S7 "0% available, plugged in, charging".. but not!

Frog4334
Frog4334 Member Posts: 8 New User
Hi,

I have a S7 391. On windows 8.1. The laptop has stopped working on battery. The original battery was stuck at "87%, plugged in, not charging". It work fine on power, but the moment it's removed it dies. I got a new battery which I have installed, but this one says "0%, plugged in, charging" but never actually charges. 

I have tried all the tricks online I have found.
Pressing the power reset 4sec, leaving off for 5 mins.
Removing the battery node from the devices list, then adding back as new hardware.
Nothing works.

When I remove the device and add back, the battery charging animation in the tool bar works for about a minute, then it stops the the battery empty icon. Even though it says "plugged in, charging", there is no charging animation. unless i remove the device and add it back.

I am at a loss, I thought a new battery would sort it...

Answers

• Frog4334
    The changing port is not great too...would this effect charging? Could it power up and work on mains power, but not charge, because the port? Or if power is getting in to run the device, should it charge?
  • Hi! When opening the notebook to install the new ram, did you see any interlock buttons like those?

What version of bios is installed on your notebook?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Frog4334
    You spammed my question with something mis-posted?? :/
  • OK! Try this:
    Unplug the notebook from the electrical outlet and press the reset button on the battery for five seconds:

Then leave the notebook off for five minutes and test!
    If this does not solve the problem, uninstall the battery and AC adapter driver from the device manager and restart the notebook!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Frog4334
    Thanks,

But I have tried both those as stated in original post. I have even physically disconnected the battery too, since It's new a new battery. I have two battery now old and new and each behave differently

Old One
    87%, Plugged in, NOT changing

New One
    0%, Plugged in, CHARGING

Neither will change, and both make the S7 turn off as soon as remove the power.

Remove the drivers (one or both, battery ot AC) make no difference. The only slight change it the changing animation in the taskbar runs for about 30 secs, before stopping at the empty batter icon.

• What is the bios version installed on the notebook? Have you tried reinstalling the operating system?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frog4334
    I have not tried reinstalling the OS (I was going to go to 10, the only thing putting me off is not charging).

You think it would help, an OS refresh? Even when the laptop turned off and OS is not even running, it doesn't change... If it won't even charge when turned off, is OS even relevant?

I will try if you think it has an effect, I just couldn't see how it would as the laptop doesn't need to be turned on to charge normally??

• Frog4334
    oh.. I think the Bios was 2.15? But I couldn't update that could I? because you need some charge in the device before it will let you run the bios tools?

• It is possible that reinstalling windows will solve the problem! However I would first try to update the notebook drivers with the driverbooster or driverpack to see if it solves the problem!

Yes, the battery needs to be charged to update the bios!

Can you inform the partnumber of the batteries and the voltage?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Frog4334
    what are... driverbooster or driverpack?

Just for my own understanding, how would changing the OS, effect how it would charge when the laptop is turned off?

• Are programs that update the drivers! It may be that updating drivers solves the problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Sarah99
    Sarah99 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same problem with my laptop. Have you found a solution?
  • Ecip
    Ecip Member Posts: 84 Fixer WiFi Icon
    It doesnt seem logical to me that reinstalling an OS will solve this issue... the laptop should still charge when it is Off. Additionally, you could try and make a bootable USB with a linux distro on it, boot into that and see if it charges the battery. I'm also finding it weird that your new battery shows a 0% charge. Also, if you can run the computer with the current state of your charging port, it must be enough to charge the battery.

Either you got a DOA battery, or there's another issue at play. Where did you buy it from?

• Mikeshaw
    Mikeshaw Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same issue, did you ever manage to resolve it?