj
    setiblaj Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    Yep. I'd try Amazon first as it may be the fastest way. Jack E/NJ
    I believe that's one of the very few options I have left. Do you recommend any specific channel to get to an appropriate Amazon's customer support? Thanks!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Please send me the amazon link from which you ordered the machine for international shipment. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• setiblaj
    edited October 2018
    Well, the strangest of things has just happened. After leaving the laptop off for two days IT IS NOW ON (almost) FULLY FUNCTIONAL!!!

=========
    Yesterday
    =========
    Last night at around 10pm, working on my old trusted laptop on a heavy delivery I have due on Monday, I decided to take a break to clear my mind. I was just trying to think on something different and pondered how treacherous it would be sending my Nitro over to Amazon and later back to me. I then thought that I had never disconnected the battery on fears of voiding the warranty so I said to myself, what if I deplete the battery charge and leave it like that for half a day; it would be like a battery disconnect, right? Then I could try the previous attempts all over again.

So, I thought I would help the battery drainage by adding some power consumption device, and I remembered I had an old USB low-intensity keyboard LED light I could use to help with that.  I had already tried this device while assessing the USB ports when I noticed last week that the mouse was not working while the LED light did.

So, I connected my USB LED light and turned on the laptop. It immediately went to its catatonic black screen state, with the keyboard red lights on and the USB LED light also on. I decided to leave it like that and moved to the living room to keep on working on my Monday delivery, a sure all-nighter.

=============
    5 hours later
    =============
    Some five hours later, on another break at almost 2am, I went to my makeshift studio only to find the Nitro completely off. I believed the battery had drained out even though I had expected the full consumption cycle would require at least half a day given the very low consumption the dimmed LCD + red back-lit keyboard + USB LED light would add up and since the battery was most certainly almost full.

It definitely seemed weird it was off. Anyways, I decided to check if indeed the battery was depleted so I pressed the power button... ... ... ===> AND OH OH the ***GREEN ACER LOGO*** WAS beatifully painting my so far black screen and a few seconds later the Windows desktop was in front of my eyes!!!

Why it turned on, thankfully, it is still a mystery to me - of course the battery still had some 15-20% charge but what happened to the black screen issue?. I took some screenshots of Windows Update (some updates were done today!?) and the BIOS/UEFI version (it's v1.13 by the way so no flashing has occurred) and did perform a Driver Easy Scan (see attached pictures).

I had so much work to do for Monday that I had to return to my old laptop and by 10am I had to go to bed. Just over an couple of hours ago I have been able to more closely inspect the operative status of my Nitro and write this long message. 

=============================================================================================
    Everything works fine BUT THE USB PORTS seem to only provide ENERGY but NO DATA connectivity.
    =============================================================================================

The USB LED light turns on (I haven't touched it yet, my four-leaf clover ;) ), the USB 3.0 charges my iPhone although slowly, the mouse turns on (after carefully pulling connector the halfway out) but is not recognized by Windows, no USB stick is recognized not even by the Type-C connector (the USB stick light turns on but it is not shown in Windows Explorer). Windows Settings-Update&Security-Troubleshoot found nothing.

======================
    What should I do next?
    ======================
    I don't want to turn the notebook off for fear of the black screen happening again (I have set System-Sleep to NEVER). Should I update the BIOS through the .exe? Should I update drivers? By which method? Should I press "Check for Updates" on Settings-Update&Security-Windows Update?

I know there could be a hardware issue associated with the USB connections, but I would like to try everything without voiding the warranty before considering, once again, sending it back to Amazon or Acer.

Thank you very much for all your help!

EDIT: P.S.: The drive "D" is the only one recognized by the notebook and it is a MicroSD that it was indeed also recognized before the black screen issue.Diver

================
    Easy Scan results:
    ================

• OK! I saw your comment and I'm glad you got access to windows again! I do not recommend a bios update for now, as this could make the situation worse!
    It is possible that there was some accumulated static energy and as you completely discharged the battery, static energy has been eliminated! It's just a guess, but I may be wrong!
    The first step I recommend is that you disable quick startup in the power options and then restart the computer because you updated the drivers:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • setiblaj
    edited October 2018
    Done! Thanks for you prompt reply!

Just crossing my fingers before trying to restart! I believe I will enjoy the notebook a little bit before trying... ;)

• Great! Post the result here after restarting the notebook!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • setiblaj
    edited October 2018
    Well, I went to have dinner and when I returned to my computer for the restart it was sluggish and eventually got frozen in Windows but  I could move the circling blue cursor until it eventually totally froze. The screen then went black  :# but the blue cursor was the only item in the screen, although also frozen.

Crossed my fingers and pressed the power button for 10 seconds and it turned off. Waited for 5 minutes and after pressing the power button it immediately turned on without issues!

I have just checked Windows Update and it says "You're  up to date". Unresponsive USB port communications still the same.

==> What procedure should I use to update the 24 driver updates needed according to Driver Easy?
  • In my opinion, I would consider the option to restore the notebook to factory defaults, only to rule out that the problem was caused by some windows or driver update!
    First back up your personal files, as it is very important that the backup be done before installing windows!
    Then restart the notebook and press alt + f10 before the acer logo appears! You should see something like the images in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuWwuc2oH4

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Agree with @egydiocoelho on the factory reset. If it doesn't solve the issues, it's probably a hardware problem and you should return to Amazon for a full refund without delay. If it does fix the problem, make sure system protection is enabled so a Winupdate restore point is created if the problme is indeed due to a Winupdate. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• setiblaj
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will do that tomorrow.

Regards.
  • setiblaj
    Posting as a follow up... *** PROBLEM SOLVED ***

I have been too busy with work to be able to solve this issue...
    After the restore to factory defaults procedure my laptop got stuck again at black screen issue.

I finally took it to our local Service Center here in Venezuela a couple of weeks ago.

<div>egydiocoelho said:</div><div> On the boot being slow in bios, indicates that some hardware presented some problem!</div>

@egydiocoelho was right! Thanks man for all your help!

It was an unfixable motherboard issue (no USB ports, no bluetooth, no camera)! Warranty covered it all: new motherboard and labor. There have been some changes in the warranty policies: warranty is now regional so every computer bought in the Americas can be serviced under warranty in any Service Center in any Americas' country.

I got my laptop back yesterday. Excellent local service by TecnoAssist!

Thanks to the community for your help!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Glad that your problem was resolved in the warranty! Accept my answer and put the topic as solved!
    A merry christmas and a prosperous new year for you and your family  =)!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• setiblaj
    Glad that your problem was resolved in the warranty! Accept my answer and put the topic as solved!
    A merry christmas and a prosperous new year for you and your family  =)!
    Merry Christmas to you and all of your loved ones! Have a very happy 2019!